Newcastle United 1-1 Everton (02/04/24) | Reaction: pg 40

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I have an 1.0xG of hating the useless xG stat. :lol: 

I mean, if xG says we should have scored significantly more goals than Everton then it’s absolutely right. I haven’t looked but I assume it does. 

Did they say that the pen was definitely onside, or the fact it was close enough to be GBH that it didn't matter anyway? On NBC the mentioned VAR might look for offside but it never seemed to happen.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Disappointing as fuck, that. Should've killed the game off in the first 65 minutes. Were incredibly passive last 25 minutes and let them back into it. Huge opportunity missed.

I think you’ve got to allow for the fact we are trying to expend as little energy as possible as unlike the opposition we’ve not much in the way of legs to bring on. 

Game plan was fine but wasted some good chances. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, if xG says we should have scored significantly more goals than Everton then it’s absolutely right. I haven’t looked but I assume it does. 

I feel like we've all seen enough football to know that should have doesn't count.

Just now, cubaricho said:

I feel like we've all seen enough football to know that should have doesn't count.

Yeah of course, but the scoreline tells you that. If you want to know more about what happened in the game, other stats could be looked at. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, I'm jealous of anyone not that arsed about that. That was one of my most hated matches this season, up there with Liverpool at home and Chelsea away.

I’m massively arsed, absolutely raging still. However almost all my rage is at Dummett

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

up there with Liverpool at home and Chelsea away.

Not going to change your mind or anything, but for me its not close at all. Liverpool game is almost all time fuck up, and Chelsea game was so poor.

I just fucking hate Everton. Everything about that shitty club. Circling the bowl for long enough now and doing with the financial tools/spending (prior to the season before last) that most clubs in world football would envy.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Liverpool at home

oof fuck no, nothing this season is anywhere near that. Was on my birthday too :lol:. Closest I've come to throwing something through the tv.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Not going to change your mind or anything, but for me its not close at all. Liverpool game is almost all time fuck up, and Chelsea game was so poor.

Liverpool hurt because we played well and should have won. Chelsea we were shit and had an off night, tonight it was like we chose to not really go for it against a shit side, that's what gets me, I can't accept that like.

Frustrating result but nothing wrong with that performance in the circumstances. One daft mistake from someone that's only on the bench because there's so many injuries nevermind playing has cost us a deserved and brave win. The team we had out is barely better than theirs and much more fatigued and disjointed and unable to replenish.

We drew, deserved to win, with eleven players plus one out, no idea what more we could do outside of some serious hindsight.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Liverpool hurt because we played well and should have won. 

We did enough to win against Everton also. Pool we took Tonali off and stopped playing for the entire second half with 11 vs 10. We had no interest to play anything that second half. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

We did enough to win against Everton also. Pool we took Tonali off and stopped playing for the entire second half with 11 vs 10. We had no interest to play anything that second half. 

I just fundamentally disagree tbh, no one is going to convince me we did enough to win tonight.

Daylight robbery that Everton got anything from that, proper Sunday league hack jobs, "get it in the mixer", didn't have a sniff on goal while Dummett gift wraps the draw for them.

Having said that, but for s couple of great Pickford saves and some poor play around their box we should have been home and dry in the first half and the penalty is inconsequential.

Super frustrating and it feels like we just don't have the bodies to push for Europe and when we do now I feel it will be too late.

Also, absolutely despise these Scouse blues.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just fundamentally disagree tbh, no one is going to convince me we did enough to win tonight.

XG 2.54 vs 1.42. 18 shots vs 10. 

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, I'm jealous of anyone not that arsed about that. That was one of my most hated matches this season, up there with Liverpool at home and Chelsea away.

I know what you mean but I only have that rage when it's an injustice, when we've been robbed or cheated out of a result. Like a bent ref or a bullshit offside or whatever. Tonight wasn't about any injustice at all, we simply didn't finish them off when we had the chances too and we ended up paying the price and throwing 2 points away because of some shit defending. We got exactly what we deserved, we had several chance and took only 1, they had a few chances and took a golden one handed on a plate

Should have finished them off. A late goal was always, always coming. 

Too many players who just aren't really good enough. I've well and truly had enough of Longstaff. The drop off from Trippier to Krafth is something else. Murphy another who's average - so wasteful. I can see why Hall hasn't played either - looks physically a bit off it, though understandably, he'll not get an easier shift than against a geriatric Ashley Young though. Penalty was poor but you can be Dubravka isn't getting to it. 6 or 7 of our injured players would have started tonight.

Bruno carries us too. Must be having thoughts about fucking off watching some plank mascot come off the bench and chuck the game away.

Thought Dan Burn was excellent. Pickford kept them in it and was easily their best player. 

2 minutes ago, midds said:

I know what you mean but I only have that rage when it's an injustice, when we've been robbed or cheated out of a result. Like a bent ref or a bullshit offside or whatever. Tonight wasn't about any injustice at all, we simply didn't finish them off when we had the chances too and we ended up paying the price and throwing 2 points away because of some shit defending. We got exactly what we deserved, we had several chance and took only 1, they had a few chances and took a golden one handed on a plate

I feel the past came to haunt us today in the form of Dummett.  I am frustrated by the mountain of injuries that meant he had to step onto the pitch and gift Everton some undeserved points.

8 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

XG 2.54 vs 1.42. 18 shots vs 10. 

With all due respect that's not really an answer to the problem I have with the performance. In fact it only highlights it more that we underperformed.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The drop off from Trippier to Krafth is something else.

Well spotted that the best performing RB in Europe to some random third choice player signed under Ashley is a big drop off :lol:

Agggghhhhhh, just got in and feel absolutely fucked off by that. 

Everton are such a shit team, yet they've got 4 points off us this season. 

We just never looked like we were going to make the game comfortable. 

No blame to anyone, just irritating when we are playing with half our squad unavailable, with that in mind I always thought this game was coming to soon 

I think under the circumstances, the crazy amount of injuries, the short turnaround between games etc… that performance was pretty good. With some better finishing we should have been 2 or 3 up before Dummett’s brain fart. We pretty much controlled the game in it’s entirety, barring about 5 mins in the second half, and our attacking play was pretty excellent at times, albeit with poor finishing.

Find it really hard to be angry with anyone tonight, other than Dummett of course.

Don’t beat ourselves up. Everton were very lucky. Isak cleared off the line, Burn by the smallest of margins offside, for me Barnes should have lifted it over Pickford instead he hits it straight at him. For me if Trippier and Gordy are playing we smash them out of sight but we’ve been blessed with the shit stick re injuries.