Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

You do know we have no money for the jan transfer window don’t you?

I don't know that, do you? Financial fairplay is tight but we don't know exactly what we have to spend, plus we're allowed to sell someone to buy as well. Either way we still have time to get players back and fit before Europe starts up again in February. 

2 minutes ago, vexred said:

The only player I can really criticise is Miggy. He has to finish that tap in, even if it's with his wrong foot. 

It's great to have Longstaff and Burn back. Hopefully we'll be able to used Burn to give Trippier a bit of a rest. 

Offside anyway.  But as much as I love Almiron’s energy and commitment, that fear of using his swinger is infuriating :) 

7 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Why do people keep saying it's better we're out because we don't have the squad to cope with knockouts? Is it some sort of coping mechanism?

Knockouts don't start til February. We would have had our squad back plus January to strengthen. Carabao cup final is in February.

Making a virtue of a reality has a lot to do with it, I think. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Their 2nd goal is barely in the corner like, Dubravka looks tiny 

Pope almost certainly saves that one, and I reckon he has a chance with the first as well tbh. 

Ah, why am I doing this. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

1-0 up at home. Looked the better side. The away side didn’t even perform that much better in the second half.  

I think it’s fair to say that we lost it. Is it not? At the top level you can’t separate the physical and the mental and I think it all played a part.  Look at Giroud’s composure when it mattered. 

We definitely lost something as the second half wore on, wayward passes, simple mistakes and looked as if we were getting pinned back, we lost the intensity of the first half and let them back in. I do think we expended a lot of energy in that first half and should probably have had daylight between us and it seemed to take its toll on us in the 2nd. The subs injected some more energy back into us but I'd also say we pushed for the winner too early, Milan looked dangerous on the break from the first whistle and we gave them the room at the back to do that with great effect.

Definitely didn't "bottle" it but I do think our stamina and naivety created the loss.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Their 2nd goal is barely in the corner like, Dubravka looks tiny 

Agreed- if Sunderland have any sense they’ll be practicing shooting low in the corners, he just can’t get down in time it seems. As someone said better than me a few pages back - Pope uses his feet at times as well, dubs doesn’t 

Tell you what, we've missed Jacob Murphy in Europe, like. Willock n'all, though that goes without saying. Someone to be quick, direct, get in behind, have a dig. Arguably a bit of a turning point when Murph got whacked against Dortmund.

We've gone out on incredibly fine margins. There's only Dortmund (a) where we've been comfortably beat, not that we weren't competitive till the end. Who knows what difference just having a couple more options would've made. 

Still, bottle job. :( All on Howe. :( Terrible game management. :( etc

I thought collectively we went into our shells (so did the crowd) after their equaliser, we then started to make mistakes, and then chased the game with increasingly rash play and positional lack of discipline. So that’s what I mean when I am talking about bottling it. To me, their equaliser knocked the stuffing out of us and we looked collectively pretty fragile.

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Pope almost certainly saves that one, and I reckon he has a chance with the first as well tbh. 

Ah, why am I doing this. 

Yeah why are you doing this you wanker?? I agree with everything word you said you tosser?? 😀

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Tell you what, we've missed Jacob Murphy in Europe, like. Willock n'all, though that goes without saying. Someone to be quick, direct, get in behind, have a dig. Arguably a bit of a turning point when Murph got whacked against Dortmund.

We've gone out on incredibly fine margins. There's only Dortmund (a) where we've been comfortably beat, not that we weren't competitive till the end. Who knows what difference Judy having a couple more options would've made. 

That cunt been sacked yet?

35 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Very sad, lots of effort and being back in the CL has been great but that was a carbon copy of the Liverpool game. Took the foot of the gas trying to sit deep and play counter attack and we’re just really poor at it. Tactically bossed.

Something else in the final third badly needed in January. 

Was thinking this when Tomori made that block for Miggy.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We never looked scared or fearful, and put in a heck of a performance for most parts of that game.

Don't understand how that is deemed as bottling it, but to each their own I guess.

In key moments our lack of quality/calibre showed. Lascelles has to recognise to go flying out to Leao on the first goal, Schar has to recognise he cannot risk looking to play passes on the edge of their box and being out of position with the counter threats they have, and Isak and Bruno have to be more cynical when they break.

I definitely think we looked nervous 6 minutes into the second half. We started making several unforced errors that we didn’t make in the first half.  The crowd seemed nervous too.  

I don’t want to debate the merits of ‘bottling it’. But the quality of decision making dropped drastically in the second half. A lot of that will be down to the occasion. 

i think physical fatigue was a big factor too. Quality of GK in particular had a huge impact in key moments.  But I think the game was largely won/lost between the ears of each team.  When we burst through the middle Musa dragged our lad down. When ol boy burst through the middle, Bruno and Isak just watched him. 

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We never looked scared or fearful, and put in a heck of a performance for most parts of that game.

Don't understand how that is deemed as bottling it, but to each their own I guess.

In key moments our lack of quality/calibre showed. Lascelles has to recognise to go flying out to Leao on the first goal, Schar has to recognise he cannot risk looking to play passes on the edge of their box and being out of position with the counter threats they have, and Isak and Bruno have to be more cynical when they break.l

Weird feeling this. Not angry, but just incredibly sad after a game of football. Was working so could only half watch it, but felt like we gave a good account of ourselves, especially first half. Been given such a shit hand this whole season so far, we really deserved a bit of luck tonight, but alas it wasnt to be. 

Can't really fault anyone, with 30 or so minutes to go we were through as 2nd, then a jammy bounce and a counter attack lager we're out of it completely. 

Probably wont be back next season, but fuck me do I wish well be back soon enough.

28 minutes ago, midds said:

Not even sure what to say after that tbh. I'm fucking furious. 

Had it all in the palms of our hands and proceeded to throw the cunt away. We make it 2-0 and the essentially give up and we finish 2nd and qualify. We then choose to concede, then shit our collective pants and lose the game. It's fucking amateurish and it puts us out of Europe completely. I'm 100% behind Howe and the club but that shit tonight was embarrassing. To throw that away from the position we were in is criminal, it's pigshit

When did we choose to concede? I was at the match so maybe missed something. Is this a new thing? How do we signal when we’ve made the decision to concede?

15 minutes ago, Decky said:

Can't believe some people think not falling into the EL is a positive. :lol: We're literally just back in Europe and people are turning their nose up at the Europa League? Wild.

Haha yeah its wild. Dont want Europe..lets concentrate on the league. And for what? You dont want Europe. :lol::lol:

We definitely didn't bottle it.

We came out, were assertive, on the front foot, played well, got the lead.

2nd half we were ok, then they got a chance after a set piece and took it. That can happen. In football one chance is all you need sometimes.

Things then got a bit open, but we could have sat back, defended the draw and tried to just stay in Europa League places but we went for broke. That's not bottling, perhaps a bit naive more than anything. But if we're going to go down, at least we went down swinging.

When the game got open that's where we really missed Willock and Barnes, would have really suited them then. Ultimately just lacking some really top quality in attack. A maddison or Chiesa type playing and we probably make an extra chance or two when we were on top. A proper DM to allow Bruno to focus on playmaking at times as well would be a good addition to the squad I think.

Also, Tomori's a good player. He was great in the first match too.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We've gone out on incredibly fine margins. There's only Dortmund (a) where we've been comfortably beat, not that we weren't competitive till the end. Who knows what difference just having a couple more options would've made. 

Sack the lot of them! Burn St James to the ground! Liquidate the club! 🤣🤣