Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Game of fine margins. A timely reminder to those who got/get carried away.

Man Utd would’ve won that game at home. #bluetouchpaperlit

We are a good team but still a bit green at this level. Quicker you suss out the ref for example the better.

Draw would’ve been a fair result but a 0-1 is not a total robbery either.

Hopefully we can finish 3rd and regroup.

Man U would have better players to call on when their big hopes for the game went down. They wouldn't be playing against CL sides with the likes of Almiron, Burn, Murphy, Longstaff, Lascelles, Joelinton etc. Otherwise they'd have bought them long ago.

Coming off the back of 9 games undefeated and beating the likes of PSG and Man City in that run certainly adds to the disappointment of tonight. When you're riding a crest it always feels worse when you get knocked off. Howe will have us firing on all cylinders again by Saturday.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Man U would have better players to call on when their big hopes for the game went down. They wouldn't be playing against CL sides with the likes of Almiron, Burn, Murphy, Longstaff, Lascelles, Joelinton etc. Otherwise they'd have bought them long ago.

Yet the narrative is we are great they are shite. We are both good.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Also think it's unnecessarily negative to be looking at 3rd already, I'm very confident Howe won't be and will still be convinced he can top the group.

The loss was frustrating, but any conclusion more negative than that is unreasonable. We're beyond the point of counting moral victories, but we very well could have won had we converted our several chances, and we'd be top of the group.

The actual concerning point from tonight is the bloated injuries list - Botman, Isak, Murphy, Tonali (ban), Barnes (have I missed anyone?)... If Bruno picks up a yellow against Wolves I reckon I might get some time on the pitch against the Gunners.

Everything about that was just flat imo. Performance both team wise and individually, atmosphere, game itself. Don't think anyone stood out as being particularly bad or great. Isak injury had me whiteying. Got fucking soaked sat in bloody Bar 1892 as well.

Made qualifying for the Ro16 much harder now. Need something from one of the away games and need to beat Milan at home. Big ask with the stretched squad we've got.

Sorry everyone. [emoji38] Probably the best I've seen them play IRL though.

Seemed more vulnerable from our own set pieces than Dortmund. Thought we were a bit too direct first half, not really taking care of the ball. Have to give credit to Dortmund, they were really fluid on the break. And showed a bit of incisiveness even when we were set.

Second half was good. Couldn't believe we didn't score, but haven't seen the replays. Feel completely fucking cursed tbh. Convinced I'll never see them score. Each chance seemed more gilt-edged than the last.

Didn't leave feeling that despondent but injuries and fixtures don't bode well.

Think there was a lot of unwarranted disparaging comments about Dortmund before the game. They were the better team IMO, although a draw would have been a fair result.

That was my first CL match at St James’ ever, and I fucking loved it. The result didn’t go out way but I thought we were evenly matched, although we arguably had the better play I think.

Dortmund had a plan and executed it to a t, so to speak. Fair play to them. The Dortmund fans were fantastic too, seriously gutted I’ll not be able to see the yellow wall in person. 

We’ll regroup and come back stronger I’m sure. 

1 hour ago, pubteam said:

Maxi we miss you.

Gordon has scored more league goals in fewer league games than ASM this season.  Despite Gordon playing in possibly the world’s highest ranked league, and ASM playing in a glorified pub league.

Honestly, those who go on like this every time we lose need to put their dummies back in. 

12 minutes ago, duo said:

Am not sure why some pundits are writing off Newcastle now. It was an even match - Dortmund took their chance where we didn't. Simple as that - neither keeper was really worked.

Hinges on the next game really. Probably need to win it now. Do think less possession and the onus being on them to attack us in front of their fans might suit us, my main concern is how we deal with the atmosphere there. 

We were more intense and huff and puff, they were more poise and technique but overall an even game, draw would have been fair. We're building, going the right way. I'm more concerned about over reliance on some players and worries about if they are missing.

Final thought for the night; it was fun at first but I really can't fucked with McCoist's shtick these days. All that over-enthusiasm, the I tell ya whats, If I'm being totally honest with yous, I tell ya something, Fletch. Tedious. Unpopular opinion I'm sure but Jenas is miles better. He's generally one of the best contributors across the broadcasters. 

We had a few chances to take it first half and we fluffed it and then conceded such a poor counter goal. Annoying. Thought we had a few chances to take it second half apart from the obvious and again we played panic football. We’ll learn from today and we’ll get some away results. 

Not overly keen on Jenas though there’s certainly worse. Completely agree about McCoist, he’s like a caricature of himself. Yes mate, you’re there to “be totally honest” and to “tell us something”. Minus the ‘off air’ racist comment obviously, someone like Ron Atkinson was a much more authentic co-commentator back in the day. Heck even the much maligned Andy Townsend too. A lot of commentary is so hyperbolic and childish it distorts  the moment of genuine enthusiasm / analysis.

We should have drawn with the # of chances we had and we’ve played worse and drawn or won before. Not our night. We weren’t scoring for another 90 minutes. It would have hit the woodwork another 4x

What I think we lack is being able to control a game from the middle of the pitch like Dortmund and most top teams can across Europe. We’re great in transitions, organised, fast on the counter, press well but the difference between us and them on the ball is clear. We still look a bit panicked at times. Although I guess until we can upgrade the midfield closer to Bruno’s level that will happen. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us beat Dortmund in the return leg though. 

Schlotterbeck is as good as the hype.