Newcastle United 4-4 Luton Town (03/02/24) | Reaction: pg40

Yorkie

The defence has been shocking and that's been the case several times this season . I was accepting when we had injuries and fitness issues which did affect the side but we just don't seem to be learning our lessons at the back. We're piss poor against a half decent counter and it needs to be sorted. 

10 minutes ago, M1tche said:

If that's what was needed for Howe to realise that Tino HAS to start over Burn then ill take it, but if Burn starts again for any other reason than TIno being unavaliable then its utter bollocks.

He will though. He won’t drop him.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, I watch football to be entertained and I was entertained.  The sort of match that Howe’s reputation suggested we’d see from his time at Bournemouth - it’s hard to be parsimonious in defence when the entire back four has absolutely no pace

Yup and our quickest defenders rots away on the bench, we were rightfully punished today. 

Good game and a shite but fair result.

Overall a bit too 'job's done' for my liking at 1-0, 2-1, and 4-4, with us only seeming to want to go for it at 1-1, 2-3, 2-4 and 3-4.

Defensively so poor, partly down to the midfield we have to play and partly because of issues we haven't rectified since AC Milan at home.

We've seen that pattern of play for their 3rd too many times now.

I don't like scapegoating and I still rate him overall, but I don't think anyone should be in any doubtgahat it's time for Livramento to come in for Burn and stay in. Our midfield and defence simply don't have the legs to cover for him. Despite that I thought the pen was unbelievably soft and that the ref was poor.

Dubravka: 5.5

Trippier: 8

Schär: 6

Botman: 6

Burn: 4

Longstaff: 7

Bruno: 6

Miley: 6

Murphy: 7

Gordon: 6.5

Almiron: 6.5

Barnes: 7

Wilson: 6.5

Livramento: 6.5

Edited by Kid Icarus

Weird game. Both teams seemed to play needlessly frantic from the off  was as if both were chasing a winner with a few minutes to go. Loads of overcommiting, rushing and taking risks in possession and no real attempt to gain any control over the match. 

Just now, Keggy_Keagal said:

The defence has been shocking and that's been the case several times this season . I was accepting when we had injuries and fitness issues which did affect the side but we just don't seem to be learning our lessons at the back. We're piss poor against a half decent counter and it needs to be sorted. 

I don't think it's necessarily the defence at fault, there's just too much space in behind us when we lose the ball. Which we do quite often because some of our players can't pass under pressure.

It’s a bit of a concern that our head’s completely go when we go behind at home. Very lucky we managed to rescue it because it was looking very Boxing Day for a while.

Howe has a big decision to make when it comes to Burn and Tino. For my money he can’t justify sticking with BDB any longer. It’s twice in a week he’s been completely pantsed by a player with a bit of pace about him. He’s going to be targeted for the rest of the season.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Yup and our quickest defenders rots away on the bench, we were rightfully punished today. 

Only £80m worth of fullbacks on the bench :) - honestly, the bloke must have stots the size of watermelons.  Imagine explaining that to the board when questions come up about why we spent that money?

We had some iffy home performances against relegation-threatened teams last season too, it doesn't have to define the season. However, the lack of control today and vs. Forest is so different to those results.

Partly the midfield problem but also Burn being a very easy target these days. Actually, Burn is being more exposed due to this but it just means we have to play someone who is better at defending pace 1v1.

Our continued lack of tactical fouling when teams break is weird. If you can't get the ball, take the man ffs.

Tbh, playing Burns over the vastly superior Tino in an open-ended game like this is untenable IMO.

However beyond that I just can't understand why there was no attempt to dictate the game and there was such a cavalier approach to retaining possession.

For this type of game to happen so frequently this season and nothing to be learnt is mind-boggling given all the resources and seriousness with which ownership treats success.

Makes an absolute waste of a great performance at Villa. Two steps forward, one step back.

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Maybe next year.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Goes without saying, but we are absolutely fucked when Bruno gets that 2 game ban.

He looked injured all 2nd half, he may regret not getting the booking today if he struggles to make next week

Glass half empty says two dropped points to a promoted team at home. Glass half full says we were 2-4 down at home and still fought back and got a point.

Defensively, what annoyed me was the first two, a simple knockback off a floaty freekick for #1 and then three missed challenges in midfield for #2. That's like Champo level. Someone skinning one of ours for pace, this time Dan Burn, doesn't really bother me.

I didn't think Wilson did much but well played Harvey Barnes. Good to see him score, especially because it seems there are plenty who do not rate him.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Only £80m worth of fullbacks on the bench :) - honestly, the bloke must have stots the size of watermelons.  Imagine explaining that to the board when questions come up about why we spent that money?

He’s probably asking the board why the they aren’t very efficient tbf :lol:

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

Lots of negativity re Howe on this thread. This football management malarkey is an easy game from your armchair. 

Say what you want, but it truly was easy to see that Burn had no business staying on the pitch after that first half.

4 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Ref was the biggest wet blanket, waste of space, soft wanker, useless cunt without making howlers I've seen in a while.  No doubt in my mind he's a cuckold.

In what world do you look at our refs and come to the conclusion that they can get an intimate partner to start to even become a cuckold?

Half the fuckers are still crying for fucking bitty.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I don't think it's necessarily the defence at fault, there's just too much space in behind us when we lose the ball. Which we do quite often because some of our players can't pass under pressure.

We haven’t coped at all well with going from a keeper who plays on the edge of his 18 yard box to one who is terrified of leaving his six yard box. That’s not a criticism of Dubravka btw. We’re just struggling to adapt.

1 minute ago, Beren said:

Tbh, playing Burns over the vastly superior Tino in an open-ended game like this is untenable IMO.

However beyond that I just can't understand why there was no attempt to dictate the game and there was such a cavalier approach to retaining possession.

For this type of game to happen so frequently this season and nothing to be learnt is mind-boggling given all the resources and seriousness with which ownership treats success.

Makes an absolute waste of a great performance at Villa. Two steps forward, one step back.

Serious Brian Cox GIF by SuccessionHBO

Maybe next year.

I was actually quite happy with how we set out, we were trying to pass it round their press, which we did successfully for about 20 mins, but they were relentless, then some of our lower value players couldn't cope with the pressure.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

:) 

‘Never mind me playing BDB despite what everyone with eyes can see - where’s the training ground sponsor???’

Haha pretty much, it’s interesting how everyone comes into focus at 3 o clock on a Saturday, I see mistakes every where from the boardroom downwards. 

Of course Dan burn being the first name on the time sheet is one of those Inexcusable errors. 

Just now, christ said:

We haven’t coped at all well with going from a keeper who plays on the edge of his 18 yard box to one who is terrified of leaving his six yard box. That’s not a criticism of Dubravka btw. We’re just struggling to adapt.

Also, the fact he is so much better with his feet than Pope hasn’t mattered much today or in most games, really. As we are often incapable of building from the back or retaining possession under pressure. 

Bruno will 100% play and get booked next week, willock will be back on the bench for that game. Then, it's 2 without Bruno but we have okish options. I just hope we go with Miley middle of the 3 when he's out. His all round game is more suited to it than Longstaffs. 

Positives, Barnes back, Wilson back, Murphy back. All looking quite strong. Hopefully Isak can be on the bench and Gordan isn't actually crocked.