Aston Villa vs. Newcastle United: 30/1/24 @ 20:15 (TNT Sports)

HaydnNUFC

15 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I have a feeling we might nick this 0-1 given Villa’s form has dipped a little at home.

And we've been so great away from home....? [emoji38]

Have been feeling quietly confident about this match until the Fulham game. Not sure now but fingers crossed the end of that match shook off our cobwebs. Joelinton a big miss, though.

On 28/01/2024 at 04:37, STM said:

I know it won't happen, and I love that Eddie is resolved in his tactics but just to change formation once and get an opposition thinking would be kinda nice.

I had something like this in mind:

Dubravka 

Schar   Botman    Burn 

Trippier                             Livramento 

Bruno

Longstaff

Murphy                             Gordon

Isak

Or even Miley in for Murphy and play Gordon and Isak upfront. It doesn't pay to be predictable.

I agree if there was ever a time for Eddie to pull something new out this feels like when it’s needed. 

25 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I agree if there was ever a time for Eddie to pull something new out this feels like when it’s needed. 

I think we have to change something, going out 4-3-3 is suicide. We need Tinos pace too.

If we roll out the 4-3-3 with Burn that maybe the slowest 11 in the league against possibly the fastest?

Nowt but a thrashing for me here, unfortunately based on nothing other than that Fulham performance. We’ll ship a minimum of 3

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Nowt but a thrashing for me here, unfortunately based on nothing other than that Fulham performance. We’ll ship a minimum of 3

We'll probably play better than we did vs. Fulham but still get tanked.

I can't feel confident about any game with our current midfield. That said, it's not out of the question we get a result, we just need to play the same sort of stuff we did against Fulham once we went 2-0 up.

Villa's midfield options are absolute quality, good mix of attributes between them and very well drilled. Think this is where the game will be won and they have the advantage 

Having said that, we have a good front 3 to try and exploit their high line... Deffo can see both teams scoring

12 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

I have a feeling we might nick this 0-1 given Villa’s form has dipped a little at home.

No idea what will happen tomorrow, but home form dipped in which way?  We've played 10 home league matches, won 9 and drawn 1, scored 29 and conceded 8. 

We also won 7 out of our last 7 home league matches at the end of last season, and haven't lost at home in the league since Arsenal beat us, very nearly a year ago.

;-)

Getting back to the matter in hand, though, we've not been great in general the last few weeks, and we're really, really missing Pau Torres, who is massively important to the way we play (although Lenglet has looked ok of late, he's still nowhere near as good at passing out of defence). We also could do with a fit and firing Jacob Ramsey back asap. Diaby is also currently going through a terrible period, really out of form.  Digne is also out, he was excellent for us first half of the season.

On the positive side, Tielemans is back fully fit, Moreno is starting to look the player he was before his injury, and after having decided he was the only player Emery could not do anything with, Bailey is now making me look like an idiot and starting to look like he's worth every penny of what we paid for him .

Hoping we get firing on all cylinders again soon, though.

Martinez Cash Konsa Lenglet Moreno Luiz Kamara McGinn Tielemans Watkins Bailey I reckon.

Edited by brummie

6 minutes ago, brummie said:

No idea what will happen tomorrow, but home form dipped in which way?  We've played 10 home league matches, won 9 and drawn 1, scored 29 and conceded 8. 

We also won 7 out of our last 7 home league matches at the end of last season, and haven't lost at home in the league since Arsenal beat us, very nearly a year ago.

;-)

Getting back to the matter in hand, though, we've not been great in general the last few weeks, and we're really, really missing Pau Torres, who is massively important to the way we play (although Lenglet has looked ok of late, he's still nowhere near as good at passing out of defence). We also could do with a fit and firing Jacob Ramsey back asap. Diaby is also currently going through a terrible period, really out of form.  Digne is also out, he was excellent for us first half of the season.

On the positive side, Tielemans is back fully fit, Moreno is starting to look the player he was before his injury, and after having decided he was the only player Emery could not do anything with, Bailey is now making me look like an idiot and starting to look like he's worth every penny of what we paid for him .

Martinez Cash Konsa Lenglet Moreno Luiz Kamara McGinn Tielemans Watkins Bailey I reckon.

Thought konsa had been playing right back so was gonna include him in my yellow card bet cos he's got a few lately and he'll be uo against Gordon if he was

6 hours ago, brummie said:

;-)

Don’t look a midfield that would work on paper with 3 holding/playmakers in there. Would imagine you’ll dominate possession tonight and we’ll look to catch you in transition.

Edited by Whitley mag

After our perhaps flattering victory in the first game vs Villa, they want to get a revenge. And they certainly have the quality to punish a very out of form Newcastle. Hopefully we can turn it around, but i fear the worst.
If our defense can perform at their best, and Isak, Bruno and Gordon get into it, anything can happen.

We’ve beaten better teams with worse squads and managers. I get it looks unlikely given form but people going on as if it’s nailed on. 

Gordon masterclass 0-2 

Sorry to be negative but I thought we were bang average in the main against Fulham and Villa won’t be profligate in front of goal. Can’t see past a defeat particularly as we still just have so little options off the bench.