Group C: 1. England, 2. Denmark, 3. Slovenia (Q), 4. Serbia

Big River

The good news is that this is a relatively young squad still. If Livramento and Hall continue as they are they'll be options in 2026. It's not like this is last chance saloon for this squad - there'll be more chances. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

There's been 38 World Cup & European Championships, the 5 best have been:

WC1966

Euro2020

WC1990

WC2018

Euro96

Two of those under Southgate. We've had easier draws, better teams who've not achieved what Southgate has. 

Yeah I appreciate he has been without doubt our second most successful manager. But he’s been judged positively based on what came before and not necessarily who he has available. Better teams I agree have done worse, but their managers got all sorts of stick in the media that Southgate hasn’t. 

Controversially I also think the ‘changed the culture’ argument is a bit exaggerated. No doubt he’s had positive impacts and I think that started while he was u-21 manager too, but he’s also been fortunate to have a lot of exciting young players come through that have helped give the fans more excitement. We had a nice bloke in charge before and I don’t remember hearing about how unpleasant the squad was as recent as 2016. 

7 minutes ago, Cf said:

The good news is that this is a relatively young squad still. If Livramento and Hall continue as they are they'll be options in 2026. It's not like this is last chance saloon for this squad - there'll be more chances. 

Definitely, the only concern I have is around who replaces Kane, but there's time for someone to come through. Watkins, Saka and Gordon all running in behind could be good in a different system 

42 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I mean it was already clear, but thanks. I just don’t understand the love for Southgate, but I guess I’m one of the reasons why we’re struggling in this tournament given I’ve criticised him previously. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz yeah.

We’re going to ignore all of the “as soon as England face a top side they lose” stats over the last 6 years and pretend they’re only true now. Ok.

Not sure if I’m still hung over, but I have just been thinking that playing against a better side might actually improve us a bit. More space to exploit, less reliance on seeming inability to break down teams who are set up to nullify threat. 

The "big" names seem to be gripped with fear, Foden had a couple of decent mazy runs but no end product, Saka tried to make things happen but ultimately couldn't get through and dropped off, Bellingham was poor, sloppy passing and heavy touches and he needs to stop those cheeky backheels that go straight to the opposition.

But what they all had in common was their instinct to pass backwards rather than take a risk, playing hot potato because they didn't want to be the one caught on the ball or give it away. Palmer and Gordon made a huge difference, fast, direct and fearless and it almost paid off, had they been given more time I have no doubt we'd have won that. 

If Southgate starts with the same 11 but switches in Mainoo for TAA/Gallagher then I sincerely hope we are knocked out.

47 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

I mean you don't have to love him. There's a pretty big gulf between that and "it's not okay to say the man should be strung up for failings at football management" which is the part I feel most strongly about.

The argument has been had a million times, but I always find it funny that Germany is ignored from the list of "top sides" because they weren't in a good spot. That's always felt so pick-and-choosey to suit the narrative that we never beat the big teams.

Imo being at home was a major advantage. 

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

If ever there was a game where he should "experiment" with starting Palmer, Gordon, Mainoo, Wharton then last night was the night

I'll be amazed if there's any change to the front 4 in the next knockout game

Exactly, I genuinely expected Gordon and Palmer to be getting 20+ minutes a game in the group stages on the basis they were among the best in their positions last season and bring attributes that aren't present in the starting 11.

Southgate says he's trying to achieve a balance between including these young players and protecting them. Protecting them from what? These lads play at a higher level than vs Serbia, Denmark and Slovenia every single week. 

51 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

1 win in 5 against Germany. 

For the record (I’m well aware it doesn’t matter) I don’t want him strung up. I want him to hand his notice in as soon as we’re out of the tournament, like he should have done before the World Cup. I want to forget about him and move on to the next chapter. Hopefully he’ll find a nice coaching job somewhere and have a very happy life.

should have resigned after italy final.

9 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Exactly, I genuinely expected Gordon and Palmer to be getting 20+ minutes a game in the group stages on the basis they were among the best in their positions last season and bring attributes that aren't present in the starting 11.

Southgate says he's trying to achieve a balance between including these young players and protecting them. Protecting them from what? These lads play at a higher level than vs Serbia, Denmark and Slovenia every single week. 

good job he doesnt manage spain or turkey.

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

I'm with KI and Yorkie on this. It's deeply frustrating to see it ending this way partially because it will rewrite the history of Southgate's tenure overall into something that just isn't true imo. It's been a period of relative success, the best in most of our lifetimes, despite the complaints that we only beat the teams we're expected to beat and have just gotten lucky (as if that's something that past England teams have done on the regular). The frustration that's always been there from some has turned into pure hate with the seeming vindication and it's grim to see, neither Southgate or the players deserve that.

I really hope he sees the difference that Palmer and Gordon made when they came on and switches it up in the knockouts. We're on the "right" side of the draw, it's looking unlikely but if we click then it's on.

There's no doubt that Southgate has made a huge difference to the team, when you compare to the underperformance of Sven or Ancelloti.

Team selections have always been controversial no matter the manager, because everyone has their own opinions even before you start looking at things through your own club's lens.

The valid criticisms for me have always been the safety first approach and the lack of tactical nouse when up against better teams or better managers.

Anyway, it's been done to death now. I wouldn't want him as my club's manager and I suspect that holds true regardless of club allegiance. But, he's got one last shot at proving his detractors wrong.

1 hour ago, El Prontonise said:

He seriously is stuck up his own hype most of the time.  The way is acts on when he's tackled etc is quite pathetic.

I think it would’ve been good for him to be asked to play deeper and do a job for the team. 

I think Kane is the most dangerous player in the England team, followed by Foden maybe. Building it around Bellingham is a mistake because it creates too many compromises elsewhere. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

20 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Pickford 

Walker Guehi Stones Saka

Palmer Bellingham Rice Gordon

Foden

Kane

shit or bust! 

I would ask Sala to play LB against the average teams, thanks to the bizarre choice of LBs in the squad. 

Maybe a long shot, but could the performances be in protest to King Charles being head of the monarchy?

There's a lot of youngsters in the squad who've been brought up learning Fortday dances from tockTik, when back in my day we lived off rations and danced to the sound of another failed Stuka dive bomb.

Throw in the woke poisoning the nations mind into believing that the bitch Diana didn't deserve to end up in two different postcodes and it's clear the players aren't playing for our King.