Marc Guehi

gdm

7 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

What’s next then? Miles apart in valuations? Or progressing and medical 

The press will spin it as the former, there'll be a lot of hand wringing and moaning about psr, then it'll either happen or it wont

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Apart from a domestic trophy.

Oof! Harsh and kind of self-injurious. Can’t only be me who counts, and throughly enjoyed, the ‘Championship’ trophies? @Rod’s been around for four of them. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Oof! Harsh and kind of self-injurious. Can’t only be me who counts, and throughly enjoyed, the ‘Championship’ trophies? @Rod’s been around for four of them. 

Enjoyed obviously, but you can’t be counting them.

Just now, SteV said:

Enjoyed obviously, but you can’t be counting them.

Think you’ll find I am. Felt like winning a trophy, was winning a trophy, got a trophy. Other sentences involving trophy are available and all would (unfortunately) imply they were domestic ones at that. 

Creased by this from his wiki, describing him like a golden retriever :lol: 

Those close to him describe him as extremely humble, low maintenance.

8 minutes ago, vexred said:

It's not really random or mental. When we were struggling with PSR and spoke to Liverpool, they offered us him. 

https://www.footballfancast.com/joe-gomez-could-quit-liverpool-after-hearing-he-was-included-in-swap-deal/

Just because they offered him doesn’t mean we were at all interested. I’m sure we have many centre halves on a list without going for player we were offered in a bid to get one of our best players. Also don’t think there’s anything to suggest Liverpool want Guehi either 

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Just because they offered him doesn’t mean we were at all interested. I’m sure we have many centre halves on a list without going for player we were offered in a bid to get one of our best players. Also don’t think there’s anything to suggest Liverpool want Guehi either 

"According to the MailOnline, Liverpool are joined by Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in the race to sign Marc Guehi this summer. The report states that the three Premier League clubs have been 'closely monitoring' the defender's situation."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marc-guehi-liverpool-transfer-latest-29667957?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

:sleepy2:

This would be an excellent signing, the cost is basically double Thiaw though which makes it odd we're going for it with our alleged budget.

The Gordon to Liverpool stuff won't go away and it worries me a little. What if we're now willing to spend more on a centre back because we're going to have a much bigger budget? Hypothetically, if Gordon leaves you've got Barnes with Osula (plus Joelinton/Willock) as back up and then you can focus all attention on the right sided player. 

Gah.. So torn on this.. I like Guehi, he's been very reliable for several years now playing for a 'weaker' team. But I'd prefer a more dominant aerial presence from a CB in the PL. Especially for 60 mil and more.

Nikola Milenkovic went to Forest for 12 mil.. 1.95m, bit slow but athletic, leader, experienced in big games, mad serbian mentality, supermodel girlfriend..  much better option than Guehi for 60+ but ah well..

I keep coming back and fourth after every hour or so to see a title change, but I know the chances are will be he signs for Chelsea, etc and Eddie was never in for him. We had that happen a couple of times last season with Diaby and Szoboszlai, so I’m trying not to get too excited that something like this would come our way..

…..but would be nice :( 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

8 minutes ago, vexred said:

"According to the MailOnline, Liverpool are joined by Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in the race to sign Marc Guehi this summer. The report states that the three Premier League clubs have been 'closely monitoring' the defender's situation."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marc-guehi-liverpool-transfer-latest-29667957?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

:sleepy2:

I’ll bet you any money Gomez doesn’t end up here ffs 

14 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

What if we're now willing to spend more on a centre back because we're going to have a much bigger budget?

Like my dude @Kanji said earlier in this thread, of course we’re going to have a bigger budget because the people in charge of that are doing their jobs. 

I think this would be a very good signing because he's a very good player.

I'm not sure the perfect signing actually exists and on that basis I don't often hold signings to that high a standard.

Given we paid 45m for AG who was "shite", it doesn't seem unreasonable that we would spend 50+ on a current England starter who's possibly got 8+ years to give us.

Call me an absolute crazy daisy if you like though.

Edited by STM

44 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Well unless I imagined it, we did manage just that two years ago, so I wouldn’t say it was impossible

Splitting hairs but you qualify for the CL with good PL players, you need CL standard players to thrive in the competition after you have qualified. 

9 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Splitting hairs but you qualify for the CL with good PL players, you need CL standard players to thrive in the competition after you have qualified. 

You’re preaching to the choir here, I’m not the one claiming otherwise

9 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

We’ve opened negations for weah, Maldini, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Rooney and various others at various times. I’ll be convinced when he’s on the longbenton physio couch for six months and not a second sooner. 

He’s not on the same planet as any of these players though 

Mamadashvili 

Livra Guehi Botman Hall

Bruno Tonali Joelinton

Gonzalez.          Gordon

Isak

Do some damage that XI. We'd only be about £80m away from it if Guehi signs. Incredible really.

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

Not at all, and how the hell you came to that conclusion puzzles me.

The point you made was that we needed CL players to play in the CL.
As I said we got there without and bar injury’s and dodgy decisions gods knows how far we would have gone in the competition.

Any way would be playing CL in the 26 season, 2 windows to upgrade on RW. Yeah an upgrade would be very nice but is it currently essential for the season ahead ?  Currently I don’t think so.  Considering long term injury’s we need to strengthen other places first,

This season ahead is Top 4 and a cup final, are they good enough for that job ? Well yeah and again they have already done it. Last season they both ran them selves into the ground for us due to injury’s and were very rarely available together. Remember the Fatigue last season 🤪🤪

As for buying CL quality players well 

A, We cannot afford them and to be honest are not big enough to draw them. Yet.

B, We have a world class coaching network, that thanks to the scouting network has already found and coached 3 players into CL quality players and already looks like adding another 2 players to that list.

Point B is  our only viable model currently, until the PSR shackles are off anyway.

I think we are at different stages here, I'm not expecting us to buy a CL player right now, but I want us to buy one with CL potential. I get what you are saying, but would I be happy with Miggy and Murphy going into this campaign. No, not really.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Think you’ll find I am. Felt like winning a trophy, was winning a trophy, got a trophy. Other sentences involving trophy are available and all would (unfortunately) imply they were domestic ones at that. 

I’ve only seen three of them, and I wouldn’t count them either :)