'I can't believe they've made it': overrated players

toon25

Rice in his best role is good at what he does, but he seems reluctant to stray out of his comfort zone. From what I see, he spends most of his time in that anchor position, in plenty of space, re-distributing the ball around the midfield players ahead of him. When he has the opportunity to move forward in possession into space, he can be a difficult player to tackle, so he does have good qualities. He's very strong, and wins lots of challenges.

What I don't feel I see enough of,  is him moving forward into tighter, advanced spaces to receive the ball. And yes, I know his basic role is that anchor position, but a world class player should have the ability and confidence to take advantage of those opportunities when they present themselves, and rely on someone else to cover. He often seems to spurn those opportunities. I suspect his first touch isn't that great and he's a bit worried about losing the ball in those tighter spaces.

I also think that whilst his passing is decent for that anchor role, I don't see much passing ability beyond that.

To re-iterate, I think he's a good player. Just not a great one.

23 minutes ago, La Parka said:

Ruben Rochina - another Blackburn mistake. About as prolific as wor shola and contributed to their relegation season.

David N'Gog- Another one from a good academy so he must be good hype.

Apostolos Vellios - Another greek failure in the prem.

Chris Baird - Stuck around like a stinky fart at a number of shit clubs

Jay Spearing / Sebastian Coates - both at Liverpool in their shaky years. Coates was perpetually shit. Spearing was a specimen. 

Fabio/Rafael - double headed shit dragon. 

Vernon Anita - probably looked good til everyone else hit puberty

James Vaughan - spewing blood from his severed artery 

Mamady Sidebe - just a fucking unit

Sebastian Larson - used to play for arsenal so must be good. Only useful for set pieces. 

Danny Rose - I have no idea what happened to him or why he just capitulated 

Franco di Santo - worse record than shola 

This is finally the right kind of answer

been some horrible takes in this thread 

Lampard , Rice ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

wtf is going on here 

I was taking the question a bit tongue in cheek i am totally aware he was brilliant lol just somehow i always thought he was fluking it the whole time :P

Ruud van Nistelrooy had an amazing career for someone whose only qualities were being in the right place at the right time and I guess finishing inside the box. I absolutely loathed him when he was at Man Utd. :lol:

Edited by Pata

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Ruud van Nistelrooy had an amazing career for someone whose only qualities were being in the right place at the right time and I guess finishing inside the box. I absolutely loathed him when he was at Man Utd. :lol:

Yea.. he was striker with incredible striking technique. What did you want him to do? track back and defend and then not be in the box to finish off chances? Being in the right place at the right time is a skill within itself and his finishing is the best I've seen in the Premier League to date.