Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

5 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

like who? There aren’t many "mediocre" players that play at that level, never mind win them both. Maybe need to recalibrate your idea of mediocre if you genuinely think that’s true.

Just saying you don’t have to be ”world class” to have won both the PL and the CL. Loads of Man U players come to mind. Nicky Butt. David May. Wes Brown. Jesper Blomquist. OGS.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He was at Liverpool tbh 

World class? Dunno. Maybe.

EDIT: I think it’s more that he became a different player than I thought. Less spectacular.

Edited by Collage

I legitimately thought Cheick Tiote could be world class until Pardew tried to convert him to a box to box.

Same with Longstaff when he first broke through, just looked like he had so much time on the ball. 

35 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Was gonna say Aaron's, but couldn't remember his name.

By the time I successfully looked it up you beat me to it!

Didn’t spring immediately to my mind either! How soon we forget.

10 minutes ago, Collage said:

Just saying you don’t have to be ”world class” to have won both the PL and the CL. Loads of Man U players come to mind. Nicky Butt. David May. Wes Brown. Jesper Blomquist. OGS.

All of the players you’ve listed were full Internationals? They may not have been the absolute best in their respective positions, but they’re not mediocre players either. They all consistently played in team's that played in one of Europe's top 5 leagues. I think what has happened post-Fergie has messed with some people's minds over how good you had to be to consistently play for Man Utd too tbh.

I think we are mainly arguing about definitions of what a "mediocre player" is tbh, clearly your definition, includes players with a hell of a lot more ability than mine.

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop
iPad autocorrect clean up

1 minute ago, 500bhp said:

Titus Bramble. Remember when he was about 19 and scored for Ipswich on a run from his own 18 yard box. Then he signed for us....

Physically he had everything, he did look good alongside Woodgate who had the footballing intelligence to help Marshall him through games. It all went wrong when his defensive partners were as equally brainless

11 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

All of the players you’ve listed were full Internationals? They may not have been the absolute best in their respective positions, but they’re not mediocre players either. They all consistently played in team's that played in one of Europe's top 5 leagues. I think what has happened post-Fergie has messed with some people's minds over how good you had to be to consistently play for Man Utd too tbh.

I think we are mainly arguing about definitions of what a "mediocre player" is tbh, clearly your definition, includes players with a hell of a lot more ability than mine.

The thread is about players who we think would be world class and it seemed to me that you used a PL and a CL medal as an argument to claim a player is world class, I just opposed to that. Yeah mediocre is probably the wrong word. David May has no caps though.

40 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Hugo Viana, based on very little in all honesty :lol:

had really high hopes for him too. seemed to possess sublime technical skills and always looked like he had more 'time' on the ball than the rest of players around him. what a shame.