Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Longstaff played 90 minutes on Saturday and Joelinton 80 after just coming back from injury. Possibly something to be learned there because both looked unusually lethargic tonight. Can't really afford to have the two runners in midfield not on it against someone like Dortmund. 

Just now, Pancrate1892 said:

We always struggle against a low block. The first goal was always going to be pivotal, give them something to protect otherwise the game could have flipped like PSG. 

This is it for me, losing Isak took the bite out of our midfield and allowed them to cut through our press and then the goal allowed them to sit deep and make us do all the work knowing we'd struggle, frustrating night.

Difficult match to assess. They were better than us in the first half, they kept finding a man free on the edge of the box with lots of space. They had a bunch of good chances. They were getting to every first ball and getting their heads on crosses.

Second half was completely different, we dominated them especially in the last twenty. They were extremely lucky that we didn’t score.

Overall, an unfair result but they are a good side and defended well. Isak going off also fucked us 

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

Is there a down thumb.  Jesus Christ, another one on suicide watch.

It's genuinely fascinating how other people view games at times.

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff I'm reading.

Overall. A good solid performance with a lot of huff and puff against a very well organised dogged defensively well set up side. Had 2 chances and hit the bar, so we're unlucky with a loss. Limited options to change a game to go for the kill and it needs to be kept in perspective. Enjoying every second of being in the CL and still with more than a fighting chance of qualifying from the "group of death". Looks us it's between us and Dortmund for 2nd and 3rd so will be very tight and make for a hell of an away fixture at Dortmund. Howay the lads 

Just now, KaKa said:

It's genuinely fascinating how other people view games at times.

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff I'm reading.

Dread to look back at it.

It can only make sense if they consider Borussia Dortmund to be an average team.

How anybody could come to that conclusion f*ck knows

1 minute ago, AJ9 said:

Did we go 4231 in the last quarter? Wasn’t sure what our shape was.

Yes we did.

Willock went left and Gordon was playing off Wilson, and both were interchanging at times. Almiron stayed in the right.

Double pivot of Bruno and Tonali.

Just now, Mattoon said:

This is it for me, losing Isak took the bite out of our midfield and allowed them to cut through our press and then the goal allowed them to sit deep and make us do all the work knowing we'd struggle, frustrating night.

Definitely. They had a great spell first half but only actually scored after we'd had 15 mins of solid possession (which we didn't do much with) 

But the way some cunts are going on you'd think we got outplayed when they rarely entered our half 2nd half 

2 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

I knew this tediius, negtive dullard would he itching to get amongat it.

What an absolute whopper.

[emoji38]

As per, you single out my post, instead of the ones being far far more negative, and don’t offer anything objective - as always. You basically agree with everything I’ve said, you just fancy an argument and don’t have the balls to admit it. Find someone else for your daft obsession dude.

Edited by Ronaldo

Just now, BullyDogs said:

One concern is our ability to come from behind against a well drilled team with a low block. Still say we need a top creative midfielder in there

That's it. Teams like man city and Liverpool seem to turn pressure into goals even against a low block, we seem to run out of ideas 

Good game, interesting tactical battle. Howe had to roll with the punches after the injuries - pretty sure we were a form of 4-4-2 at the end.

Draw probably would've been a fair result on balance of chances but it felt like one of those nights after so many missed opportunities. It's a level you so often get punished if you don't score.