West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

25 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I think if you go through the posts you’ll see that my point was to question whether he is the man for the big occasion games.

It's pretty clear that we'll be having a lot of big occasion games in the future and questioning Howe like that very much implies Howe isn't good enough for us and has to be replaced. :lol:

1 minute ago, Pata said:

It's pretty clear that we'll be having a lot of big occasion games in the future and questioning Howe like that very much implies Howe isn't good enough for us and has to be replaced. :lol:

No, that’s your extrapolation or an inference you’re drawing. It’s a logical or reasonable one, but it’s not what I think. 

At that point I thought there were games against big sides or big occasion matches where we looked a bit sheepish or where I think we didn’t give a good enough account of ourselves, and I just wanted to consider whether it might be an issue going forward. Hopefully it won’t be.

23 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Imagine this thread if Bowen had scored, Christ :lol:

?? would’ve been even more of a car crash than some people make it. Disappointing not to hold on but probably a fair result. They’re in good form at the moment and good at home, always though a draw would be a good result particularly with who was missing.

For those getting their Knickers in a twist, move into the next game folks, you don’t win every match in sport  ?

Just now, Theregulars said:

No, that’s your extrapolation or an inference you’re drawing. It’s a logical or reasonable one, but it’s not what I think. 

At that point I thought there were games against big sides or big occasion matches where we looked a bit sheepish or where I think we didn’t give a good enough account of ourselves, and I just wanted to consider whether it might be an issue going forward. Hopefully it won’t be.

Dude, this is what I got out of it as well. I didn’t lie. Perhaps you should at least consider how you worded it at first if I’m not the only one. 

it’s still a slightly odd take to me, considering the squad we have (which you did concede iirc)

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I still think he's hugely underrated like. 

There's nothing about Howe that doesn't suggest he's an elite manager. He hasn't won a major trophy yet.... which is funny because neither had Klopp, until he did.

I’m just annoyed at our left side pushing up for no reason what so ever to allow a counter and then they of course scores on that. Id have brought Targett and Hall on to shore that side up man. 

Just now, Kanji said:

I’m just annoyed at our left side pushing up for no reason what so ever to allow a counter and then they of course scores on that. Id have brought Targett and Hall on to shore that side up man. 

I'm not sure taking Burn off would have shored things up. He had Bowen in his pocket.

1 minute ago, STM said:

There's nothing about Howe that doesn't suggest he's an elite manager. He hasn't won a major trophy yet.... which is funny because neither had Klopp, until he did.

I also think that people forget that he is still only 45 since he has been coaching so long now. He didn’t have the advantage of a Pep or Enrique… Big name players who could walk into a coaching position at Barcelona. He’s pulled himself up from the lower leagues and fully deserves to be going toe to toe with PSG and AC Milan. That is clearly his level. May it long be with us.

Given the amount of injuries in the squad and the opposition our results for this run of games has been preposterously good. If anyone is actually feeling gloomy after a draw today, I admire their commitment to pessimism.

2 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Dude, this is what I got out of it as well. I didn’t lie. Perhaps you should at least consider how you worded it at first if I’m not the only one. 

it’s still a slightly odd take to me, considering the squad we have (which you did concede iirc)

I’m drawing a line under it now because it’s dispiriting to be told you’re having a meltdown or that your underwear is in a twist etc for expressing an opinion that isn’t popular or shared (one I’ve been really happy to debate and attentively so).

I can see how phrasing it differently or with more caveats would have helped, but isn’t this the point? For me, I come here to express my thoughts on NUFC and debate them. I don’t come to “win” arguments, I am often wrong and really happy to say it when I am. 

18 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm not sure taking Burn off would have shored things up. He had Bowen in his pocket.

Id have taken Longstaff and Anderson off and played Hall and Targett mate. It would be negative as all fuck but it’d have maybe given us fresh legs who wouldn’t have pushed up as much as we did. 

16 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I also think that people forget that he is still only 45 since he has been coaching so long now. He didn’t have the advantage of a Pep or Enrique… Big name players who could walk into a coaching position at Barcelona. He’s pulled himself up from the lower leagues and fully deserves to be going toe to toe with PSG and AC Milan. That is clearly his level. May it long be with us.

He must be the only coach who’s done every level of the English football and the Champions League? 

Player wise - Dan Burn qualifies for that feat also. Jamie Vardy I think too - any others? 

Edited by GeordieDazzler