West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

56 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

Seeing people imploding after an away draw is hilarious.

If it makes you feel better, some of our fans are also after, errr, an away draw at Wolves.

We're 5th.

Just taken 10 points from Chelsea, Wolves, Brighton and Palace.

Honestly, football fans sometimes are nuts (all clubs).

As i have said before, it is amazing the 'new' becomes the 'expected.  

Just now, brummie said:

If it makes you feel better, some of our fans are also after, errr, an away draw at Wolves.

We're 5th.

I know..... but we're 8th and didn't win.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

We're 5th.

I keep saying it but I’m sure it’s an internet thing. I never meet people with some of these mental knee jerk reactions in real life. 

Considering the performance midweek, how many injuries we have to key players and missing (arguably) our best player this season in Gordon, an away draw at a team above us in the league is OK.

Just hurts a little more when you concede so late on having had a really good chance to make it 3-1 before that. 

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Considering the performance midweek, how many injuries we have to key players and missing (arguably) our best player this season in Gordon, an away draw at a team above us in the league is OK.

Just hurts a little more when you concede so late on having had a really good chance to make it 3-1 before that. 

Yeah in isolation if you look at Isak’s missed chance and conceding late on it’s disappointing. However given how West Ham are playing and our injuries a point away is solid particularly given it was always going to be hard following on from PSG.

If we’d had Joelinton, Gordon, Willock, Botman, Barnes or even 3 of that lot available we probably win more comfortably but certainly see the game out. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah in isolation if you look at Isak’s missed chance and conceding late on it’s disappointing. However given how West Ham are playing and our injuries a point away is solid particularly given it was always going to be hard following on from PSG.

If we’d had Joelinton, Gordon, Willock, Botman, Barnes or even 3 of that lot available we probably win more comfortably but certainly see the game out. 

It's Gordon and Joelinton that are the biggest misses in this game by far. They are so much more aggressive in the press and alway seem to be able to get that recovery run back in.

Anderson and Tonali in hindsight should've come off around 75/80 minutes as both of them really struggled to get back and defend for their equaliser. But with injuries it's difficult to see who could've come on aside from maybe Hall or Ritchie for Anderson. 

Usual mantra pour moi.

Win your home games, draw your aways and you'll not be far from the glory. 

Absolutely feel that Isak not putting the 3rd in then conceding is a kick in the nuts but hey fucking ho, that's soccerball 😎

Bigger picture on the game? They scored from their 1st effort. Lascelles went over to the right, Tripps got back and told him to fill the, vacant, RB space which he started to then hesitated. Fatally. 

I think Pope, tho he got sent for a Chronicle in the process, may have been in two minds. Perhaps mired by his failure to come and command that chip from Zaire-Emery v PSG, mais non? 

Bruno should've been off

Their equaliser was poor tracking back. Both Anderson AND Longstaff. Tonali tried to get across but his block wasn't the best 😂

Commentators mentioning our "extra days rest" but I guarantee Wednesday's game will have taken way more, physically and emotionally, out of our lot than a Thursday away trip to Frieburg. 

Take the break, get the bodies repaired, crack on. 

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. We're down to the bare bones. Anderson did well, despite being played further forward than I think is best. Bruno was superb - best I've seen him play this season.

Incidentally, I was stuck with the West Ham fans and I thought their support was lousy. The place was like a graveyard until they scored. Then they were giving it large until we went ahead, and then they just got angry. 

22 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that. We're down to the bare bones. Anderson did well, despite being played further forward than I think is best. Bruno was superb - best I've seen him play this season.

Incidentally, I was stuck with the West Ham fans and I thought their support was lousy. The place was like a graveyard until they scored. Then they were giving it large until we went ahead, and then they just got angry. 

Welcome to West Ham.

9 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

Bit OTT, he was definitely a lot better. He kept it simple with his passing and retained it well but didn't do anything special to describe his performance as "Wonderful".

But that’s his game and makes him the player he is - he isn’t going to dribble past 2/3 players - hit screamers from 25 yards - it’s his tactical discipline that sets him apart - it looks easy - but it isn’t 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I was sat in the Bobby Moore stand behind the goal. They were proper shit and thick as fuck. Fair play to them for winning the Conference League, but if we did, I certainly wouldn’t be singing "Champions of Europe, we know what we are". Two lads behind me were asking each other why Maxi wasn’t playing.. and that he was our best player by far. 

Weirdest thing was that every single person in the stand was stood up the whole game and created next to no atmosphere. Didn’t have fuck all on our standing corner and probably twice the size. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

'Weird' is the idea that Tonali's second half performance was 'wonderful'. 

I came in here post match expecting everyone to think the same thing as i did, that Tonali was one of our better players. So to find that most were slating his performance shocked me.

On reflection, I accept he did make a few errors and he does need to stamp those out but I'm maintain his all round performance was OK.

He was better than Longstaff but Longstaff has credit in the bank where as Tonali doesn't.

Nobody trusts Tonali yet, heck, I didn't trust Gordon a month or so ago. He needs a run of top performances, just to shut people up and gain confidence. It might take a few month for that to happen.

I thought Tonali played a bit like Willock was playing in that period after he made the permanent move and before Eddie came along - a bit hesitant, like he wasn't sure he wanted to be here. Eddie turned the situation around and hopefully he can do the same with Tonali. Maybe there's a fitness issue as well.

With Gordon, he seemed to be trying too hard and because he'd already proved himself in the Premiership, I wasn't particularly concerned. Hopefully we'll see Tonali at his best soon, but to be honest, at this stage I'm not sure what his best is going to look like, and whether it'll be enough for the Premiership. Fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I thought Tonali played a bit like Willock was playing in that period after he made the permanent move and before Eddie came along - a bit hesitant, like he wasn't sure he wanted to be here. Eddie turned the situation around and hopefully he can do the same with Tonali. Maybe there's a fitness issue as well.

With Gordon, he seemed to be trying too hard and because he'd already proved himself in the Premiership, I wasn't particularly concerned. Hopefully we'll see Tonali at his best soon, but to be honest, at this stage I'm not sure what his best is going to look like, and whether it'll be enough for the Premiership. Fingers crossed.

Of course it will be enough for the Premier League, he's a class act.