Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

Hugo Viana

Absolutely destroyed England in the U21 championships, which persuaded us to sign him. Brilliant left foot, but lacked pace and SBR seemed intent on making in Gary Speed's heir, which was never gonna work.

37 minutes ago, OoOGazOoO said:

Also, maybe just short of world class, but when I first saw him I genuinely thought Anthony Martial would be something special.

Eric is that you?

21 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Didn’t spring immediately to my mind either! How soon we forget.

Can’t forget him for the “he’s here forever” goal against city in the cup. Looked unreal at times. 

I remember seeing the Cabella & Luque highlights and being moist for what was to come. 

2 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Hugo Viana

Absolutely destroyed England in the U21 championships, which persuaded us to sign him. Brilliant left foot, but lacked pace and SBR seemed intent on making in Gary Speed's heir, which was never gonna work.

Was the rumour that it was either him or Ronaldo at the time? Just popped in my head :lol:

Just now, gbandit said:

Thought Jack Wilshere would get to that level when he was early 20s but he’s another whose career went backwards after a few years 

Wheelchair is a good one. Or was it just the Cockney Media overhyping one of their own?

Just now, Nucasol said:

Wheelchair is a good one. Or was it just the Cockney Media overhyping one of their own?

Nah he was exceptionally talented for sure. He’d have been fantastic if he had avoided so many injuries. 

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

He was very good, like a precursor to Foden 

A couple from people I worked with that I've remembered.

I worked with a Blackburn fan who was adamant Phil Jones was the future England captain and that he was the next John Terry.

On the opposite end of the big calls scale is a lad I worked with in 2006 who said during the World Cup that Messi would win the Ballon D'Or and would be one of the best players of all time. Think he's a scout over in the MLS now.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

We should have an inverse of this thread. Players who went on to be world class that you were sure wouldn’t make it, like Kane 

Jon Dahl Tomasson achieved his potential, I think, despite looking woeful at times with us. 

Steve Watson had a good career, but I think was held back somewhat (paradoxically) by how flexible he was positionally. But I thought him and Alan Thompson (hampered somewhat by a bad car crash) would go on to be the best homegrown talent of their generation/consistent internationals.