Newcastle United 1-3 Notts Forest (26/12/23)

Disco

9 hours ago, Nine said:

Having Murphy available takes a lot of the physical strain off of Miggy who has started and played 90 mins every game for how long? Just having any options in the wide areas is massive, having gassed players there is a huge part of our problem.

Which is why I advocated bringing Minteh back. He has to be a better option than Matt Ritchie 

24 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Which is why I advocated bringing Minteh back. He has to be a better option than Matt Ritchie 

I thought I read on here that he does NOT have a recall clause so you'd have to negotiate a deal with them to get him back this year.

9 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Watching the highlights and it makes us look really dominate. Lots of chances just not falling at the right someone’s foot, some good saves from Turner, etc. The highlights made it look like Isak had a good game as well, that run in the 60s looked like he was back to his old self. 

Obviously watching the entire match could give up different opinions but they definitely made the 1-3 scoreline look incredibly flattering to Forest. 

Can’t comment on your game but having seen our game against Everton, the discrepancies between that and the highlights they put together for MOTD were stark. It’s just not clear whether they decide on the narrative before editing or whether it evolves.

10 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Watching the highlights and it makes us look really dominate. Lots of chances just not falling at the right someone’s foot, some good saves from Turner, etc. The highlights made it look like Isak had a good game as well, that run in the 60s looked like he was back to his old self. 

Obviously watching the entire match could give up different opinions but they definitely made the 1-3 scoreline look incredibly flattering to Forest. 

We were turd defensively but also very wasteful at the other end. We'd have been good value for 4 goals with the sheer number of chances created but, unfortunately, so would they. At 1-0 we didn't manage the game well at all and conceding right on half time changed the course of the game. We were forced to attack again and left so wide open on the counter. Second half collapses are becoming a common theme.

Edited by ohmelads

I’m still absolutely baffled that after watching Chris Wood for so long,  trying to convince myself his work rate was beneficial, even while he was missing sitters every week, and then he watch him score a fucking hat trick against us yesterday. 

I don’t even dislike that guy but where was that when he played here. 

20 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I’m still absolutely baffled that after watching Chris Wood for so long,  trying to convince myself his work rate was beneficial, even while he was missing sitters every week, and then he watch him score a fucking hat trick against us yesterday. 

I don’t even dislike that guy but where was that when he played here. 

I think Schar and Burn did their best to make him look like prime Berbatov yesterday to be honest.

Edited by Whitley mag

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: Nice post until the trademark wummery right at the death. ASM would obviously be injured by now anyway. 

He was never injured that much. Was available more than he wasn’t. Especially considering how flogged he’d been since arriving. In a setup when our press rate has dropped and we have a slender lead he would’ve been ideal for counterattack football. I’m also still yet to be convinced that his ability to beat a man isn’t better than our current pass around the outskirts of the penalty area approach awaiting a gap approach. If you don’t think he’d of been a great rotation/bench option this season then that’s your call but I politely disagree. It’s not a wummery. It’s a plan B or C at least if plan B indeed is to do plan A with fresher players.

Wood I appreciate because of his time here will be a more divisive conversation and I don’t disagree we’ve moved on from him but yesterday was more akin of how he was used by Leeds whereas at the time we needed him to play more akin to his time at Burnley. Maybe the pressure we were under to survive got to him a little here in front of goal but couldn’t help but be pleased for the lad yesterday even though I was hoping VAR would intervene with his 3rd 😆

Something was wrong with the defensive set up from the get go. Elanga had Dan Burn on toast from the first minute and neither our centre backs seemed interested in marking Wood. Wood could actually have scored more - for instance Elanga could  have squared it to him for a tap-in once he had left Burn in the dust and for some reason neither of Schar or Botman picked up Wood. It's like Wood didn't exist to them the whole game. Very strange. 

This one rests purely with Howe. We couldn't open up their low block (not a first) and we were at sixes and sevens defending their counters. 

Howe needs to work primarily on our defensive set up for the month ahead. If we're gonna continue to use Dubravka he has to develop an understanding with our defenders and do it quickly. The lack of understanding was evident in the Mudryk goal for instance. Would be nice if he came up with the odd clutch save too. Actually it would be nice if he weren't our goalkeeper. 

That said I want Murillo. And Gibbs-White. They can have Dubravaka in stead. 

13 minutes ago, sixx said:

Something was wrong with the defensive set up from the get go. Elanga had Dan Burn on toast from the first minute and neither our centre backs seemed interested in marking Wood. Wood could actually have scored more - for instance Elanga could  have squared it to him for a tap-in once he had left Burn in the dust and for some reason neither of Schar or Botman picked up Wood. It's like Wood didn't exist to them the whole game. Very strange. 

This one rests purely with Howe. We couldn't open up their low block (not a first) and we were at sixes and sevens defending their counters. 

