Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Well it sounds like we gave them a decent game...could have won if the chances were taken. They weren't, but Dortmund are supposed to be one of the best so there's no shame in narrowly losing this one.   There's still 3 games to go and we're still in control of our own destiny....does no-one else remember the last CL games we had where we had to hope for other teams results. We're in a much better place now, and playing against harder teams

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah he’s a proper cunt. I don’t actually mind people coming out and stating they have an issue with Saudi involvement but now it just seems like he slates the club and enjoys winding up the fans. It’s like he can only see it from one standpoint. The childish social media posts completely lack the class of other established writers. He can fuck off. 

Half his twitter is promoting Fury's fight in Saudi Arabia.

2 minutes ago, Beren said:

Surreal trip continues. Ghodoussi and Staveley are on the table next to me at breakfast. They thought we played well second half but that CL is ruthless.

Did you apologise for the part you played in this loss? 

9 minutes ago, Beren said:

I know it's more than a little self-important but I genuinely feel guilty for attending yesterday. [emoji38]

Are you actually 0-0-14 when attending Newcastle fixtures? :lol:

Dortmund were great like, probably only Arsenal (after the penalty shout) that has come to SJP in recent memory and comfortably outplayed us, although in a different manner to Dortmund.

That said we were still unlucky in our own way, the ref was absolutely shocking too.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Aye, for all I’m frustrated about us not getting a deserved draw based on hammering them second half, you can’t really argue with the fact that defensively they were extremely solid through the first 75 mins and going forward they were excellent for 45 mins. It’s a strange result because I think 1-1 would be fair but given they came here and put on such an excellent performance then you can argue they deserved the win. We need to go there fired up and desperate to make amends 

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Dortmund were great like, probably only Arsenal (after the penalty shout) that has come to SJP in recent memory and comfortably outplayed us, although in a different manner to Dortmund.

That said we were still unlucky in our own way, the ref was absolutely shocking too.

They coped better than most teams but I'm not sure they comfortably outplayed us. We could have scored 2 or 3 goals on another day. Might be being generous I guess, obviously they were good. 

Just now, Beren said:

Yup, includes some goalless draws.

Something to be proud of. I was the family jinx for a while after rocking up for my first game of the season in 92/93 and watching us get beat 1-0 off Grimsby having won 12/12 before that. Soon wore off when we beat Wolves 2-1.

At the end of the day you have to be super clinical or rely on lady luck at the very top.

Longstaff missing his shot in the last seconds at Milan.

Us Hitting the bar twice last night

All three go in and we are on 9 points after only playing really well in one and half games? 

On balance it might drive us on more knowing we can't rely on team spirit and stamina but need that extra magic or seasoned pro when called upon.

Coped is an understatement like, they completely shut Trippier out and Gordon was basically our only threat for 70-80 minutes. We had 11 corners which they dealt with easily.

We hit the bar twice but both would have been flukey as fuck had they dropped in :lol:

It's not a criticism of our performance, Dortmund just looked fit and extremely organised while being very dangerous on the break.

Trippier usually gets the ball and consitently finds a way to progress us in a dangerous way but he looked completely shackled last night, they covered his passing options ridiculously well all game 

Edited by Hanshithispantz

36 minutes ago, Beren said:

Surreal trip continues. Ghodoussi and Staveley are on the table next to me at breakfast. They thought we played well second half but that CL is ruthless.

Beren the Jinx heading back to the hotel with Mehrdad and Amanda last night

A26-DVH7-CUAA3-Nqu.jpg

27 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye, for all I’m frustrated about us not getting a deserved draw based on hammering them second half, you can’t really argue with the fact that defensively they were extremely solid through the first 75 mins and going forward they were excellent for 45 mins. It’s a strange result because I think 1-1 would be fair but given they came here and put on such an excellent performance then you can argue they deserved the win. We need to go there fired up and desperate to make amends 

Sometimes you have to accept that a team turns up and is just better. They were well drilled, slick on the ball and broke quickly on the counter. I thought their midfield was excellent. Bruno was on his own insofar as quality play in our midfield. Longstaff and Joelinton both had off nights and that’ll kill you in these games.

The tactical reviews of this will be interesting. I couldn't quite figure it out at the time but it just felt like they always had an extra man available. On the break, they consistently had an overlap option or when we had the ball with the likes of Trippier/Bruno, they'd often hunt in 3s which you'd think would leave good outballs but they always seemed to shut the passing lanes down well.

It did feel like the Arsenal game where we had plenty of our own chances but it never felt like we were truly the better team.