Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

Just now, Aiston said:

Could easily be 3-2 there has been so many chances either side.

Excellent to get into HT with that 2-0 lead.

What are you watching?

Really good away performance, breaking well, and defending as a team. Our shape throughout has been spot on.

That said they have a goal in them, so if we can get the next one to not make it a nervy end that'd be grand.

On 14/01/2024 at 15:32, Kid Icarus said:

I've asked myself a lot whether this is sour grapes, but I just can't shake the feeling that a lot of Villa's success is down to luck.

They're a really good side but the amount of times their back line has been broken only for the opposition to fuck it up is crazy. They also seem to have that knack of deflections, ball losses, and clearances falling perfectly to them (like Dortmund seemed to against us) 

Don't get me wrong, I only think it's part of why they've been successful, you make your own luck, and I've also seen them just play brilliantly as well, but I do also think they're really really outstripping their performances this season.

This half is largely what I've seen when I've watched Villa this season defensively. It's Emery and they're good so I'm fully expecting them to fight back strong in the 2nd half and honestly wouldn't feel comfortable unless it was like 4 nil, but we've played to their high line weaknesses really well and really should have a couple more.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Really? They certainly haven't had 3 goalscoring chances

Wait what?? What chances have Villa had?? Can’t remember Dubs making a save. Could be 3-0 more like 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Hamstring ?

Possibly.  Seemed to walk off reasonably ok, probably means he’s out for the season

(I shouldn’t even joke about that given the season so far …)

Shame as this has been a cracking game of football and a first class NUFC performance 

We're 2-0 up against the best home team in the league. Doubt any player of ours deserves any critique right now no matter how many or few touches of the ball they've had. Just please keep it up second half.

We need to take a little bit more control, a couple of spells they have been able to create chances and get in behind us.

We have done well otherwise though, we just can’t be complacent, and our 2nd half performances recently have been exactly that.

Thought we could have been at least 2 up before we even scored.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Hamstring ?

Don’t think so as he walked off with the physio and looked to be moving normally. 

3 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Yeah if they score all their chances and we don’t score all ours they’d be winning.