West Ham United 2-2 Newcastle United (08/10/23)

BlueStar

Don't think we've been too bad but we are mainly passing it around prettily and struggling with ideas to break down their low block. West Ham won't change plan second half so we need to come up with something. Wilson up top with Isak on the left will presumably be the setup for 30+ minutes at least. 

Just now, David Edgar said:

Moyes has done Howe there. We look toothless against a low block, again.

This system doesn't work when we need to break teams down.

Needs to have a change up but I don't recall us ever starting in anything other than 4-3-3.

To me Anderson feels best suited to the left sided 8 position for now. He’s got good feet and passing but lack the explosivity to play LW/LF in this system. Tonali is more of a worry to me so far - he doesn’t really seem to know where he’s supposed to be either in build-up or defensively. I’d probably take Sandro off - move Anderson to LCM and bring on Wilson with Isak going out wide. 

Yeah we look slow and ponderous against a low block as usual and they are really getting 10 behind the ball every time and then just countering well. 

There goal was a sickener though, literally first attack of the game and ever touch just came off perfect for them. 

Sort of game it's gonna be really hard to get anything out of unless we fluke a goal ourselves. 

Wilson for Anderson would be the change. Hopefully a rocket from Howe will sort out some of the misplaced passes - we just look so sluggish all across the pitch. Shame as it's been a fairly even game all considered, conceded from a bad error 

Always a tough game this after the midweek however we've not been positive enough with the ball. Anderson looks lost whether its off the left or central. Isak is completely isolated and West Ham are so deep with the goal advantage there's no space for him to get in behind. Not that we're playing the right kind of balls to do that. This suits the way Moyes sets up so well. Eddie needs to change this . 

Just now, Aiston said:

Our complete lack of creativity shows so much in games like this. Creative midfielder a must.

Shoving an AM into the team isn't the silver bullet, man. Passers need players to create space for them to actually play balls into, otherwise you're banking it all on perfect passes.

West Ham stifled a very creative Brighton this way. Deep sides are hard to play against and it requires more than 1 player to get through them.

My biggest criticism of Howe is how he is basically allergic to changing systems. Generally I prefer a manager like that who is commited to his Plan A philosophy and imposing it on the opposition, but he takes it to the extremes. We barely ever even make minor adjustments.

We also see the problem with Burn playing LB in games like this.

He's absolutely useless going forward.

That one time that Isak beat a couple of people and played it to Burn in an advanced position was tragic, there was just no chance he was going to be able to do anything.