Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Yasir has wowed by the support and has been in from Day 1. Big question remains if PIF will continue to be interested in project if Yasir is replaced for whatever reasons. Successor may have own pet project

Is there any reason to think that he will be replaced?

Some background on Tiago Pinto

He left Roma Feb 3rd, 24

Since 2017, Benfica have won the Portuguese Primeira Liga and the Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira as well as regularly qualifying for the Champions League.

During this period Benfica have recruited players from within the Primeira Liga, a league forming some of the best young players in Europe, Spain’s La Liga, the Brazilian Serie A and the Argentine Primera Division, leagues which have provided some of the foremost names to have played in Serie A.

During Pinto’s time in the role, Benfica have continued their rich tradition of the development of academy players, many of whom are now playing for Europe's largest clubs.

Dan Friedkin, Chairman of AS Roma, said: “Tiago is a world class talent. In our many conversations, it was clear that his passion for his job, forward-thinking mindset, and, above all, winning mentality were consistent with the new ethos at Roma.

"We are convinced that his remarkable energy, uncompromising ethics, and track record of identifying, developing and optimising talent will help in our ambitions as we begin to prepare Roma to compete for trophies at the highest levels of Italian and European football."

Decent Athletic article here too.

Edited by Irish Magpie

Massive profits on player trading is not something I can ever see our fans getting behind.. as in the ones that would generate those sorts of fees we tend to get very attached to.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Massive profits on player trading is not something I can ever see our fans getting behind.. as in the ones that would generate those sorts of fees we tend to get very attached to.

Benfica have to sell - it’s their way of making their “TV” money - cant survive otherwise 

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Beast in CM 97/98

I think you could get 3 Pintos in one team couldn't you? With Joao and Nuno as well :lol:

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d only be interested in him if we inserted a no Mourinho clause in his contract.

Yeah, not a fan of that part of him.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Full piece here: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/tiago-pinto-interest-dan-ashworth-newcastle-2950296 

Interesting link. Benfica are pretty sensational in the transfer market from a financial perspective. They recruited/promoted and made staggering profits on Enzo Fernandez, Darwin Nunez, Ruben Dias and Joao Felix on his watch to name a few.

Me likey. 

43 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Wasn’t particularly impressive at Roma tbh (I know they won a trophy but that was more down to Mourinho and his recruitment).

Yeah recruitment was a tad patchy tbh - they had a canny crop of Italians but I struggle to think of any big signings they made 

And yes all transfers seemed Jose driven.

On 11/03/2024 at 13:20, Yorkie said:

Full piece here: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/tiago-pinto-interest-dan-ashworth-newcastle-2950296 

Interesting link. Benfica are pretty sensational in the transfer market from a financial perspective. They recruited/promoted and made staggering profits on Enzo Fernandez, Darwin Nunez, Ruben Dias and Joao Felix on his watch to name a few.

The prospect of capturing the next generation of Portuguese stars is mouthwatering! I like this link

Edited by Holmesy

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Who is Paul Mitchell and which club is he at and why is he good?

Was at Southampton and Spurs, currently at Monaco. 

Source for good: trust me bro