Newcastle United 2-3 Manchester City (13/01/23)

Yorkie

The difference between us and City yesterday - besides some tactical things - is that we don’t have anyone on KdB’s level. These players make the difference in these types of matches. We don’t have anyone on that tier, yet. Isak’s close, same as Bruno, but both are a tier below. 

If I think back to all the big matches in the last 20 years, the thing that sticks out is the best players make the difference. They score, they create. Sometimes it’s not a tactical thing because both teams are evenly matched, but it’s the magic that the best players can produce. We need to find someone like that to make the difference in these matches. Liverpool have Salah, City have KdB and Haaland, Barca used to have Messi etc. 

As heartbreaking it is to lose in that manner, they are more than 10 years into their project and are the best team in the world right now, with arguably the best manager and the best midfielder and striker,  we are only two years in and we still manage to match them at home when just a a couple of year's ago it was considered a routine win for them, fact that they brought on KDB while we had almost no one to bring on tell you all you need to know at the moment but hopefully in the not so distant future the tables will turn.

De Bruyne’s goal was a week in the making. Pritchard had that same space to run into twice at about the same stage of the game v the mackems.

Difference is one’s world class and can pick a pinpoint spot in the corner whilst the other is midtable Championship fare and hits it close to Dubravka.

15 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

As heartbreaking it is to lose in that manner, they are more than 10 years into their project and are the best team in the world right now, with arguably the best manager and the best midfielder and striker,  we are only two years in and we still manage to match them at home when just a a couple of year's ago it was considered a routine win for them, fact that they brought on KDB while we had almost no one to bring on tell you all you need to know at the moment but hopefully in the not so distant future the tables will turn.

Agreed

I can't believe some of the bollox being spouted about yesterday's game. Well I can like but it's bizzare, all the same. 

You can include the Luton/Forest matches for context if you want to bolster the narrative that we've gone shit and Howe has been "sussed" "won't change anything" (sic) but it's bollox. 

We've run out of steam. You can't suddenly turn a team of high pressing progressives into a compact defensive unit when you're down to the bare bones, can't really train properly and everyone's fucked anyway. 

Man City have great players all over the pitch. Not just De Bruyne and (injured) Haaland. Fuck me they didn't even bother with £100m hairband, Philips or Lewis. 

Edited by Groundhog63

In all seriousness, few of us would have seen this game as a win.

More troubling were the results and performances against Luton, Forest, Bournemouth and Brighton, all of which pointed to a team out of ideas and losing momentum.

I think the defenders were fine and I don’t think you make a sub there unless you have to. It was the lack of an outlet once the players further up were knackered. He brought on Hall, the only player there with some legs.

If we bring Parkinson, Ritchie etc and we lose, Howe gets pelters. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. 

9 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Agreed

I can't believe some of the bollox being spouted about yesterday's game. Well I can like but it's bizzare, all the same. 

You can include the Luton/Forest matches for context if you want to bolster the narrative that we've gone shit and Howe has been "sussed" "won't change anything" (sic) but it's bollox. 

We've run out of steam. You can't suddenly turn a team of high pressing progressives into a compact defensive unit when you're down to the bare bones, can't really train properly and everyone's fucked anyway. 

Man City have great players all over the pitch. Not just De Bruyne and (injured) Haaland. Fuck me they didn't even bother with £100m hairband, Philips or Lewis. 

Or the £50m midfielder Nunes who they bought to replace Phillips. Embarrassing flex against a team that has a smorgasbord of players from their last four managers and a youth team player to fill the bench slots.

"Do you see that massive space that Eddie Howe always leaves in front of the defence? Yeah, that glaringly obvious issue with the way Newcastle have set up? The one that has been obvious for ages and keeps getting exploited? Yeah? Well go stand in it then you'll have all the time in the world."

Weirdly I was very positive after the game yesterday. We’re getting back to what we should be doing. 

We lost because they’re Man City and have the best midfielder in the world on the bench, fair enough. But lots of positives to take overall. 

