Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

So couldn't beat Everton, Bournemouth, Luton or the worst Chelsea team in decades this season...

So could thrash Man United, Chelsea, PSG, Sheffield United, the mackems, Villa, a couple against the odds comebacks, beat Arsenal and Man City.

Didn't win some other games though

Edited by Wolfcastle

18 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Ederson vs Fraser. Stones vs Schar etc. VAR have a lot of previous with off the ball fouls.

True, but it depends on the ref watching on VAR, the inconsistency is infuriating to be fair.

Feel more demoralised after that game then any others. Think because we are even further down to bare bones, and we know Isak etc will get injured soon, and seeing Willock be way off and Dummett actually getting minutes, means top 7 let’s be honest is just not on. 

Going to be a bit of drag to end of season, but hopefully there’s green shoots for next season with Hall/Anderson getting good minutes, and maybe some appearances for Alex Murphy. Would even say Harrison is worth giving minutes if that’s what Willock is going to offer.

Struggle to put into words how much a loathe playing against Everton.

Players were spent after the first half. They had nothing to give after Everton equalised.

Can't help but laugh, bring on the old bloke because he's seen it/done it all before so surely he'll see it out right? Nope, he just goes and absolutely throws away two points. Wasn't that long ago he didn't look out of place in our back four :lol:

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't see how you can possibly be serious tbh.

their only chance in the game was a penalty. It's a complete contrast to any of our recent performances where we've been gifting teams like Everton countless chances to score. We created chances, killed counter attacks before they began, battered them in duels and won second balls. We've not controlled a game as well as that for a while now.

Edited by Smal

Special mention for Dan Burn tonight btw, I thought he was brilliant tonight. He was honking for a few months and got pelters for it at the time but I thought he was exceptional tonight, can't remember a single mistake and got us off the hook a few times too. He was superb and it's right he gets a bit of praise

Thought Anderson looked like a disruptor in midfield, obviously the legs went but a different midfielder with agression and with more games could bring more balance.

Disappointing, should have won that. Second half we were quite poor though. They pushed higher up and as usual we struggled to get out a lot against a press, though we made some chances on the counter. Always felt like one of the old Ashley guard was going to gift them a soft goal though.

Thought Burn was was solid at CB, no-one else really stood out apart from Isak. Barnes did some nice bits first half. Bruno a bit quiet for the most part. Longstaff was poor again unfortunately. Guy needs a break from the first team. Anderson lively but still takes too many touches all the time. Too many dilly dalliers in the team at times and not enough quicky quicky passy passy. Particularly under pressure. Thought Newcastle United Fan Lewis Hall did pretty well though. Which was nice. Hope he's starting a lot more.

That very static back four with bruno deep and the other 2 CMs standing miles in front and wide from him way of playing out needs to be changed. Bruno never has anyone near him to link with.

Edited by Checko

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Raging after that tbh. Completely self inflicted at every level.

Honestly if Dummett doesn't do something mind-bogglingly stupid, it's an ugly but pretty comfortable and deserved 1-0 win. I wasn't expecting fireworks after Saturday; we are literally on our last legs. 

Wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like our best performance in a good while, we controlled the game, and should have put the game to bed if we'd taken our chances, and the our 5th choice left-back cost us the 3 points by doing something really stupid? 

That about right?

Just now, midds said:

Special mention for Dan Burn tonight btw, I thought he was brilliant tonight. He was honking for a few months and got pelters for it at the time but I thought he was exceptional tonight, can't remember a single mistake and got us off the hook a few times too. He was superb and it's right he gets a bit of praise

Aye, looked far more comfortable in CB which is assuring considering we have 2 CB's with very long term injuries.

Just now, midds said:

he gave us some of the cynical play we've been missing the last few months imo. Made at least two really smart fouls to prevent counter attacks before they got going. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

I know its against the rules of squad limits and ffp but Howe should still have magiced up some better quality players to make up the numbers on the bench and bring on.

If Howe hadn't stupidly caused Hall to get injured we'd have won. 

I could understand if Dummett got done for pace, but it's a pretty daft penalty to give away.

Fwiw Burn had his shirt nearly pulled off 10 minutes earlier but without Gordon on the pitch we're far too naive about putting pressure on the referee.

Just now, 54 said:

Wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like our best performance in a good while, we controlled the game, and should have put the game to bed if we'd taken our chances, and the our 5th choice left-back cost us the 3 points by doing something really stupid? 

That about right?

Just missing the ridiculously harsh disallowed goal.

We played well first half, not as good in the second but created enough to win comfortably. Dummett coming on instead of Murphy to see it out bothers me. aswell as naming two keepers on the bench alfie harrison should of been giving the space on the bench instead. 

2 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

You can get away with that penalty if it was a shirt pull IMO, but literal headlock, is a slam dunk. 

Young wasn't even a threat to get anywhere near that. It's clown behaviour from Dummet.

I don't know how you don't just grab that man by the throat in the dressing room.

Just now, geordiesteve710 said:

I could understand if Dummett got done for pace, but it's a pretty daft penalty to give away.

How many minutes of VAR football has he played? That would have never been a penalty in a million years before VAR.