West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

My thoughts on the game:

In the first half we seemed lethargic and second to everything, West Ham were good for their one nil lead although we seemed to be defending well. One thing that stood out to me was Lascelles reverting to bad decisions and taking too long to execute, the result was a few short hospital passes and intercepted balls which could have led to more damage, will be glad to see botman back asap.

Second half we wanted it much more, got the goals and then quite clearly the last few games caught up with us and it seemed all energy drained from us. A bit more nous and we would have won this; In the 86th minute or whatever it was we can´t go galavanting upfield when we have a one goal lead, we committed too many forward and were caught out by fresh legs and a greatly taken goal.

***A draw away and without a few of our top players (Gordon/Botman/Joe) is a great result. We are 4-5 points from the top four, patience and trust needed. After the break we will have a few players back***

I know the extended highlights are always massively biased towards us.  But looked like we played ok and had enough chances to win.  I still think Lascelles is just as much at fault for the first as Pope.  Second goal just looked like there were some tired legs out there and we weren't quite savvy enough to see it out and play the odds at 2-1. 

Frustrating to concede so late and I'm glad I wasn't watching it.  As those late goals are a lot easier to get over when you're not watching them live.  

Considering the injuries we've had and juggling multiple competitions.  I think we're in pretty good shape in the table and with our recent performances.  

Aye, it's always hard to take when you concede late, but a point away to an in form side with injuries and tiredness after trailing at the break is a net positive. Particularly when we should have been a man down too.

Hopefully a few rested and a couple back from injury will see us in better shape after the break.

Edited by The Prophet

I'm only a little annoyed because of the nature of the goals, particularly the first one which allowed West Ham to peddle their lower league shit play style for longer because they had a lead.

'Should' be smashing these teams really, but we are stretched and no doubt emotionally tired after the PSG game. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm only a little annoyed because of the nature of the goals, particularly the first one which allowed West Ham to peddle their lower league shit play style for longer because they had a lead.

'Should' be smashing these teams really, but we are stretched and no doubt emotionally tired after the PSG game. 

You seem to have an unusual (for you) amount of disdain for West Ham’s abilities? 😂

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

You seem to have an unusual (for you) amount of disdain for West Ham’s abilities? 😂

I just think they're awful :lol:

Also have a lot of absolute divers and whingers like Paqueta and Antonio.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just think they're awful :lol:

Also have a lot of absolute divers and wingers like Paqueta and Antonio.

In all fairness we should have been down to ten men and I do feel if defender had gone down here then goal would have been disallowed Isak goal

Didn't hate the Olympic Stadium anywhere near as much as I thought I would.

Obviously as a football stadium it's undoubtedly bad. The temporary nature of the stands to be able get close to the pitch is very naff. I stepped on a seat to get to the row in front as you often do and very nearly clean snapped it off. It's extremely difficult to generate an atmosphere in an away section with such a deep and narrow allocation separated by big open space. I was two rows from the front and my view was poor - while it seems if you're at the back it's like watching from another time zone.

That being said I've been in traditional stadiums with worse atmospheres. They've tried hard to make it feel like a home stadium with the fan parks inside and out. I arrived via Victoria Park and Hackney Wick and the latter is a very decent spot for a pre-match drink, while the area east towards the Stratford stations on the other side is really nice in terms of landscaping/public realm. As always the level of investment in London in the built environment blows my mind when you're used to the north. There seemed to be a decent post-match buzz all the way from the stadium up to Stratford International.

The weather definitely helped, mind. It felt a bit like being at an international tournament in the middle of summer. Can imagine it's nowhere near as nice to go to as the cold weather and dark nights creep in. That's when you want a ground where you can walk straight out and into the pub next door rather than across huge expanses of open space.

Edited by ponsaelius

I worked with a lad who, when the olympics was on he said to me “I’m working at the olympics this summer” and I answered “oh right, which event are you entering?” - he then looked at me confused and said “no, you don’t understand- I’m a volunteer”.

He had a hard time with jokes

25 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Obviously as a football stadium it's undoubtedly bad. The temporary nature of the stands to be able get close to the pitch is very naff. I stepped on a seat to get to the row in front as you often do and very nearly clean snapped it off. It's extremely difficult to generate an atmosphere in an away section with such a deep and narrow allocation separated by big open space. I was two rows from the front and my view was poor - while it seems if you're at the back it's like watching from another time zone.

That being said I've been in traditional stadiums with worse atmospheres. They've tried hard to make it feel like a home stadium with the fan parks inside and out. I arrived via Victoria Park and Hackney Wick and the latter is a very decent spot for a pre-match drink, while the area east towards the Stratford stations on the other side is really nice in terms of landscaping/public realm. As always the level of investment in London in the built environment blows my mind when you're used to the north. There seemed to be a decent post-match buzz all the way from the stadium up to Stratford International.

The weather definitely helped, mind. It felt a bit like being at an international tournament in the middle of summer. Can imagine it's nowhere near as nice to go to as the cold weather and dark nights creep in. That's when you want a ground where you can walk straight out and into the pub next door rather than across huge expanses of open space.

Apart from the view, I actually quite liked the stadium and the few bits around it. Just a joke pretty much nowhere takes cash. I had a block on my card that can’t be sorted for 48 hours so had to pay cash. Nowhere in the ground would do it, but a food stall which I think was in Hackney Wick, begrudgingly took my cash after I said I’d let them keep the change. 

One thing I did notice was that anybody could of got in the ground at half time as they had the bigger doors open to the stadium, rather than the turnstiles.

36 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

This is basically how I felt about it, too. Went in expecting to hate it, but was pleasantly surprised. It still has no business being a Premier League stadium, but they've done a decent job of mitigating that. Very American concourse, too. 

I think we stumbled into Two More Years after the match and it was a great atmosphere.

I hadn't seen that. I was already happy with the point after seeing that Bowen chance go wide at the end and Bruno getting away with no 2nd yellow, but even happier now having seen that. That match could have so easily been a 3-1 loss with a Bruno suspension.