Howe needs to work primarily on our defensive set up for the month ahead. If we're gonna continue to use Dubravka he has to develop an understanding with our defenders and do it quickly. The lack of understanding was evident in the Mudryk goal for instance. Would be nice if he came up with the odd clutch save too. Actually it would be nice if he weren't our goalkeeper. 

That said I want Murillo. And Gibbs-White. They can have Dubravaka in stead. 

I also think Burn has got it into his head that he needs to attack and overlap to mirror what Tino can do.

I would much prefer he just stayed steady and focused on his own strengths as the above results in him being no good at either.

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

I also think Burn has got it into his head that he needs to attack and overlap to mirror what Tino can do.

I would much prefer he just stayed steady and focused on his own strengths as the above results in him being no good at either.

He defo never ran forward as much 

7 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

I actually thought it was the midfield that was the issue, they offered little protection and that them triggered the defence to be all over the place.

A number 6 is absolute must for us going forward 

This and the ability to play a single or double pivot based on the opposition - we have a very good core of midfielders in Bruno - Miley - Tonali - Joelinton - Willock, the lack of genuine 6 is an issue and has cost us this season when we have looked fatigued.

Added to this it would help protect the back line from counters 

8 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

I actually thought it was the midfield that was the issue, they offered little protection and that them triggered the defence to be all over the place.

Said in another thread, possibly Luton. That the 3 is often flat and easy to play round. Or a bit disjointed and too high up the pitch.

The lack of athleticism in there and half fit players throughout the team is hurting us even more than usual. Botman and Schar have often helped stepping into the space where a DM would be and being aggressive in doing so. But the whole back 4 looked a mess yesterday and all of them were sluggish and didn’t look to be awake half the time. 

Throw in the fact we had two wingers who look injured/gassed and nobody who could pick the right pass or regularly get a meaningful shot away.

In short. It was a shitshow across the board. 

Our midfield is the key problem recently,no protection, lack of getting back is startling and needs addressing soon. 

Fuming with everything but we go again soon. The countdown begins to 10 days time, little old Liverpool in-between then the fun begins .

51 minutes ago, GWN said:

Our midfield is the key problem recently,no protection, lack of getting back is startling and needs addressing soon. 

Fuming with everything but we go again soon. The countdown begins to 10 days time, little old Liverpool in-between then the fun begins .

Mixture of fatigue and lack of athleticism from the fit players. We need a different setup.

Wingers fatigued not pressing or tracking back to help, lack of athleticism in our midfield 3 with all of them pushed way up to create or contribute to a goal leaving the slow back 3 exposed playing a high line and then our backup GK is rooted to his line as he’s not a sweeper keeper. 

9 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

The biggest factor for me is what I mentioned above, our wingers energy levels, like it or not fatigue has played a huge part in how we capitulate. When we lose the ball high up the pitch we'd usually have our wingers tracking back and covering defence (remember Gordon running the full width of the pitch to retrieve a ball he lost or the number of times Miggy runs the full length of the pitch to nick the ball back in our 3rd?). Without that extra cover we are vulnerable to the counter, they simply can't do the yards right now.

At least for the short term we 100% need a no.6 to help cover the CBs.

Edited by Mattoon

59 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

The biggest factor for me is what I mentioned above, our wingers energy levels, like it or not fatigue has played a huge part in how we capitulate. When we lose the ball high up the pitch we'd usually have our wingers tracking back and covering defence (remember Gordon running the full width of the pitch to retrieve a ball he lost or the number of times Miggy runs the full length of the pitch to nick the ball back in our 3rd?). Without that extra cover we are vulnerable to the counter, they simply can't do the yards right now.

At least for the short term we 100% need a no.6 to help cover the CBs.

100%. I’ve seen people on here asking questions about how Trippier and Burn can start being consistently rinsed by quick wingers all of a sudden, long story short is the protection they had in front of them just isn’t there at the moment because everyone is gassed. Now I could pivot this post into making a point of how under valued Miggy especially is on that side, as the protection he provides when he’s fully fit is a massive piece of our defensive (and attacking) structure on the right.. and it baffles me how some fans still go on about how ASM would have made the difference in this game or that game :lol: A player like that is the furthest thing from the type of player we need to use out wide, the physical attributes of Gordon and Miggy are the bread and butter of our wide play and the next winger we sign will be of the same mould but with more technical quality and end product.

Edited by Nine

Ok I still can't move on still hurting after Luton and forest ,I'm loathe to critisise Eddie Howe and I'm sure this is a blip,it's the same team that got 4th and to a. Cup final ,but here's the but ,liveremento been brilliant ,dan burn was getting well blitzed ,why oh why did it take him so long to make the substitution .
If I'm glass half full perhaps these last 2 games will bring us back down to reality and we will come back stronger