England v Slovakia - 5pm

Spain v Georgia - 8pm

Monday 1 July

France v Belgium - 5pm

Portugal v Slovenia - 8pm

Tuesday 2 July

Romania v Netherlands - 5pm

Austria v Turkey - 8pm

Gonna be some banging matchups on the left side of the draw. Our side looks dull as hell. Plenty of opportunity I suppose for Southgate to try and stumble upon a formula. But I'd fancy, Italy or Austria to knock us out.

53 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We'll get knocked out by Italy in the next round, can't see us beating anyone good. 

Yep same for me. Unconvincing win v Slovakia then lose to a street wise Italy 

Cant see past the big boys for winners 

12 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We'll get knocked out by Italy in the next round, can't see us beating anyone good. 

Are Italy good? I think Switzerland have a good chance against them.

But I agree, we don't beat traditionally good sides in KO rounds. We've never done it away from England iirc. Not even a 3rd place play-off. Better chance of beating the Swiss because of the name alone.

Brazil have a more recent thing about not beating a good European side in KO rounds since 2002 final iirc. People make a big deal of that and that has only been  20 years and they've only had 4-5 bites at the cherry. We have the opportunity every 2 years and have failed... forever?

13 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Don’t know if I’m deluding myself, but choosing to see some of our difficulties in the group being to do with the style of play from the other teams in the group. So few goals in the 12 games, must be a factor. Also, unless he is colossally stupid/stubborn/brave (take your pick), Southgate must now respond to the clamour for some width on the left and tweak the formation. 

Both England and Italy have lucked out really being on this side of the draw given the respective performances. England have probably been marginally better but we had a very weak group IMO. 

Switzerland obviously a harder last 16 tie than Georgia but still feel like Spain have been essentially punished for winning the group.

Edited by ponsaelius

Winning knockout games is not something Switzerland do though, even though they've beaten big sides in qualifying and matched big teams in group stages.

I suppose they did finally get that off their backs against France - but they followed it up with that horror show against Portugal in 2022 to return to type. So while on form it seems a 50/50 game I'd still always favour the more historically larger side over them.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, ponsaelius said:

Winning knockout games is not something Switzerland do though, even though they've beaten big sides in qualifying and matched big teams in group stages.

I suppose they did finally get that off their backs against France - but they followed it up with that horror show against Portugal in 2022 to return to type. So while on form it seems a 50/50 game I'd still always favour the more fancied side over them.

image.thumb.png.029ce2f3953e1d8e39f06b97cced9fab.png

get a load of this guy

I used to watch every Swiss tournament game because my ex was from there. I feel like I got quite a good view into their overall national football psyche as a result. It's basically a watered down version of England with less hype. Last 16 is their equivalent of our quarter final losses, and with the same repeated penalty trauma.

Like I say maybe the France game was a turning point.

Feel like Italy have been at least as poor as England, with less to show for it in terms of results, albeit against better opposition generally.

The game against Spain was the most one-sided of the tournament bar the Germany-Scotland debacle.

Italy have been poor and im not too sure they have much better to come, England beat them fairly comfortably twice in qualifying so theoretically nothing to feat although hard to get excited about it all so far.  The combined population of England 4 opponents so far is only about 20 million if that.

34 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I suppose they did finally get that off their backs against France - but they followed it up with that horror show against Portugal in 2022 to return to type. So while on form it seems a 50/50 game I'd still always favour the more historically larger side over them.

Yeh we've never done what Switzerland did against France.

Seems like he's okay but how ridiculous would it have been for Gordon to miss out on Sundays game (especially as Foden is possibly unavailable) because he fell off his bike.

Spain have easily been the best team so far, I think France will improve as well and beat Belgium comfortably. One of them two I fancy to make the final . Everyone is raving about Austria but France beat them and looked comfortable the whole game .

Edited by Geogaddi

https://m.skybet.com/football/england-specials/england-starting-xi-vs-slovakia-sun-30th-jun/33823556

6/4 on Pickford, Walker, Stones, Guehi, Trippier, Mainoo, Rice, Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Kane to start Sunday seems very big price to me, would've expected odds on. All the talk is Mainoo will start next game and Foden's going to play, don't see how Shaw can start even if he's fit and it's Southgate so it seems highly unlikely he'll do anything out of the ordinary. Media all seem to know the team 48 hours in advance and Alex Crook has said this is the team Sunday (He wasn't 100% certain when he said it fyi). Only slight concern is the bookies know all of this as well so seems odd... 

Please gamble responsibly :)

Edited by mondonewc

Said it in the other thread: my gut reaction is just not to watch which makes me a bit depressed, tbh.

I feel like I’ve been doomscrolling continuously over the last 24hrs :lol:. Is anything not shite? Anything at all?