FAC QF: Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United (16/03/24) | Reaction: pg 34

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought we had the right idea and set up but when the moments that the set up provided arrived, the quality and composure just wasn't there. 

:thup: Isak had two great chances and Burn should have had a pop when it came but no confidence.  They could have stepped it up I guess but I reckon we had about as many clear cut chances as we needed, or as they did

Edited by OpenC

Christ! you'd think everybody else that goes to Man City goes toe-to-toe with them and gives them a game and its just chance that they thrash most teams and haven't lost for 38 of these games.

Edited by Jonas

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think it had the potential to be. First goal killed it. It's not good but that's where we're at atm; we've nowhere near the required quality or mentality to overturn a deficit at the Etihad. 

It's always got the potential to be but I completely agree with what you're saying here. At least the Premier League will let us do something about that quality deficit...

9 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Good performance though, according to some

I wouldn’t say it was a bad performance for the players we have and the situation we’re in. Problem is we gave away two unlucky/soft goals and we were finished. 

Wouldn’t say it was a good performance but we played better with the ball than we have done recently. We messed up the few chances we had and our perennial problem of getting played through midfield straight up against a defender through the middle was as present as ever. Shame we didn’t have more of the ball but it’s just a nightmare against them

Ah well never mind. We do have something there you know, after a few outs and ins next season could be interesting.. 

Hopefully we can hang on to Bruno, Joelinton & Isak

Longstaff really needs coached or shipped out imo.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Wouldn’t say it was a good performance but we played better with the ball than we have done recently. We messed up the few chances we had and our perennial problem of getting played through midfield straight up against a defender through the middle was as present as ever. Shame we didn’t have more of the ball but it’s just a nightmare against them

Us in a half confident way would've made more of the those chances. Possibly the worst thing about playing City, they give you so little of a sniff, it creates snatching of chances when you finally get them.

Relieved with 2-0.

Last season's League Cup final loss seems to be stinging more now. Post-defeat, I thought we'd march onwards and strengthen and it was just a matter of time.

Now though it's looking like a once in a generation opportunity against an average team. FFP and FMV are making it increasingly clear we won't be allowed to match up evenly against the superleague cartel, and we'll need exceptional luck to win a domestic cup.

Edited by Turnbull2000

Tedious and just a summary of modern football. Ground down by the City machine. At what point will people generally start not bothering - I don’t just mean us, others who don’t stand a chance of competing unless the “rules” start to allow fresh teams to challenge.

16 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

He also scored in another and Howe just seemed to push that out of his mind.

He sees the guy everyday in training, unlike any of us on here. 

Just now, Nucasol said:

IMG_5444.thumb.jpeg.22ae36d5d204e4cba4c88bb81f37df66.jpeg

Meh.

Absolutely to be expected when you set up to counter with 5 at the back away to City, the issue is we choked our opportunities due to individual mistakes/misfortune. 

26 minutes ago, NE27 said:

And will be for the discernable future you'd imagine.

Yep, and on top of that their players will have a mentality so instilled in them by this point that I doubt they ever go out expecting anything other than a win.

That's fucking difficult to compete with!

Just now, Pancrate1892 said:

Who was the last player for us to score at their ground? Murphy? Mitrovic? 

Out of every team that's went there in the last couple of decades we must be the lowest scorers 

Yedlin ?

Just as well ffp and fmv is there to give us a chance. Selling Bruno to City in the summer will bridge the gap a little.

It’s almost pointless now.

Only 2 goals in a defeat against the best team in the absolute world and people still moan 🤣

We didn’t park the bus. We were unlucky with both goals. Them not going in and this thread would of been sucking the team off through the screens.