Newcastle United vs. Borussia Dortmund - 25/10/23 @ 20:00 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

3 hours ago, Isaak said:

Hey guys,

I'm in a really humble position and would really appreciate any kind of help!

I'm an international student currently studying abroad in the UK and I got a ticket for the match vs. Borussia Dortmund on this Wednesday.

My accommodation is located in Carlisle, from where I will travel to the match.

Unfortunately, I've just noticed that the last train from Newcastle to Carlisle leaves at 21:25, so even before the end of the match.

I really wasn't aware that the public transport services are (apparently) so poor after a Newcastle United home match, especially as it's UCL...

So do you guys have any advice for me how to get back to Carlisle after the match? Bus services seem to be poor too, and an Uber will be really really expensive.

I'd really appreciate any kind of help as I'm really desperate at the moment :/

Thank you very much!

Just really confirming what others have already shared…

Last train 21:25 so you’d need to be out the ground by 21:05 and pre paid your ticket and still need to be brisk as it’s quite often the furthest platform from entrance. It’s currently marked up Platform 9. Next train is 5:42 Thursday which even maximising the late drinking hours at certain places you’ll be left a long layover in the station.

If you are able to i’d cancel your hotel in Carlisle and book somewhere in Newcastle/Gateshead instead for the night and get a train next day like others have suggested. Don’t think getting the 22:53 to Hexham a viable alternative as taxi from Hexham to Carlisle would cost you a fortune.

If you are really stuck I’ve a spare room at mine (Gateshead) you can use if you want to meet on the night as I’ll be out with a few on here pre & post match. Can drop you back next morning in Newcastle for your site seeing/train if need be. 

Good luck 🤞🏻 Happy to help if stuck 👍🏻

Thank you so much for your advices and the kind offer! @LFEE

I'm now planning to take the 22:53 train to Hexham and get an Uber from there. I know that'll be quite expensive, but as I'd like to take advantage of my stay in the North of England (I actually study in Birmingham) and travel to Lake District on Thursday morning, it is probably best to spend the night in Carlisle because of its close proximity to the national park.

When booking the hotel in Carlisle a few days ago, I simply wasn't aware that there will be no trains after the match as an extended public transport contingent on matchdays is just so usual in the country I'm from.

Aye it’s absolutely scandalous the last rattler back further than Hexham into the dark west is that early.

Might be worth seeing if you can prebook your taxi from Hexham with a local firm btw @Isaak I’d not be 100% certain Uber, Bolt etc will work there. 

Very post regularly (if ever!) but feel like I've got to offer something to the forum .  been a reader for years. But what a top guy! Need more people like this in the world    

43 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Just really confirming what others have already shared…

Last train 21:25 so you’d need to be out the ground by 21:05 and pre paid your ticket and still need to be brisk as it’s quite often the furthest platform from entrance. It’s currently marked up Platform 9. Next train is 5:42 Thursday which even maximising the late drinking hours at certain places you’ll be left a long layover in the station.

If you are able to i’d cancel your hotel in Carlisle and book somewhere in Newcastle/Gateshead instead for the night and get a train next day like others have suggested. Don’t think getting the 22:53 to Hexham a viable alternative as taxi from Hexham to Carlisle would cost you a fortune.

If you are really stuck I’ve a spare room at mine (Gateshead) you can use if you want to meet on the night as I’ll be out with a few on here pre & post match. Can drop you back next morning in Newcastle for your site seeing/train if need be. 

Good luck 🤞🏻 Happy to help if stuck 👍🏻

Edited by tombrownnufc3
Add more

12 minutes ago, Isaak said:

I'm now planning to take the 22:53 train to Hexham and get an Uber from there. I know that'll be quite expensive, but as I'd like to take advantage of my stay in the North of England (I actually study in Birmingham) and travel to Lake District on Thursday morning, it is probably best to spend the night in Carlisle because of its close proximity to the national park.

When booking the hotel in Carlisle a few days ago, I simply wasn't aware that there will be no trains after the match as an extended public transport contingent on matchdays is just so usual in the country I'm from.

No problem. You can always come back to me if you change your mind 👍🏻

You will be talking 3 figures for your Uber I'd imagine. To give you an idea my train was cancelled on that route last year or year before (quite a common occurrence) and with it being the last one I had to ring the train company to complain and they ordered me a taxi (Corbridge to Gateshead) and that was £70+ then before cost of living increases. Other friends booked their own that night and that company charged them £90+ for practically same journey same night. Those journeys were 23-25mile. Yours is going to 38-40mile so I repeat I’d advise against it but your call. If you can get hold of one (you’ll need to check in advance) the journey will be around an hour.

