Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Rebrov

I remember being at the Dinamo Kyiv game in the Champions League and coming away thinking that, between him and Shevchenko, it was Rebrov that would go on to do more [emoji38]

1 minute ago, enthusiast said:

I remember being at the Dinamo Kyiv game in the Champions League and coming away thinking that, between him and Shevchenko, it was Rebrov that would go on to do more [emoji38]

Top scorer in double figures I think he was. I remember bigging him up when he went to spurs and we played them early that season iirc and he was a spectator in that game. Was frozen out by Hoddle after Graham departed I think, after an underwhelming stint

Has Rakitic been mentioned? Still a very good and elegant footballer at 35 (or whatever) but he had all the technical ability to have been one of the best midfielders of his generation.

9 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Never expected Nani to be world class I have to say. Always loved watching him fuck up even though he still had a very good career

There was a far bigger chance of him than Paul Brayson mind [emoji38]

Giuseppe Rossi

Maybe not world class, but a young TBG seen that name and thought 'Star!'

Turns out he was just a yank that was better than the rest of the yanks at playing football. 

image.png.ae205d4e7de3d9b1bf4f44ec88d927af.png

Like I don't need to read his Wiki bio to know he now runs a successful chain of pizzerias  (this may or may not be true)

Reyes looked absolutely electric in is first few months with Arsenal, just different class. Thought he'd become the world's best and that Arsenal would dominate with him around.

I was actually quite sad when Adriano broke through because I thought he would usurp Ronaldo as the Brazilian striker. My love of Ronaldo has not waned in the time since to be fair!

Though Theo would be world class, but never got to the those heights.

Just a couple off the top of my head:

Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Bassong

Oliver Bernard, at one stage he looked class as LB.

The lad that Chelsea said was going to be the next big thing since John Terry and Frank Lampard. Josh McEachran was a skinny little kid, thrown in to their top PL side, looked about 12

looked him up, he's 30 now, and in league 1 with the MK Don's, Wow!

Yaya Sanogo, I was convinced this kid would be world class, this all based on FM11 and no idea at all, he did move to Arsenal alongside fellow prospect Wellington Silva, another FM prodigy, Yaya was being likened to George Weah, slim, skilled, and a lethal finisher, at the time one of the Barbers I used to visit, big Gunners fan, he even claimed it was a masterstroke from Wenger again, they'd gotten another Nicolas Anelka in the making, turns out he's 30yrs now, didn't score a goal in 3 seasons, but, his youth international career for France was extremely impressive. 

Edited by mighty__mag

Not world class but thought Joey Barton would have a much better career than he did, same for Ross Barkley. There were times Ryan Babel looked really impressive but his career went all over the place. 

I saw the France under something game(think it was against England) that convinced Man Und to buy Obertan and he was incredible. Thought it was the second coming of Ronaldo. 

Edited by Astroblack

Obertan was among the worst footballers I’ve ever watched who played at the highest level. Surprised you expected more from Barton. He was a bit of an all rounder but without any particular areas of strength, other than violence and mental fragility 

How close to world class was Dimitri Payet? In the Ben Arfa mould of having the talent to play at world class level but in a patchy way and one that was more individual brilliance than anything else?

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Obertan was among the worst footballers I’ve ever watched who played at the highest level. Surprised you expected more from Barton. He was a bit of an all rounder but without any particular areas of strength, other than violence and mental fragility 

Maybe it was my ‘root for the underdog’ mentality but he was very good for City pre take over. Was very excited when we signed him and thought he’d be in our midfield for years to come. Probably ended up being one of the most disappointing signings we ever made, only had one good season for us and never became the 8-10 goal a season midfielder I thought he could be.  

4 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Just seen its Santons birthday. Really thought he’d go onto massive things (before he moved to us). Was he not first choice for Mourinho at Inter at some point at age 17 or thereabouts?

Great shout. He pocketed Ronaldo in a semi final at a really young age, thought he was gonna be better than Maldini, but it never really happened. Shame.

Adnan Januzaj for Man United. Always thought he'd make it, like the next Ronaldo. 

Ended up at Sunderland on loan and then left for Spain. Underwhelming.