Paris Saint-Germain 1-1 Newcastle United (28/11/23) | Reaction: pg. 52 | Goal-post: OP

Disco

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

This. 

Just ran out of gas. 

Yeah you could see us physically tiring as the game went on. The will was there but the legs gave out. Felt particularly for Gordon who was trying desperately to cover every blade of grass but all those games just took the edge off his attacking prowess.

On reflection, a draw is a good result, and we're still in with a chance of going through. It just feels bad to lose such a late goal in that way.

PSG are very much a team that is less than the sum of its parts. Our players found it very difficult to win their individual battles, but despite that, we matched them for long stretches of the game. It was the classic Team of Stars v a Star Team. 

However, they were able to freshen their team up in the last half hour, and we weren't.

Guest reefatoon

Watching the penalty back, what were Trippier and Lascelles pointing at and going mad about after he scored? They were not happy about something. 

I'll probably flip between frustration and defiance for several days, but as I'm experiencing the latter emotion atm: it would make perfect sense for this NUFC to get the job done at St James' Park. We've had some brilliant and memorable away victories since Howe has come in but SJP really has that 'our house' vibe these days. That is where the magic really happens. 

Dortmund are no mugs and have proven a lot of doubters wrong this campaign; last night was a magnificent result for them. Tbh I've got enormous respect for that team and manager; from the neutral pov it's great to see a club like that really makes a splash in this group. And there's absolutely no guarantee that PSG go to their's and win; I wouldn't even make them favourites. 

I thought it was odd how they took so long to show a replay of the penalty incident on tnt. Let's face it if that was at St James or any neutral ground for that matter they don't get it. Still annoyed, this one cuts deep.

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Watching the penalty back, what were Trippier and Lascelles pointing at and going mad about after he scored? They were not happy about something. 

I think they were suggesting there was encroachment from a PSG player

No idea if that was the case though 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'll probably flip between frustration and defiance for several days, but as I'm experiencing the latter emotion atm: it would make perfect sense for this NUFC to get the job done at St James' Park. We've had some brilliant and memorable away victories since Howe has come in but SJP really has that 'our house' vibe these days. That is where the magic really happens. 

Dortmund are no mugs and have proven a lot of doubters wrong this campaign; last night was a magnificent result for them. Tbh I've got enormous respect for that team and manager; from the neutral pov it's great to see a club like that really makes a splash in this group. And there's absolutely no guarantee that PSG go to their's and win; I wouldn't even make them favourites. 

Dortmund are a very professional outfit, they will want to win the group, no doubt about it. They are very much the strongest team in the group. We also owe Milan a beating for their Tonali bullshit, the script has been written, Eddie and his mags enter the arena. Let's make history.

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

They were pointing towards the goal though not at any players. They were adamant about something like and were even having a go at Mbappe. Keep watching it over but can’t work it out.

I wonder if something was thrown from the crowd.

Edited by reefatoon

From the BBC:

UEFA has stood down the VAR who made the decision to guide the referee to give PSG their penalty last night.

Tomasz Kwiatkowskiwas supposed to be VAR for the Real Sociedad v RB Salzburg Champions League game this evening.

However he has now been replaced.

Although UEFA are yet to make a public statement over the decision to award PSG a penalty deep into stoppage time against Newcastle last night, it is the clearest indication yet the think the ruling was incorrect.

Wopdee fucking do.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yep.  Plus PSG have lost both of their away games and not looked particularly good in either match.  Dortmund are ridiculously good at home and won't want to finish 2nd and risk getting the perceived harder half of the draw.  So with PSG having to force the game and go for the win to make sure, it could well work in our favour. 

All we can do is win against Milan and hope the result goes our way in Germany.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

From the BBC:

Wopdee fucking do.

What more can you ask for? At least he can't screw anything up in the much more important dead rubber that is 10 points in 1st Sociedad v 3 points in 3rd Salzburg. :lol:

Guest reefatoon
16 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Actually watching it back from a different angle, you are right. :thup:

Much calmer today, though still pissed off about the entire VAR debacle in general, not just last night.

I can't see PSG getting anything against Dortmund, in fact, I think they'll be flattened. So that leaves it in our hands. Hopefully we have one or two back by then as well, and we can make some history.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

I think they were complaining that Mbappe stopped in his run up for the pen.

@Geordie Ahmed was right. When you see it from the side angle, they were pointing at the player who encroached before the ball was kicked.

Edited by reefatoon

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Hadn’t even realised I’d been autocorrected on his name. He definitely has an issue with us but so do most journalists on the “left” in football. I say that as I think most left wing sports journalism is a puddle of hypocrisy 

He was a Torygraph writer for years - mainly on cricket.  Not sure if he is on the left tbh.