2 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I think the defenders were fine and I don’t think you make a sub there unless you have to. It was the lack of an outlet once the players further up were knackered. He brought on Hall, the only player there with some legs.

If we bring Parkinson, Ritchie etc and we lose, Howe gets pelters. Damned if he does damned if he doesn’t. 

Thing is, he's did the same thing for months now...just not bringing any fresh legs on and it hasn't worked any time.

At some point you have to stop doing the exact same thing every time that doesn't work.

Just watched the goals again this morning and noticed that for kdb goal you have our 3 centre mids with rodri in front of them all within like a 5m diameter circle and kdb standing behind them. And 1 ball through a gap gives kdb all the space.

Highlights our issues down to a tee, if we had a CDM they would have been sitting Infront of the back 4 probably man marking kdb and the task would have been made a lot more difficult.

Not sure about that, in fact you could argue that the midfield going so narrow was explicitly to stop the balls that were getting through in the first half. 

Man marking KDB is an option I guess, but then what about the other spaces from taking a man out of your normal system. 

I just don’t think think having a DM on the pitch is the silver bullet everyone goes on about. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, Gazzaschicken said:

Just watched the goals again this morning and noticed that for kdb goal you have our 3 centre mids with rodri in front of them all within like a 5m diameter circle and kdb standing behind them. And 1 ball through a gap gives kdb all the space.

Highlights our issues down to a tee, if we had a CDM they would have been sitting Infront of the back 4 probably man marking kdb and the task would have been made a lot more difficult.

This is what I see as our biggest problem. No defensive protection from a proper DM.

I guess is that what Tonali was meant to be?

I thought it was a great game to watch. Five wonderful goals. A disallowed first goal. Against the run of play coming back and taking the lead. Almost making it three before half time (how sweet that would have been… although we were 3-1 up against them last season).  Knife’s edge finish clinging on for a drawer against the Champions of Europe. 
I understand the disappointment and worry as the games tick away. Bottom-line is that not many expected us to get anything. And we didn’t. The craft, the tactics and the battle were there for all to see though. Guardiola’s joy and compliments were genuine and for good reason. We are getting back to what we can become. We’re a quarter of the pieces down from a formidable top four side who can give anyone a game, anywhere, anytime. This time next year Rodder’s… . 

24 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Notes in comments that the refs have been going to UAE to do matches and being paid - is this true? Bit of a conflict of interest if so.

They have been doing Saudi matches also

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

I thought it was a great game to watch. Five wonderful goals. A disallowed first goal. Against the run of play coming back and taking the lead. Almost making it three before half time (how sweet that would have been… although we were 3-1 up against them last season).  Knife’s edge finish clinging on for a drawer against the Champions of Europe. 
I understand the disappointment and worry as the games tick away. Bottom-line is that not many expected us to get anything. And we didn’t. The craft, the tactics and the battle were there for all to see though. Guardiola’s joy and compliments were genuine and for good reason. We are getting back to what we can become. We’re a quarter of the pieces down from a formidable top four side who can give anyone a game, anywhere, anytime. This time next year Rodder’s… . 

:thup:

Bruno signalled to come off when he got clattered after about 60 mins and Lascelles was going to come on for him, before he indicated to give him more time to decide

Would have been interesting if we had gone 5 at the back but one of the centre backs being asked to plug the huge gap between midfield and defence. Don't think it would have made much difference

Just bare in mind that Craig Hope gets pelters on here for his negativity (some headlines are ridiculous mind), even he saw the positives.

Just now, Gazzaschicken said:

Two of their goals didn't come from this problem though and they don't play with a dedicated AM much, they're exceptionally fluid positionally and basically have multiple AMs at any one time. Case in point, KdB is in a completely different position for the winner.

I actually thought one of our CBs could've done better for the second, they both chose to track the run instead of one making the decision to close space. 

5 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

This is what I see as our biggest problem. No defensive protection from a proper DM.

He played before the ban, he was not deployed as a DM

11 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I'd be surprised. He's an excellent box to box player.

Remember Howe saying how he wanted a fluid 3 in midfield, no out and out DM.