Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I'm really disappointed with that second half, i was hoping we would keep focused but it really did show how much experience matters at this level, they were so calm and composed and towards the end they could've scored a few more goals, we just ran out of steam.

Way too excitable, epitomised by the Schar decision.

Somewhat understandable I guess, but disappointing nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Disappointing, because I don't think AC Milan deserved it. They didn't improve much in the second half, but the equaliser changed it. We then ended up chasing it and it became a lottery.

Lascelles always had a tendency to indecision, and getting caught in no-man's land. He's done well over the last few weeks, but he was at fault for that goal.

I'm not too sorry about missing out on the Europa League. We can concentrate on the domestics.

I thought they were noticeably sharper in the second half. How much of that was down to us dropping off the tempo a bit, but they were just a bit too cute for us.

We were throwing everything forward as a goal would've meant we stayed in the champions league. It's not complicated, and it's not clever to sit at your keyboard and give sage wisdom that we should've done more to hold on to an EL spot. Players gave it all, could not be prouder of them. No-one is at fault, no fan should be a twat and claim otherwise 

We are on course to build something. We just aren’t quite there yet.

Need to learn some nous at this level which will come.

A couple of signings away in each win from being a much stronger and more resilient team/club.

We have come a very long way in a very short space of time already.

One awful decision against us, couple of sitters/good chances spurned otherwise it could have been different.

We have to be proud of that after where we were under MA and his lickspittle.

Disappointed with the end result for the club, believe we deserved better, but that’s not to detract from the positives. 
Howay the lads :indi:

1 minute ago, vexred said:

Our players deserve better and louder fans in the stadium. Didn't try and lift the players at all when we went behind. If moving from St James' would give a better atmosphere I'm 100% for it. 

Sorry but never understood people saying the fans should be better while watching on TV. 

1 minute ago, Checko said:

Shame, we played well for quite a lot of the match, their goal came a bit out out of nothing. Game got a bit open and out of hand later. Overall I didn't really think we deserved to qualify from the group though tbh.

Feel we really need at least one top playmaker in the squad and a proper defensive DM as well IMO, can't expect Bruno to try and be both roles. Also, is it just me, or is Isak really not very effective on the left? - he's had a couple of moments there, but most of the time I'm really not convinced he produces much. He might be better in more of a free-roaming no. 10 role if Wilson's playing up top.

I presume Trippier got a bit of a knock.

Anyway, pretty rubbish week but a few players coming back and we can focus on the league & domestic cups now I guess.

Isak is not a left winger.  Completely wasted out there. 

I will be forever grateful I was at the PSG game, and I’m really proud of how we performed with the squad we had, but I am fucking gutted by some of the mistakes. Qualification was there for the taking. We look so fragile at the moment. I can’t describe how absolutely minging this feels. Argh, loving this club again hurts. 

Looking on the bright side - yes I would've very happily taken Europa League football, but can't complain at the prospect of fewer fixtures in the new year. We're heading for no European football at all next season unless the squad gets a chance to breathe. 

1 minute ago, WideopenMag said:

Shouldn't have needed to, he had options to pass through in offensive positions could have kept the attack going and got back into position. It was naive to the extreme.

It's how he's played all season and been praised for it :lol: the team is clearly structured around Schar making these bursts, the cover should be there if he makes a bad decision or pass. 

I do think tiredness contributed significantly to the second half.

The whole team switching off waiting for an offside flag is a huge mental error though. It's easier to appeal for a flag than keep defending and it was costly. That Milan side was so mediocre.

Not thaaaat gutted (the team needs to focus on the league), but I think the players will be.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Will they? That was pretty fucking basic.

Easy to say for us. Not necessarily so easy for those who don't have that high level cup experience with 190 pulse and no strength left in their entire body.

Maybe they won't, but I think they will. :thup:

Disappointed but not nearly as much as I was after the Liverpool game! How weird is that? We made a good account of ourselves, most of those lads were relegation material not so long ago. It's just the beginning for us. 

Europe would have been nice but knowing our luck this season we would have drawn Liverpool again and then I would have been doubly pissed off. Concentrate on the cups and the league..

Let's get top 4 and win a fucking trophy!!!! 

Just now, Bintang said:

Sorry but never understood people saying the fans should be better while watching on TV. 

I’ve attended hundreds of games and no longer do, and would say the same when I was there.

Our European game atmospheres have been shite for pretty much every game I’ve ever seen, with a couple of exceptions.  If we’re not winning, the crowd are completely flat.  Barcelona and PSG are the European Cup exceptions - even the Juve win wasn’t particularly good. 

In typical heartbreaking NUFC fashion the season is starting to unravel in 4 weeks we could be out of Europe, out of the Carabao, way off in the league and it all culminates with getting beat off the mackems

We've seen this all before im sure we aren't allowed to have nice things and the club is cursed