Also when you are saying The National Park are you referring to The Lake District? If so Carlisle although roughly in that area isn’t particularly a straightforward transit. You really need a car to get around The Lake District. It doesn’t really have any great train links and buses will be slow and infrequent.

Carlisle itself has very little to offer other than a canny night out Fri/Sat around Botchergate.

I’d strongly advise you to rethink your plans 👍🏻

58 minutes ago, LFEE said:

No problem. You can always come back to me if you change your mind 👍🏻

You will be talking 3 figures for your Uber I'd imagine. To give you an idea my train was cancelled on that route last year or year before (quite a common occurrence) and with it being the last one I had to ring the train company to complain and they ordered me a taxi (Corbridge to Gateshead) and that was £70+ then before cost of living increases. Other friends booked their own that night and that company charged them £90+ for practically same journey same night. Those journeys were 23-25mile. Yours is going to 38-40mile so I repeat I’d advise against it but your call. If you can get hold of one (you’ll need to check in advance) the journey will be around an hour.

Also when you are saying The National Park are you referring to The Lake District? If so Carlisle although roughly in that area isn’t particularly a straightforward transit. You really need a car to get around The Lake District. It doesn’t really have any great train links and buses will be slow and infrequent.

Carlisle itself has very little to offer other than a canny night out Fri/Sat around Botchergate.

I’d strongly advise you to rethink your plans 👍🏻

You can get the train to Windermere.

Stopping over in Newcastle is still the best idea, even if getting the first train at 0542.

1 hour ago, alexf said:

Plot twist when it turns out LFEE is the next Jimmy Saville and has just lured him back to his lair. 

:lol: Fucking hell. 

Aye @Isaak. The train from Newcastle to Carlisle is a direct train and about an hour and a half. Get the 7:30am train from Newcastle (assuming there is one around that time which Im sure there is) you'll be back in Carlisle at 9. Saves you a massive hassle and unnecessary cost, assuming you can cancel your night in Carlisle. Up to you obviously but you can get to Newcastle, "enjoy the game", hang around a bit, stay overnight and be back in the lakes for breakfast all in relative ease and comfort. Would definitely be my suggestion.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

20 minutes ago, madras said:

You can get the train to Windermere.

Stopping over in Newcastle is still the best idea, even if getting the first train at 0542.

👍🏻 Very true (but not direct). You’ll need to change at Penrith. There seem to be concerns about some services/weather that day (Thursday) also according to LNER.

Hope all goes well for him 🤞🏻

Would maybe make sense to hire a car for a few days if he can drive for how much he’s planning on paying for taxis and trains and certainly would get more out of The Lake District that way? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

28 minutes ago, LFEE said:

👍🏻 Very true (but not direct). You’ll need to change at Penrith. There seem to be concerns about some services/weather that day (Thursday) also according to LNER.

Hope all goes well for him 🤞🏻

Would maybe make sense to hire a car for a few days if he can drive for how much he’s planning on paying for taxis and trains and certainly would get more out of The Lake District that way? 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Change is at Oxenholme. The buses in the Lakes are good but deffo need a car to get the best out if it. Especially the Western side.

Edited by madras

8 hours ago, Isaak said:

If you've actually booked a hotel there I'd agree in suggesting changing it last minute if you can and booking a night in Newcastle. As others have said you can be back in Carlisle the next morning very easily.

Reiterate what Disco said regarding Uber at that time of night in that part of the world on a midweek. It almost certainly won't exist. You will have to pre-book with a local taxi firm. It will probably end up being cheaper to simply book a night in Newcastle (even if you couldn't cancel your other one in Carlisle).

You're right about public transport in this country in general but Newcastle - Carlisle isn't really a major route as very few people live in between and it's too far/slow to be a commuter route between the two places. It did always surprise me that the later one never went all the way to Carlisle (I used to live that way so regularly got last train home) but clearly the economics of it don't stack up.

Just stay in town @Isaak and then leave the following morning as early as you need to. Do not chance an Uber or public transport that late in the night when a lot could go wrong and you’re stranded. (That is easily one of my worst fears in life)