LCR4: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United - 01/11/23 @ 20:15 (Sky Sports)

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Fair enough - if I could pick one game to win, it’s this one.  We’re not winning the European Cup or league title this season.  This - along with the one I’d really love to win in May - is our chance of finally winning something.  The league gives lots of chances to catch back up - and top 5 likely finishes in the European Cup next season. 

Ultimately the best thing for the club is a higher league finish, for the money, the European competition and the ability to fish in the best pond for players. As a fan the priority will always be silverware, whatever form that takes but I understand if we play a slightly weakened side for this having seen the gap from 6th to top 5 extend to 5 points this weekend and dropping into 3rd in our CL group. 

No one believes we can win the PL or the CL but another top 4(5) finish and a last 16 place speaks louder than a LC win unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

Ultimately the best thing for the club is a higher league finish, for the money, the European competition and the ability to fish in the best pond for players. As a fan the priority will always be silverware, whatever form that takes but I understand if we play a slightly weakened side for this having seen the gap from 6th to top 5 extend to 5 points this weekend and dropping into 3rd in our CL group. 

No one believes we can win the PL or the CL but another top 4(5) finish and a last 16 place speaks louder than a LC win unfortunately.

It’s not even November tbf - I wouldn’t worry for a second re points ahead / behind.

Don’t forget - a League Cup win = European football next year, too :) 

Rotating the team and protecting those players who are absolutely critical to us doing well in the league or progressing in Europe is just pragmatic and realistic. And it's hardly throwing the game when you consider who featured in the side which dumped Man City out in the previous round. We rotated in the early rounds last season too and got to the final, so we weren't exactly throwing it then either.

There's also the matter of squad harmony and giving some players a fair opportunity to provide some contribution. Not everyone is necessarily going to be like Lascelles where they're content to do next to fuck all for two years and then jump back in with some career-best performances. 

The "they're young/professional athletes" line is just pure boomer, sorry like. :lol: Just because they're physically capable of managing a hectic schedule doesn't mean that playing more games won't impact them; the evidence was right there in front of our eyes yesterday. Meanwhile our competitors will rotate and keep their big hitters fresher. It's such an archaic view to just expect players to be robots and never get burnout, and sadly one that seems to pervade the governing bodies and broadcasters (though that's another story).

Ultimately, what's happened here is that the draw has been unkind and made wholesale rotation more risky. If we were at home to Port Vale no one would give a fuck if we dared to ask Javier Manquillo and Paul Dummett to put on a Newcastle shirt. 

I hope we include a couple of attackers from the youth side on the bench rather than packing it with full-backs and keepers again, especially if Eddie doesn't want to play people out of position. Even if it's purely to give the starting forward players a breather late on.

5 hours ago, Pilko said:

I hope we include a couple of attackers from the youth side on the bench rather than packing it with full-backs and keepers again, especially if Eddie doesn't want to play people out of position. Even if it's purely to give the starting forward players a breather late on.

Having watched the un19s in The UEFA thing on TV I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, Ben said:

After watching them yesterday these are there for the taking, I'm not sure if we'll have a fit enough team to do it though.

Yes I think normally we’d be licking our lips for this but injuries have come at a really unfortunate time. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Strongest team for me… if you’re fit and not carrying any injury you play… we’d be gutted if Arsenal and/or Liverpool got knocked out in this round and we didn’t progress having played a weaker team (or one that was much weaker)..

Lets get out there and give Man Utd a good old kicking when they’re down…

Given the situation with Isak, Wilson starts on the bench for me and only comes on if/when we need him. Switch the fullbacks out for Livra and Targett and give Hall a start on the left. Other than that, pretty much full strength.

In the end, I think I would rather we won something and finished 7/8th in the table, so on the basis of that I’m not keen on resting too many. Trippier, Burn, Bruno, maybe Wilson, but give the last two a half if we’re very much struggling.

So something like:

Dubs

Livra

Schar

Lascelles

Targett

Longstaff

Willock

Hall

Miggy

Gordon

Joelinton

Would be the side I would put out. Bench options to change the game, but still fairly strong. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I would rest Trips, Schar, Burn, Bruno, Longstaff, Almiron, Wilson, Gordon.  

Who would you bring in?

I can see Livramento, Dummett, Targett, Willock, Hall, Ritchie, then I’m struggling.

We are obviously training very minimally so perhaps they can recover a bit better than we think but playing 90 mins on sat for all of our best players bar Gordon must have been hard. 

Wilson must not play at all, he's made of glass. We need him for Arsenal and Dortmund. 

Gordon at CF for 60 mins to be replaced by a youth. 

Then I'd go; 

Pope,

Livramento, Lacelles, Murphy, Targett

Longstaff (60 mins), Bruno (60 mins), Hall/Willock,

Almiron (60), Gordon (60), Joelinton

At 60 mins if we haven't won it with our strongest sensible available team, I'd say fuck it and let the youth have a go. 

2 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Just out of interest those that basically want us to throw this game / rotate / play the reserves , would you be saying the same if we were playing Dortmund on Wednesday instead of Man United ? 

No because UCL is significantly more important than the Carabao Cup. 

21 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Just out of interest those that basically want us to throw this game / rotate / play the reserves , would you be saying the same if we were playing Dortmund on Wednesday instead of Man United ? 

Obviously not. Despite us having absolutely no chance of winning it, sadly the Champions League is more important than the League Cup. 

Btw how does rotate = 'throw the game'? Did you miss the Man City game?