Newcastle United 5-1 Sheffield United (27/04/24) | Reaction: pg 33

Yorkie

I thought the atmosphere was rank today mind. 

The start to the game didn't help mind, but it never really picked up from there.

50 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Aye I was in the leazes and thought it was a strange atmosphere today, pretty quiet throughout the game. Credit to the Sheff Utd fans, were loud from start to end

Never heard the Shef Utd fans once apart from the goal celebration. Shows how odd the acoustics are at SJP.

58 minutes ago, huss9 said:

brereton diaz looked good today

That Arblaster looked decent in spells as well, haven't seen or heard much of him this season, but that 1st 20 had me thinking he'd been a decent back up to Bruno. 

Apparently Swindon Town hold the record for most goals conceded in a Premiership season with 100. That was a 42 game season though. Sheff Utd only need to concede 4 more goals for a record breaking season.

Edited by Skeletor

Just now, Skeletor said:

Apparently Swindon Town hold the record for most goals conceded in a Premiership season with 100. Sheff Utd only need to concede 4 more goals for a record breaking season.

That was a 42 (?) game season too!

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Apparently Swindon Town hold the record for most goals conceded in a Premiership season with 100. That was a 42 game season though. Sheff Utd only need to concede 4 more goals for a record breaking season.

I remember that season well, any mistake as a goal keeper and you’d be labelled Frazier Digby 😂

The difference a few world class players can make is astounding. Had countless examples this season (and been on the wrong end of this equation for many years prior).

Isak, Bruno and Gordon* have really carried the team through this season with their quality. They've had inconsistent support around them from players of varying quality - but their presence on the field has been determinative of outcomes in our favour so often.

Depth etc is important (as we've seen this year!) but targeting high end starters can mask so much. [emoji38] Think Liverpool are a good example of this too to some extent IMO, but they also have more depth.

* - Gordon is probably "bloody good" rather than world class, but he's a few tiers above the majority of players in the league.

Would prefer a few top class players rather than lots of good players/projects this summer. The ceiling is so much higher.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Never heard the Shef Utd fans once apart from the goal celebration. Shows how odd the acoustics are at SJP.

Same boat, my lad was in L7 in the block next to them and when I met him after said they were one of the best/loudest away followings all season - think I only heard them celebrate the goal then about 5 minutes from the end from the Gallowgate 

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

brereton diaz looked good today

Done well in the Prem. Has stood out for them.

At Blackburn I also recall seeing him down the right and the left at times.

I wonder if he's someone we'd consider.

Great win in the end don’t post here often as quite chilled although hated Mike Ashley.  Down near the station after the game and some pleasantly rotund bald fella barges into me.  Then kicks off like he’s Germany and Poland have said hello.  Kicks off and asks me for a fight.  The guys like 50 or just looks old in his pink stone island jacket.  Well hard with his 8 mates around him.  Very annoyed that folk like this represent our club absolute tool 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Was right below them and they were decent Championship fodder. Props to the big girl and her, I assume, daughter, giving it gestures for the full 90. 

Chip Butty is a top song too. 

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

It's been repeated like 3 times haha. Sheffield United has already broken the 38 game one. To be fair this season probably has longer games than any other 38 game season, and therefore there has been a lot of goals.

Edited by Erikse