Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

10 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

We definitely lost something as the second half wore on, wayward passes, simple mistakes and looked as if we were getting pinned back, we lost the intensity of the first half and let them back in. I do think we expended a lot of energy in that first half and should probably have had daylight between us and it seemed to take its toll on us in the 2nd. The subs injected some more energy back into us but I'd also say we pushed for the winner too early, Milan looked dangerous on the break from the first whistle and we gave them the room at the back to do that with great effect.

Definitely didn't "bottle" it but I do think our stamina and naivety created the loss.

This is fair. The phrase ‘bottling it’ is rattling people.  I do think the determining factor in this game was between the ears of the players/fans.  Whatever you want to call it is fine.  

Find it hard to be to disappointed when we won 1 game out of 6. 

Injuries meant we couldn’t play with intensity bar PSG and 1st half tonight perhaps. 

What stands out for me though is that we lack a couple of clever technical players, especially at this level where intensity and running will only get you so far.

I’m not too disappointed, we’ll be back. That PSG night was my favourite game at SJP and I got to experience it with my little boy, it doesn’t get any better than that for me until we win something. Will forever be grateful for that night.

Onwards and upwards for Eddie’s mags.

Feel like I’m Ebenezer Toon and I’ve just been visited by The Ghost of Newcastle’s Past

Traditional NUFC result. Let’s hope they become few & far between cos I’ve seen enough to last a lifetime 

We’ve come so far so fast but need to keep our foot on the pedal and not slacken off, both as a team and as fans 

Fail we may, sail we must 

Edited by bobbydazzla

24 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Their 2nd goal is barely in the corner like, Dubravka looks tiny 

same for the first. I was watching the keepers warming up and Karius was pulling off some saves. I would love to know why he picks dubs over him, cause I don't get it.

Edited by duo

Back home now, just feel really deflated. When the dust settles and the bigger picture becomes clearer I may feel better but PSG not winning, us being a goal up at home but losing and missing out on the opportunity to be in the RO16 is incredibly deflating. 3 back to back defeats, 9 goals conceded, 2 scored. 

Nothing to be too depressed about, we did our best and our already exposed squad got beat again, I don't think any of us would be shocked at that.

However, It hurts because we didn't even get a consolation we felt we had earned. We haven't earned anything yet.

We move, and I fancy a good crack at the league coming up.

We're coming off the back of 14 years of nothing more than a club existing.

We were happy to shout "We don't demand a team that wins. We demand a club that tries".

We've got that now.

Yes we didn't get the result we wanted, but we should proud of the lads for putting Newcastle back on the map.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by TBG