Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

My entire argument in these situations is that  if you play like that at 1-0, especially with our record, then you're always susceptible to ending up saying "if it wasn't for..." at full time.

Did we even play "like that" though? We could and should have got a second goal, but with literally just one decent sub available to us, we were always going to struggle towards the end.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'm clearly on an Island that don't think it's a foul, so fine. But in 99.9% of Dummetts football playing life, that's a bit of clever play and no one even thinks twice about it. That is how he has been brought up to defend, and he hasn't had the playing minutes to re-program himself. 

Was fucking idiotic, if its even a sniff of a foul which it was 100%,  VAR is all over it, its thick as pig shit from Dummett.

16 minutes ago, midds said:

Special mention for Dan Burn tonight btw, I thought he was brilliant tonight. He was honking for a few months and got pelters for it at the time but I thought he was exceptional tonight, can't remember a single mistake and got us off the hook a few times too. He was superb and it's right he gets a bit of praise

I'm gutted for him he didn't get his goal. Imagine scoring at home while wearing the armband would've meant the world to him. Deserved it too after that performance 

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Didn't we beat west ham in added time?

90th min goal so pre extra time. The only thing of note in extra time I suppose was the Gordon red and the missed chance from Soucek [emoji38]

Just now, Nobody said:

Did we even play "like that" though? We could and should have got a second goal, but with literally just one decent sub available to us, we were always going to struggle towards the end.

Yeah we did imo, I thought from midway through the first half we were being far too blasé with a lot of our attacking play, like the 2nd was just a matter of time rather than a matter of us.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

They did though. They hit the post, had a couple of squandered chances they hit straight at Dubravka, and had another couple that needed last ditch tackles.

Honestly no idea what you mean tbh, we regularly lost the ball needlessly and were playing like we were 2 up or that we'd score while playing with very little intensity. Thought the application and game management was shit and naive.

Didn't really see any of those as chances tbh. The one where they hit the post was barely even a half chance. The chances we missed were much clearer imo. 

They came to counter but literally registered zero counter attacks - thought we managed that really well for a change so was happy with that. We still have the most clean sheets at home in the league this season and this was more like one of those performances but was ruined by Dummett being fucking brainless which is obviously hard to ignore. 

Clearly we tired in the last 20 minutes and started giving the ball away a bit more, but in terms of that we're back to the scenario where there's literally nothing we can do about that thanks to injuries. 

I dunno, I'm angry because of the nature we conceded but in terms of performance it was more like what I'd hope for than we've managed recently. 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You’ve made your point quite well there but it falls flat when you consider it wasn’t Didier Drogba closing in but Ashley Young with the ball nowhere near. It was a brainless thing to do.

Well yes quite, but that's my entire argument though :lol: Dummett has never been the smartest player, and he acted like he would have if he was playing in the Championship 8 years ago.

8 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'm clearly on an Island that don't think it's a foul, so fine. But in 99.9% of Dummetts football playing life, that's a bit of clever play and no one even thinks twice about it. That is how he has been brought up to defend, and he hasn't had the playing minutes to re-program himself. 

VAR was introduced in the PL in the 19-20 season. Dummett played quite a lot that season and the following. It’s not like he’s been in a coma for 5 years.

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

Didn't really see any of those as chances tbh. The one where they hit the post was barely even a half chance. The chances we missed were much clearer imo. 

They came to counter but literally registered zero counter attacks - thought we managed that really well for a change so was happy with that. We still have the most clean sheets at home in the league this season and this was more like one of those performances but was ruined by Dummett being fucking brainless which is obviously hard to ignore. 

Clearly we tired in the last 20 minutes and started giving the ball away a bit more, but in terms of that we're back to the scenario where there's literally nothing we can do about that thanks to injuries. 

I dunno, I'm angry because of the nature we conceded but in terms of performance it was more like what I'd hope for than we've managed recently. 

Eh, the one they hit the post with was clearly a half chance.

Edited by El Prontonise

5 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I'm gutted for him he didn't get his goal. Imagine scoring at home while wearing the armband would've meant the world to him. Deserved it too after that performance 

such a good goal as well ffs. Worked perfectly. Good thing we had VAR though to spot another very clear and obvious error

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Doubt we'll ever get anywhere to agreeing if you think their chances weren't chances like. Most Premier League teams punish you in those moments.

4 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Looked shattered tbf

Hmm didn't really get that sense. Schar was pinging through balls to him minutes before he was taken off but either way, he had far more composure and control witj the ball than Longstaff had today, so Id have kept him on. 

The Burn goal and subsequent VAR check followed by their triple sub is what did it. Anderson and Longstaff gassed. Hall hurt. Willock rusty. Not ideal to have Dummett come on obviously.

I did for a moment think we may move Murphy to RB. Krafth to LB and pop on Willock as a winger. Hindsight I guess.

Can we contact the Guinness book of world records and apply for most injuries in top flight football? 

When an out of sorts Longstaff is undroppable and Dummet is your subs bench you know the squad is fucked. 

Absolutely infuriating. Pissing points away again against absolute shite and they didn’t even have to earn them. Fuck me. Would be that snide cheating little shit Young n all. 

Only positive is West Ham matched our result but still, it’s the slimmest of slim pickings.

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Isak’s shoulder has chalked off like 3-4 goals in 2 seasons by the way. 

Maybe he should have it surgically removed. Be worth 6 points a season.