Euro 2024: Not worthy of a thread

Magpie

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

No idea but I still think he's right. It used to be a must-watch whenever Brazil were playing. They're still very good but they don't have you gripped anymore. Neymar seems to be the last of a kind.

https://www.givemesport.com/ronaldinho-reveals-why-he-slammed-brazilian-national-team/

I'm still as obsessed as ever. Maybe it helps that there has only ever been one tournament where I wasn't a neutral.

12 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not just watching England, but I can't remember the last time I was engrossed in a tournament. Is it just me or is interest waning? There just doesn't seem to be any identity anymore from country to country, it's more or less the same the world over now.

Brazil are still a cracking team but Ronaldinho nailed it recently, they don't play like Brazil anymore. 

I'm not saying players care any less, but club football is always the priority. For most fans the same applies, too.

I reckon change it so tournament squads are similar to the ones that go to the Olympics. Under 21s/23s with a few overage players, there'd still be a rawness about them and make it fun. 

Differences in culture and "stereotypical" styles for countries should be celebrated. Instead most countries obsessed with making everything a tactical homogenous sludge. I want to see Brazilians showboating, the Spaniards passing 1m times, Italians swanning about with a handsome ease. We want Ronaldinhos, Xavis and Pirlos in the game, it's just way more fun.

35 minutes ago, TaylorJ_01 said:

Differences in culture and "stereotypical" styles for countries should be celebrated. Instead most countries obsessed with making everything a tactical homogenous sludge. I want to see Brazilians showboating, the Spaniards passing 1m times, Italians swanning about with a handsome ease. We want Ronaldinhos, Xavis and Pirlos in the game, it's just way more fun.

Ireland punting it to a 6"4 bean pole, England playing 4-4-facking-2.

Is found the group stages a bit underwhelming really. Individual games have been good but this third place qualification route really reduces the jeopardy. All three of Scotland and England’s games were a tough watch other than Germany taking a shit on Scotland for the comedy element. Knock outs better deliver 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Is found the group stages a bit underwhelming really. Individual games have been good but this third place qualification route really reduces the jeopardy. All three of Scotland and England’s games were a tough watch other than Germany taking a shit on Scotland for the comedy element. Knock outs better deliver 

Exactly. Half the pundits were having a go at Scotland for, belatedly in the 90th minute, trying to win the game and push forward. The reason being "a point MIGHT be good enough for a best 3rd place finish". Its crap as it generally gives more reason for teams to be defensive. Why should anyone go through without winning and with 2 points?

I would scrap the predetermined knockout tree especially as the third place part makes it difficult to figure out.

Instead I’d put the 16 into a league table, 1st plays 16th, 2nd plays 15th etc. This awards the best teams and will get rid of some of these low risk draw patterns.

14 hours ago, James said:

I would scrap the predetermined knockout tree especially as the third place part makes it difficult to figure out.

Instead I’d put the 16 into a league table, 1st plays 16th, 2nd plays 15th etc. This awards the best teams and will get rid of some of these low risk draw patterns.

This might actually be one of the most sensible things you've ever said on here. 

How do you work out who is 1st to 16th though - based on points, goal difference etc? Because that just makes being drawn in a tough group even more punishing. 

My idea from a few years ago was for the top 4 first place teams to get a bye into the last 8. The remaining 1st and all 2nd place teams (8 teams) play each other in a qualifier to play those teams in the last 8.

Rewards those teams who have performed especially well in the groups with a rest and means it's just the top 2 from each group qualifying. 

2 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

image.thumb.png.10ab25da751223d916b6646f56f49f83.png

:serious:

It's the draw. Germany, Spain, France and Portugal most likely have to win two matches against that group of four before reaching the final. It's hard to tell who gets to the final while the red carpet has been laid on the ground for England. 

We've failed to beat Slovenia and Denmark, scraped past Serbia.

I wouldn't even say the red carpet has been laid out, all the teams on the side of the draw we're on have been better than us, aside from maybe Slovakia, but they did beat Belgium. No way can we be considered favourites based on that. If we end up winning Sunday, we'll lose next Saturday. 

The tournaments done for us, it's never been this negative under Southgate, there's clearly divisions in the camp and the harmony between fans and players has ended. You get the feeling the players are resenting the fans now. It never ends well.

On 26/06/2024 at 21:52, James said:

I was thinking this too but realised it does mean teams could play teams in their group stages again. It feels a bit wrong Austria and Netherlands are favourites to already play each other again in the quarters!