Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle United (01/01/2024)

BlueStar

23 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Wrong signings made, wrong tactics away from home and players out of form getting a game. I actually think I answered it, but I'm not the person the questions should be asked to, which was the point I made. 

Et tu Brute?

20 minutes ago, simonsays said:

We've been shirt recently, but realistically we are going to finish between 6th and 8th this season which is about right imo.  The fourth place came at least two seasons too early for us.

I disagree with this (and maybe don't fully understand it). We finished where we finished last year, and deserved it I reckon.

If you think that was an overachievement by the squad, fair enough. That doesn't really exculpate the team this year from underachieving. There have been injuries, but the performances and management of the squad have IMO been disproportionate to the severity of those injuries. I would like some reassurance Howe is learning before the season has finished. I'm not breaking out pitchforks if not, but I'd personally be a bit uneasy if we start next year without a refresh to the approach to squad management and an alternative style of play to outworking-the-opponent.

I don't think we're on course to finish between 6th and 8th either FWIW.

4 minutes ago, simonsays said:

And a top half one by the end of February.  We are not a top 4 team yet, we need a few seasons to build a squad and for me Eddie Howe is the man to oversee that.  We finished fourth last season and he saved us from what looked like a certain relegation the season before.  I understand people being upset about our recent form  but we are still .oving in the right direction in the medium term

It's not our form upsets me. I get that performances take a dive when you have so many injuries. It's the shocking VAR crap that upsets me. And I mean across football, not just us. 

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It's only Howe who can change it though, I can't and nor can anyone else on this forum. Its only opinions we can make, means fuck all in the grand scheme of things though.

80% of those players then are squad players, as only Tonali was what I would call a first team regular. You improve your first team first and then automatically the squad will improve. 

I know that mate, we're all just on here talking shite, none of us have power. Just asking what you'd do.

Don't think we have first team/squad players, we have maybe 6 guaranteed starters and the rest are supposed to be similar quality and on rotation. I like that, it's how Man City do it, it just so happens that they're not available along with others so the plan is out the window. It's been a nightmare.

28 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Not much to complain about. They simply had better players, all over the pitch. 

Yeah. we did alright to be in it with 20 mins to go tbh.

That commentary tonight was horrific, just horrific.

Even by Drury's normal standards, it was terrible - I'd be fucking livid if i supported Newcastle watching that tonight.

Just now, brummie said:

Even by Drury's normal standards, it was terrible - I'd be fucking livid if i supported Newcastle watching that tonight.

You've embarrassed yourself there because it wasn't Drury, it was Guimaraes.

It was as to be expected, just more infuriating by the fact we got done with 2 extremely soft and dodgy penalty calls and one of our own unsurprisingly glossed over. 

Yes, we're in a bit of a mess, no, it won't get any better in the short term, hoisten your britches because January is going to be a doozy!

I'm sure Howe is as frustrated as all of us right now, but he's still the right man for the job, he just hasn't got the tools right now.

We've got some big calls to make this month with regards to playing staff and same big calls before the end of the season with regards to the backroom staff, we can't afford a repeat of this next season.

42 minutes ago, huss9 said:

looks like VAR having been waiting for a "safe" game where nothings at stake for the other team to give liverpool back the points they stole off them against spurs.

stone wall penalty for when longstaff gets taken out.

and then they forgot the rule for contact in the box being allowed unless its enough to impede the attacker.

absolutely disgusting.

They didn’t wait at all. Have you been watching Liverpool since their game against us? Been getting the *cough* rub of the green for ages.

I will say, there’s absolutely no way that Longstaff one was a penalty and I wish people wouldn’t keep trying to say that :lol:

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

They didn’t wait at all. Have you been watching Liverpool since their game against us? Been getting the *cough* rub of the green for ages.

I will say, there’s absolutely no way that Longstaff one was a penalty and I wish people wouldn’t keep trying to say that :lol:

why wasnt it a pel?

he chests the ball down then gets jumped into. the defender makes no attempt to play the ball.

3 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Liverpool have been getting the rub of the green for about 45 years now.

I fucking hate them.

29 minutes ago, brummie said:

Neville’s reaction when Botman scored was awful, he sounded genuinely gutted.

16 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

It wasn't, it's just that the Jota pen brings it into focus. 

57 minutes ago, Beren said:

I disagree with this (and maybe don't fully understand it). We finished where we finished last year, and deserved it I reckon.

If you think that was an overachievement by the squad, fair enough. That doesn't really exculpate the team this year from underachieving. There have been injuries, but the performances and management of the squad have IMO been disproportionate to the severity of those injuries. I would like some reassurance Howe is learning before the season has finished. I'm not breaking out pitchforks if not, but I'd personally be a bit uneasy if we start next year without a refresh to the approach to squad management and an alternative style of play to outworking-the-opponent.

I don't think we're on course to finish between 6th and 8th either FWIW.

In my opinon, you are correct, but unfortunately this is where we are, the optimal solution in my opinion is to just bite our tongues and be patient. Probably be another couple years (with competence and luck) before we are a consistent force.

Edited by Mountain

31 minutes ago, huss9 said:

why wasnt it a pel?

he chests the ball down then gets jumped into. the defender makes no attempt to play the ball.

This.

Contact doesn’t = a foul.

If you say it does and use it to justify Liverpools penalty, then Longstaff’s is a penalty.

You can’t have it both ways. I’m sick of football fans believing contact alway means a penalty or a foul, especially those one social media who come from non-footballing countries and have spent 20-30 years watching the top 6 clubs get those decisions and automatically think that’s the way it is.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, r0cafella said:

Well, glad I didn’t wake up at 4am to watch this one. :lol:

TBF we were still in with a half chance of a point until a ridiculous penalty was given with 5 mins left. 

Just now, Wullie said:

TBF we were still in with a half chance of a point until a ridiculous penalty was given with 5 mins left. 

I caught the highlights whilst eating breakfast, it looked like we got battered (I know they are usually misleading though). Xg doesn’t look great either. 

Liverpool and decisions going for them, name a more iconic duo. 

7 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Well, glad I didn’t wake up at 4am to watch this one. :lol:

Try my world. Sat watching it with the missus and, when they scored, she says "I'm away to bed" *

So I quickly necked my can of Stella and sacked it off as well. 

Checks the score before lights out and it's 1 fucking 1 ?

"Reet" I says "I'm away back down, we've scored" 

* she was knackered and up at 6 for graft 

I goes back down, get another Stella, sits down, takes a swig, boom 2-1

Stuck with it, this time, and hit the huffy bed

Happy New Year

On the longstaff penalty appeal -  if the same ball falls to a more technical player then they can engineer the situation far more effectively.

Longstaff regularly collapses after miscontrolling the ball or a poor touch. 

9 hours ago, brummie said:

Haha, he commented as if they were Brazil and we were there as a play thing. Some of his drawl was embarrassing. Best of all he got Bruno mixed up with Jo so many times it was comical. Assuming this has already been mentioned?