Semi Finals: France 1-2 Spain, England 2-1 Netherlands

Disco

Been a pretty bad tournament but at least there's no obvious winner from the remaining teams, you could see any of these four winning it. Spain have obviously been the pick of the bunch but you wouldn't put it past France to shit-fest their way past them.  

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Been a pretty bad tournament but at least there's no obvious winner from the remaining teams, you could see any of these four winning it. Spain have obviously been the pick of the bunch but you wouldn't put it past France to shit-fest their way past them.  

The gap between the good and bad teams has been narrower which has lent to more competitive tension, and some of the non-flagship names of international football are playing increasingly attracrice football, but overall it's tough to disagree we haven't seen enough quality from those most capable of producing it.

Be a bit of a shame if anyone but Spain won it IMO.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

You really think it’s been bad? I’ve really enjoyed it. Lots of great games, arguably the biggest issue is that the top handful of teams haven’t played that well.

I think there's been a handful of good games and a lot of shite, probably pretty standard for a Euros tbh

Football in general just isn't as entertaining nowadays across the board. It's become so tactical and analysed to death with sports science etc that so many games are just like chess.

The lower down you go the less you see it and it results in better games, but at the top level the great games are fee and far between. It's no surprise some of the best games of this tournament have involved some of the lesser fancied nations/players.

It's the same with the Prem, the big games are pretty much always shite, it's only really Liverpool/Man City against each other that produces top quality. I can count on one hand the amount of great games in the Prem last season and I probably wouldn't get to 5.

There's too much football, it's far too tactical and there's far too much of the shit scared to lose so play for a draw attitude. It's just getting more and more boring in general.

21 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Football in general just isn't as entertaining nowadays across the board. It's become so tactical and analysed to death with sports science etc that so many games are just like chess.

The lower down you go the less you see it and it results in better games, but at the top level the great games are fee and far between. It's no surprise some of the best games of this tournament have involved some of the lesser fancied nations/players.

It's the same with the Prem, the big games are pretty much always shite, it's only really Liverpool/Man City against each other that produces top quality. I can count on one hand the amount of great games in the Prem last season and I probably wouldn't get to 5.

There's too much football, it's far too tactical and there's far too much of the shit scared to lose so play for a draw attitude. It's just getting more and more boring in general.

Yeah was going to add something about the general nature of modern football.

Mentioned this a month or so back but I happened upon a Chelsea-Man U retro game on Sky and it was incredibly exciting. Don’t remember the year, think it was Rooney and Welbeck on one side, Mata and Ivanovic on the other if that helps. I was shocked at how much faster and more enjoyable it was, and couldn’t necessarily put my finger on why.

1 hour ago, NUFCDoog said:

7 hours ago, NUFCDoog said:

Howe disagrees

18 hours ago, buzz said:

Pep gives his endorsement as he simultaneously crushes individualism out of his squad. Communist pig.

So they want to ban Paqueta for life for match fixing because he bet against himself.  Yet that fucker really only got a 6 month ban?

I understand it's different governing bodies but fuck me, that's mental he's still allowed to work in football at all.

"Amazing situation" that a referee who has been on the UEFA elite list for a decade is refereeing an England game.

Yeah proper wild.

Eng vs France final would be one of the most undeserved finals of any competition in history, and not judt football. 

11 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Pep gives his endorsement as he simultaneously crushes individualism out of his squad. Communist pig.

The first I became aware of that was Jose's Chelsea, but even that team allowed for one 'magician'. 

7 hours ago, Dokko said:

Eng vs France final would be one of the most undeserved finals of any competition in history, and not judt football. 

Haven't seen a lot of deserving finalists so far either, mind

In 2014, Die Zeit nevertheless speculated what might happen in the future.

“What would happen, for example, if the DFB ruling fell into the hands of the English tabloids after Zwayer had awarded a penalty against England in a World Cup semi-final?” the newspaper asked.

Uncanny.

The one positive to look at this from is that although we think we might have poor decisions against us because we see Germany as our biggest football rivals, they don't really care all that much about us.  It's our opponents tomorrow they see as their biggest football rivals.

"In 2005, Zwayer was involved in the match fixing scandal which centered around Bundesliga referee Robert Hoyzer, who took bribes to fix several matches which he officiated. Zwayer assisted him in a match and accepted a bribe of 300 euros to avoid critical scenes for Wuppertaler SV. In January 2005, he and three other high-ranking referees informed the DFB about Hoyzer's match fixing. He was subsequently banned from refereeing for 6 months, a suspension that was kept secret for several years until the German newspaper Die Zeit published a secret file from the German FA."

Wiki

Good on Shearer for calling Ferdinand and Richards out for over-reacting about England's improvement in the last game. Thought they were watching a different game.