Aston Villa 1-3 Newcastle United (30/01/24) | Reaction: pg 50 | Goal-posts: OP

Disco

Convinced we would be where Villa are if not for the crazy injuries and fitness problems we have had this season. We have comfortably beaten them on both occasions and I have watched them a few times this season and they really are no better than us .

5 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Convinced we would be where Villa are if not for the crazy injuries and fitness problems we have had this season. We have comfortably beaten them on both occasions and I have watched them a few times this season and they really are no better than us .

Aye, in the games where we have played well we have looked like the team from last season. Just will the injuries and schedule we have only looked like that team 20% of the time if that. 

44 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

100% would be. And will be next season. 

55 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Aye, in the games where we have played well we have looked like the team from last season. Just will the injuries and schedule we have only looked like that team 20% of the time if that. 

We've been playing at the same level at home. Just a huge difference away from home really. We looked like ourselves in 2 away games in the league, second one being yesterday.

Edited by Erikse

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

McCoist loves football, he really does…. Not sure he ever provides much insight. But it is nice having someone so enthusiastic and joyful on co-comms. Bar the derby, he has been really pro-Newcastle and all. 

Poor old Burn “he needs a complimentary to get back in” :lol: Ando cooked him and all “A pie and a Bovril, please” :lol: 

It's just nice to listen to someone who isn't massively annoying. 

5 hours ago, zooovs said:

We are not their Kryptonite as they absolutely battered us last season, maybe they were the team that outplayed us the most.

The good part is that now we have a capable manager who did change how we play specifically against Villa - оur defenders going up the field for their long through balls, Bruno sitting a little bit deeper and not pressing, trying to upset their play with very high-press the first 10-15 minutes of each half, us trying diagonal through balls to beat up their very high line etc. 

Ah right, didn’t see that match. I just meant that I think the way you played last night is the best way for you to play right now full stop, and it’s also the best way to beat Aston Villa. Maybe it would change with different players?

Not just the injuries but our cup games have been brutal. PSG twice, Dortmund twice, AC Milan twice, City at home, Man U away, Chelsea away, Mackems away, Fulham away. So many difficult games with a massively stretched squad. Honestly can't remember a team having it as bad as we've had recently.

19 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Ah right, didn’t see that match. I just meant that I think the way you played last night is the best way for you to play right now full stop, and it’s also the best way to beat Aston Villa. Maybe it would change with different players?

The issue is more out win,out fight, out run and be relentless it's how Howe likes to play and we can do it but not for the full 90 meaning if we aren't infront before the other team dominates/comes back in it we simply run out of steam  (alot of late goals conceded too late on when we havent been able to build up more than a 1 goal cushion) or struggle to get back in it. Even last season the back 5 were great but we went up in numbers and defended in numbers then countered quickly and hounded for every ball even lost causes. It needs everyone to give it there all attacking and defending and is energy sapping. If your shattered due to playing all the time you either run out if steam by 50/60mins or you subconsciously give 80% and not empty the tanks to last longer as you know no sub is coming to relieve you.

This approach has made on paper poorer players look so good last season but sub par at times this season.

Delighted with the break and even 1 attacking option on the bench and botman returning has shown signs we can do Newcastle of last season again. 

Edited by nufcjmc

40 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Thought that was our home record against them there.

But that's one L in 21 not 19. My mistake.

I understand why some of our fans hate Villa, for me that hatred ended the day they beat Brighton to give us the championship title.

If I’m honest if it can’t be us this season to disrupt the sly6 and the champions league places, I’m happy for it to be them 

1 hour ago, Ronson333 said:

We basically did to them what they did to us last season. Biggest thing for me though, it’s now clear Howe learns from tactical mistakes, which is huge for our future.

Not really. We beat them comprehensively home and away. We thrashed them at home last season and they thrashed us at their gaff last season.

48 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

I understand why some of our fans hate Villa, for me that hatred ended the day they beat Brighton to give us the championship title.

If I’m honest if it can’t be us this season to disrupt the sly6 and the champions league places, I’m happy for it to be them 

Steve Bruce shared trauma for me. When everyone else was telling us how great he was Villa knew and had experienced the same.

More of them that get pushed down the better for me too. Can but dream, but into a crisis would be nice. Probably take the status quo over Everton but that's it.

2 hours ago, nufcnick said:

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Steve Bruce shared trauma for me. When everyone else was telling us how great he was Villa knew and had experienced the same.

More of them that get pushed down the better for me too. Can but dream, but into a crisis would be nice. Probably take the status quo over Everton but that's it.

Agree with both of these. 

Might just be Brummie on here being sound :lol: But since Emery, especially. I don’t really have any issues with them.