Newcastle United 1-3 Notts Forest (26/12/23)

Disco

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Of Miggy has no end product and we need to replace him, how is ASM the answer?

Translation for you: we need a ASM type of player. Someone creative to open defences, and sometime make the odd goal out of nothing… would ASM be the answer, dont know but I think he would be better than Barnes atm. 

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Missed this so don't know if it was as bad as the scoreline suggests, or even worse?

But fuck me, losing to a Chris Wood hat trick leaves huge questions. Like, how the fuck?

It was worse than the score line read at FT

1 hour ago, Sandro Tonali said:

Wood playing like prime Benzema, Forest defence thinking they're 90's Milan. One of those days and tbh one of those months. You can see Eddie's processes of working with players needs to adapt to playing more than once a week for extended periods. We will be back in 2024

I think we played into their hands a bit as well. Nuno basically laid out his plan that if we pressed aggressively if they could play their way out they could exploit the space behind. We obviously have to push forward at home, but once we are in the lead, do we really need to take as many risks?

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Must have been watching a different player...he did nothing of any use

Thought he put in some creative passes, but the rest of the XI had already largely thrown in the towel and didn't seem all that fussed about trying to get on the end of it/create anything themselves.

The quality is so dire at the moment that any time I see anyone try to play a ball through it seems a creative upgrade on what we've got

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

Missed this so don't know if it was as bad as the scoreline suggests, or even worse?

But fuck me, losing to a Chris Wood hat trick leaves huge questions. Like, how the fuck?

I’d say it’s as bad as the score line suggests, and not worse than that. However, the scoreline against Forest at home on Boxing Day when they have every right to be less up for it than us was awful. We were flat for most of the game even though we were the stronger side in the first half. The second half was utterly abysmal and the worst half we’ve had at home since Howe came in

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Lewis Hall exists.

If Howe is accountable to this awful run on the basis of not having played Lewis Hall and academy players then frankly he isn't accountable. He's been between a rock and a hard place in terms of team selection for months now. 

30 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No offence to him, but missing Murphy is tragic. 

We've clearly missed Murphy though. He's been a really good asset for us for a while now. We've missed the likes of Anderson too even though he hasn't pulled up any trees. 

Also, our crossing into the box is so poor generally. Our best way to create goals is by getting in behind the opposing team and then cutting the ball back to a player running onto it. We’re just very laboured in our build up play and are making lazy crosses or passes when in good positions. Miley played the best pass of the day across to Gordon and he took a second too long to take the shot. 

Was just such a flat performance. We didn’t look up for it which is concerning

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think we played into their hands a bit as well. Nuno basically laid out his plan that if we pressed aggressively if they could play their way out they could exploit the space behind. We obviously have to push forward at home, but once we are in the lead, do we really need to take as many risks?

They sat back, and we made basic mistakes in attack which they took full advantage of....their front players tore through us at will, but they always seemed to have 9/10 back when we were trying to get at them. We were poor again they were effective and could have easily had another 2 or 3 goals, while we were just slinging ineffective crosses to their goalkeeper 

15 minutes ago, Sean said:

It was fucking awful, unfortunately. 

Almost 10 hours of commuting to watch that shower of crap and almost £300 down. I wish some of you lot would stop calling our fans idiots cause if you'd invested as much time and effort to watch that you'd be outraged too. There is something fundamentally wrong with this team and it's more than just them being tired. Defending was as bad today as I have ever seen it in my 20+ years supporting Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, Menace said:

Almost 10 hours of commuting to watch that shower of crap and almost £300 down. I wish some of you lot would stop calling our fans idiots cause if you'd invested as much time and effort to watch that you'd be outraged too. There is something fundamentally wrong with this team and it's more than just them being tired. Defending was as bad today as I have ever seen it in my 20+ years supporting Newcastle.

:spit:

5 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Bad result. 2nd half was very iffy. Hopefully Willock and Barnes are back soon 

Agree.

Second half was the worst I’ve seen. First half thought we were pretty good to be fair, was moving it around really good.  Some of the play between Bruno and Miles was class and full of confidence.

if Miggy had shot instead of tried to pass, to make it 2-0, probably would have been a dull night for some on here.

Confidence seemed to disappear after their goal and totally capitulated.

55 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No offence to him, but missing Murphy is tragic. 

Having Murphy available takes a lot of the physical strain off of Miggy who has started and played 90 mins every game for how long? Just having any options in the wide areas is massive, having gassed players there is a huge part of our problem.

47 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

They sat back, and we made basic mistakes in attack which they took full advantage of....their front players tore through us at will, but they always seemed to have 9/10 back when we were trying to get at them. We were poor again they were effective and could have easily had another 2 or 3 goals, while we were just slinging ineffective crosses to their goalkeeper 

Yes the Forest counter attacking was a great tactic by them but pretty naive by us.  Disagree with Forest could have scored a hat full more.  Get a look at the stats.  This could easily have been a 5-5 scoreline.  We got no luck whatsoever.  Every bounce, block and ricochet went against us.  Well played Forest I say.

Edited by Rod

Just now, Rod said:

Yes the Forest counter attacking was a great tactic by them but pretty naive by us.  Disagree with Forest could have scored a hat full more.  Get a look at the stats.  This could easily have been a 5-5 scoreline.  We got no luck whatsoever.  Every bounce, block and ricochet went against us.  We'll played Forest I say.

Rather than stay measured at 1-1, our response seemed to be push even more forward. Daft as we'd been relatively well measured up until that point, bar a few breaks.

Only thing I can think is that we know we're still a bit leggy so are trying to get games wrapped up before 70 minutes.