Players you were certain would be world class?

Mike

Hugo Viana. Mad to think he was Portugals most promising breakthrough player over Cristiano Ronaldo.

If he had a bit more mettle, he could have been our David Silva 

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Hugo Viana. Mad to think he was Portugals most promising breakthrough player over Cristiano Ronaldo.

If he had a bit more mettle, he could have been our David Silva 

He never had the mobility for that. 

Looking back, a beautiful left foot and a a very good talent overall but all of his weaknesses rendered him totally unsuited to English football, especially English football in 2002, and the money could and should’ve been spent a lot better.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Looking back, a beautiful left foot and a a very good talent overall but all of his weaknesses rendered him totally unsuited to English football, especially English football in 2002, and the money could and should’ve been spent a lot better.

Aye, he was 10 years too early. 

N'Zogbia, Remember his first season for us and was sure he was going to be a world beater! 

Had a decent career but never reached the heights I thought he would.

13 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I remember watching him at the U-21 Euros before we signed him - he scored vs England - when he was heavily linked and signed a week or so later.  Me and a couple of mates watched a couple of those games in the pub.  Both agreed that he looked class, both agreed that he was far too slow for English football.  Another Juan Sebastian Veron (though Viana wasn’t in Veron’s class).

Bobby Robson’s record in the transfer market was sketchy, in all honesty.  That Viana money really should have been used on the defence. 

On 03/01/2024 at 20:00, OoOGazOoO said:

Bendtner was self proclaimed wasn't he? [emoji38]

https://www.insideworldsoccer.com/2011/02/nicklas-bendtner-scores-10-out-of-9-in.html

‘Recently, Arsenal use psychological tests to determine their players' mental abilities in relation to their footballing qualities and Bendtner is certainly not lacking in one area.

Psychologist Jacques Crevoisier, interviewed by Swedish magazine Offside, said: "One of the categories is called 'self perceived competence,' i.e. how good the player himself thinks he is. On a scale up to 9, Bendtner got 10!

"We have never seen that before. (Assistant manager) Pat Rice was sitting next to me and couldn't stop laughing.‘

Tijani Babangida. Fastes player i have ever seen, and the first game i saw him he sprintet away from a player and smashed it into the goal. He was quick, direct and his technique looked good, but first game against a european side he did not deliever at all. No speed, no movement. 

23 minutes ago, Crayola Kid said:

https://www.insideworldsoccer.com/2011/02/nicklas-bendtner-scores-10-out-of-9-in.html

‘Recently, Arsenal use psychological tests to determine their players' mental abilities in relation to their footballing qualities and Bendtner is certainly not lacking in one area.

Psychologist Jacques Crevoisier, interviewed by Swedish magazine Offside, said: "One of the categories is called 'self perceived competence,' i.e. how good the player himself thinks he is. On a scale up to 9, Bendtner got 10!

"We have never seen that before. (Assistant manager) Pat Rice was sitting next to me and couldn't stop laughing.‘

Bendtner falls victim to Dunning-Kruger effect shocker

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I remember watching him at the U-21 Euros before we signed him - he scored vs England - when he was heavily linked and signed a week or so later.  Me and a couple of mates watched a couple of those games in the pub.  Both agreed that he looked class, both agreed that he was far too slow for English football.  Another Juan Sebastian Veron (though Viana wasn’t in Veron’s class).

Bobby Robson’s record in the transfer market was sketchy, in all honesty.  That Viana money really should have been used on the defence. 

His best window and arguably two best and most important signings Robert and Bellamy were reportedly second choices behind Jeffers and Zenden who both tanked. Whilst we slept at the wheel with Southgate waiting to come.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Not world class but remember Jimmy Carter and Chris Allen giving our fullbacks torrid times. Carter ended up going to both Liverpool and Arsenal but barely kicking a ball and Allen got a move from Oxford to Forest 3 1/2 years later.  I now have a suspicion Venison might have been pissed that game as it was 48hours after promotion at Grimsby.

4 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

His best window and arguably two best and most important signings Robert and Bellamy were reportedly second choices behind Jeffers and Zenden who both tanked. Whilst we slept at the wheel with Southgate waiting to come.

Yeah, definitely.  Robert and Bellamy basically revived Shearer’s career in my view.  If we’d signed Southgate - and later Woodgate - I think that NUFC wins a trophy (or two)

Just seen in the book thread someone mentioned by the name Ekelund.

Remember Southampton getting Ronnie Ekelund on-loan from Barcelona and he looked like they'd unearthed a match for Matt Le-Tiss. Figured because of the foreign player rule at the time he must be great but couldn't edge out Hagi, Koeman, Stoichkov, Romario.

4 hours ago, Crayola Kid said:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/nicklas-bendtner-lavish-life-after-retirement-143796-20230515

Currently dating Miss Universe Sweden winner, Clara Wahlqvist....so still dealing in 10s;D

10 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Based purely on FM - Dede and Ze Roberto.

In real life? -  Ledley King and maybe Christenval

What Ledley achieved despite his physical limitations was mind-blowing. How good would he have been with even minor injuries?

Stan Collymore.

5 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Yeah, Southgate was a missed opportunity. Great defender.

I thought Rolando Aarons was going to be the next big thing, but that fizzled out as quick as the original thought forming.

Edited by hakka