sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, Magpie said:

It is the first time we have played each other whilst being in a different division. All previous cup ties we have been in the same league.

Ah wow, that's a good one :thup:

1 hour ago, Magpie said:

It is the first time we have played each other whilst being in a different division. All previous cup ties we have been in the same league.

Pretty much why we were so nervous about it. We simply had to win this one.

Loved that we turned up, in their back yard, and bullied them throughout.

Joelinton was obviously right up for it, Gordon in full shithouse mode, Tindall getting the photo done etc etc.

Make no mistake, this was a proper head flushed down the bog, high school movie style bullying.

4 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Loved that we turned up, in their back yard, and bullied them throughout.

Joelinton was obviously right up for it, Gordon in full shithouse mode, Tindall getting the photo done etc etc.

Make no mistake, this was a proper head flushed down the bog, high school movie style bullying.

I've never seen them so quiet. It's beautiful.

10 hours ago, Pablo123 said:

A flock of seagulls got digitally penetrated during the half time meat draw in the centre circle. Band members said it's the last time they do a gig in Sunderland. 

Thats what they get for performing "If I Had A Photograph of You" - mackems get very upset about photos.

Edited by Jonas

On 08/01/2024 at 17:05, OCOCOL said:

Good lads! I'm in the middle of the Gallowgate but I think tis shows we just need more standing areas to get the whole ground going.

I used to know a different version but it's now become a blur having used the current version more often.

Was something like this though;

Kosygin took a holiday he went to Budapest

Kosygin took a holiday he went to Budapest and he said to Joe Harvey...

Who's that team they call United?

Who's that team they all adore?

Oh they play and black and white and they all know how to fight.

We'll support them (you?) ever more.

Bring on your hearts, your hibs your celtic,

Bring on the Spaniards by the score,

Barcelona, Real Madrid, they will make a gallant bid.

Nananana

Nananana-naaa

And there won't be many going home.

(Bit fuzzy on some of the later bits but it was along those lines)

Edited by Heron

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not sure where I stand on this one… 😆

https://x.com/mailsport/status/1744771011994628098?s=46&t=DDNXUN2PoOBhgKmoF77zNw

I’ve sympathy for sure (my mate struggled watching it on TV) but not sure you’d want teams changing their strips when wearing each 1st kits an option 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

As we know, it's happened several times before (and when on tv) and nothing was made of it on those occasions 

Until the 1970s, there was a rule in the FA Cup that if there was a clash of kits then both teams had to change. It's meant that Newcastle and Sunderland have borrowed kits from each other to fulfil games in the 1950s. 

:milner:

49 minutes ago, LFEE said:

https://x.com/mailsport/status/1744771011994628098?s=46&t=DDNXUN2PoOBhgKmoF77zNw

I’ve sympathy for sure (my mate struggled watching it on TV) but not sure you’d want teams changing their strips when wearing each 1st kits an option 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Dunno why the Mail have chosen a picture that just shows 2 players from the same team when the story is about the poor kit choice making it hard to differentiate between the two teams. Missed a trick really.

Wonder if Ally Mick Beale has been watching Wigan and Boro give big spending PL teams a right good game? You'd be sick as a pig the way his timid side surrendered without laying a glove and then seeing a League 1 team under transfer embargo and a fellow Championship side with 14 players out injured give it a right good go and competing.

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

I don’t think it is an option in terms of colour blindness, though.  The clubs used to wear away colours in the derbies when I was a kid.  I thought it was difficult to watch - and even Miley seemed to get confused at one point

IMG_7491.thumb.jpeg.6151b198ff4f7ccc47d0d2d3523bbd66.jpeg

Edited by TheBrownBottle

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

I'm now wondering how it is for the Milan derby and how it was when many teams had the same generic kit just different colours. France, Bulgaria, Finland and Sweden all had the exact same Adidas (Liverpool 91-93) kits in the same World Cup Qualifying group once. Southampton/Villa/Coventry's strips in the late 80s was the same strip when there'd have been some black and white TV's kicking around.

Depending on the designs in our games I think quite a few people are at least initially taken aback by similarities.

I'm for home shirts if we win. So there's no pretending it wasn't them at SJP and no pretending it was someone else at their place.

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

I'm now wondering how it is for the Milan derby and how it was when many teams had the same generic kit just different colours. France, Bulgaria, Finland and Sweden all had the exact same Adidas (Liverpool 91-93) shirt in the same World Cup Qualifying group once. Southampton/Villa/Coventry's strips in the late 80s was the same strip when there'd have been some black and white TV's kicking around.

Depending on the designs of the shirts I think quite a few people are at least initially taken aback by similarities

I'm for home shirts if we win. So there's no pretending it wasn't them at SJP and no pretending it was someone else at their place.

I loved those kit designs when I was a kid.  I remember feeling sort of disappointed when we signed with adidas and the kits weren’t adidas-style kits.  They were the grandfather-collar kits.  I wasn’t a style guru when I was 12 …

3 hours ago, Heron said:

I used to know a different version but it's now become a blur having used the current version more often.

Was something like this though;

Kosygin took a holiday he went to Budapest and he said to Joe Harvey...

Who's that team they call United?

Who's that team they all adore?

Oh they play and black and white and they all know how to fight.

Bring on your hearts, your hibs your celtic,

Bring on the Spaniards by the score,

Barcelona, Real Madrid, they will make a gallant bid.

Nananana

Nananana-naaa

And there won't be many going home.

(Bit fuzzy on some of the later bits but it was along those lines)

Thanks. Never knew that 👍

Must admit, given the apparent desperation to unnecessarily play in away kits these days, I was astonished we weren't in the awful green garb. I love us in the white shorts but it was undeniably the wrong choice from an accessibility point of view as KI says. 

I'm lost with how kit choices are made tbh; it just seems totally random with no loyalty to the kits themselves. Why didn't we wear Saturday's kit at Sheffield United, for instance? Why did we wear all white at Sheff Wed and all blue at Leeds last season? Why the white shorts at Chelsea? Why weren't any of our kits suitable for Brighton (a)? Why do we mix and match away socks? Makes it (even more) difficult to develop a real affection for these kits when there's no true version. 

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thanks. Never knew that 👍

No worries. I'm not sure how many people used to sing this version as amongst my "match lads" this was the version (fellas in their 60s and us - their sons) but a lot of mates from the flags group etc. Had never heard of it and it's actually a running joke that I had made up a song but since, others have heard others sing it. So curious to know if anyone else has...?

18 hours ago, Magpie said:

Dammit....could have sworn it was the first time that a player on player on the right wing failed to use his right foot[emoji38]

11 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Must admit, given the apparent desperation to unnecessarily play in away kits these days, I was astonished we weren't in the awful green garb. I love us in the white shorts but it was undeniably the wrong choice from an accessibility point of view as KI says. 

I'm lost with how kit choices are made tbh; it just seems totally random with no loyalty to the kits themselves. Why didn't we wear Saturday's kit at Sheffield United, for instance? Why did we wear all white at Sheff Wed and all blue at Leeds last season? Why the white shorts at Chelsea? Why weren't any of our kits suitable for Brighton (a)? Why do we mix and match away socks? Makes it (even more) difficult to develop a real affection for these kits when there's no true version. 

Have to say, I’m in the ‘don’t like NUFC in white shorts & socks’ camp.  Would rather wear an away kit.