Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

On another night we win that, but BVB turned up and executed their plan. 

Result aside, these injuries piling up are big worry considering we’ve got Arsenal before the next BVB game and Chelsea before we head out to Paris. 

I think losing the game AND having Isak and Murph go off with injuries AND the impending Tonali ban makes it feel a lot worse than just a result in isolation.

Feels like the momentum we’ve built has hit a pretty big speed bump with huge games v Dortmund, Wolves, Man Utd, Arsenal and Bournemouth on the horizon plus the away game in Paris. Managing Wilson through to the international break is going to be key.

Hate giving anything away but getting a lot of the team refreshed after this hectic run by resting them between Wolves and revving them up for Arsenal is a must.

Yeah the injuries certainly make it seem worse. Like some have said on another night we nick something from that. We all knew what a tough group it is and there will be fine margins in most games. I see no reason why we can't go out to Dortmund and take something.

Really feel for Murphy, was excited when he came on after his performance at the weekend. Let's just hope it can heal quickly.

When we got this group, I thought getting 3rd and qualifying for EL was more than enough for this year. I think that’s why I am not really upset over the result we had yesterday even though we were so close to a draw or even a win. 

Edited by Solitude20

1 hour ago, CallumG6 said:

On another night we win that, but BVB turned up and executed their plan. 

Result aside, these injuries piling up are big worry considering we’ve got Arsenal before the next BVB game and Chelsea before we head out to Paris. 

Agreed I think the injuries are a worry now. If Isak goes down for several weeks you’re relying on Wilson playing most games and then he could get injured.

I thought Dortmund looked like a hardened, experienced champions league side. We were unfortunate with those couple chances which hit the bar but Wilson should score that main chance, has to really. I thought in general we looked off it in midfield and as much as I like Miggy those kind of games sometimes highlight our lack of quality in the final 3rd against top quality sides and that we’re a side still building. 

Still all to play for though in remaining games 

Felt we hesitated to shoot when around the box, need to test the keeper. Too many extra passes and the like. The Wilson chance is killing me this AM. Overall I’m just very clearly gutted about Isak, Murphy and Tonali. 

7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Felt we hesitated to shoot when around the box, need to test the keeper. Too many extra passes and the like. The Wilson chance is killing me this AM. Overall I’m just very clearly gutted about Isak, Murphy and Tonali. 

I thought we were too heavily reliant on Gordon to make something happen to be honest and I think an upgrade at RW is inevitable at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

If you need any further evidence on what a weapons grade cunt Oliver Holt is, I present Exhibit A:

IMG_5236.thumb.jpeg.7c7b7624e6450582c94e154974d6a136.jpeg

Yeah he’s a proper cunt. I don’t actually mind people coming out and stating they have an issue with Saudi involvement but now it just seems like he slates the club and enjoys winding up the fans. It’s like he can only see it from one standpoint. The childish social media posts completely lack the class of other established writers. He can fuck off. 

After getting past the obvious initial disappointment of a loss, it's definitely the injuries ruining my mood more. Getting out of this group was always a bonus for me but fucking hell, our poor lads are dropping like flies right now.

27 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah he’s a proper cunt. I don’t actually mind people coming out and stating they have an issue with Saudi involvement but now it just seems like he slates the club and enjoys winding up the fans. It’s like he can only see it from one standpoint. The childish social media posts completely lack the class of other established writers. He can fuck off. 

You'll have to narrow that down, tbf. Had the misfortune/lack of judgement to watch a few Sunday Supplements and, for me, most football editors/journalists are cunts.

Make a living hanging on the coat tails of people doing something they could only dream off and massage their own egos with their opinions. Bit like Doctor's receptionists :lol:

Game of few chances and one moment of brilliance won it. They scored with one of their 2-3. We didn’t. 

It did feel like on the night. That our lads who have been over-achieving at the level and playing beyond all expectations (Lascelles, Longstaff, Burn) were all found wanting at times in different areas of their game. On top of that, our elite level players like Bruno and Trippier were nullified and didn’t play well, either. 

Tough ask against a team like that to have so many below par. Whether that is due to their or our tactics, conditions, or a number of reasons. It made it hard, either way. Never really felt like we were going to score. 

Injuries on top are an absolute shitter. Hindsight and all that. But not getting someone in who could at least cover for Isak and Wilson, whilst usually playing wide or something. Is starting to look like a ridiculous decision. We have the same 14-15 players starting games as last season. 

To end on the positives. Gordon was immense. Pope was brilliant and his distribution was even improved. Schar was his usual self. Oh and after not featuring much or at all. I thought Targett and Willock were both excellent off the bench.  

If we’re going to talk about performances in general —

I felt the right side trio of Trippier, Longie and Almiron looked off and never got it really going. Joelinton seemed bypassed far too much and was jogging back not even busting a gut to catch Nmecha (who allegedly played the best game of the season so far for himself). Thought Bruno was fine and Gordon was dangerous and trying to do his inside running combinations. thought the CBs were fine in general and Burn looked ok too. Was frustrating not to see us take pops at goal when around the box throughout the match. Few times we had thru balls and 3 v 2s and the pass didn’t come off. 

Can’t stress how flat it felt once Isak went off. He’s just a marvelous all around footballer and in absurd goal scoring form too. Outside of their early spell we should have taken something before conceding. Second half we looked frazzled, rushed a lot but still created multiple chances to level and didn’t. Not our day as it’s been said. Sooner Willock returns the better. 

waffling a bit here but trying to get the is out of my head. 

Edited by Kanji