Marc Guehi

gdm

I don't really know what TCD has done so wrong on this, I disagree with him a bit, I think he is a good buy will improve us and unfortunately a lot of money is what a 24 year old england international centre back costs. I think he's perfectly valid to point out two areas where he is not quite as good as should be, I think if that is true there is still an overwhelming case for it, I'd love us to buy a complete Virgil Van Dyke or John Stones type but those are at this point very rare and even more expensive, our best bet is spend on a known quantity which will improve us now and then buy cheap younger prospects whom could either become that player or whose sales will fund buying that player. 

Edited by Tiresias

3 minutes ago, duo said:

£65m for an established England International, who is only 24 is fair market imo.  He could be our CB for a decade.  I can't see any negatives from this deal.

Someone made a good point on TTR that while Guehi is obviously class, he was a bit concerned that the Euros might have inflated his value. Was he looking as fantastic playing against PL sides or were there one or two question marks, hence none of the cartel clubs attempting to sign him?

7 minutes ago, duo said:

£65m for an established England International, who is only 24 is fair market imo.  He could be our CB for a decade.  I can't see any negatives from this deal.

100% agree.

Once someone is already performing at a high level in the league, at a younger age, and with room to grow, the fee is always higher.

Van Dijk, Stones, Maguire, Rio etc.

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Someone made a good point on TTR that while Guehi is obviously class, he was a bit concerned that the Euros might have inflated his value. Was he looking as fantastic playing against PL sides or were there one or two question marks, hence none of the cartel clubs attempting to sign him?

The Euros just capped an excellent season in the PL - he was quality last season.  Maybe an £5 - £10mil has been added on after Euros  - who knows but even at £65 mil he's worth it imo.   Everton value Branthwaite at £70+ and he is not even in the England squad.  Honestly sometimes I think there is no pleasing people.  I would be buzzing if we sign him as personally I think CB is a higher priority than RW - we never had trouble scoring last season but our defensive record was poor.

36 minutes ago, madras said:

It's using the broadest stats though to try and come over scientific. Aerials won ? Does that mean  clean headers away ? Ones where he's won the header but it dropped straight to a forward ? Is an aerial duel a draw if the defender is 2nd favourite but does enough stop the forward getting a clean header ? Andy Carrolls stats at Liverpool for winning headers outside the box must've been great but he had no idea where they were going and mostly benefited the defending team. 

Passing accuracy etc over what distance, what phase of play, teams with different styles of play will produce CBs for example who will produce differing stats even if the CBs had exactly the same skill sets.

Add to this the pro analysts ete test will consist of hundreds of gour of footage from more angles than we have access to.

The one stat I do like, particularly for defenders (and I've forgot the name given to it) is that of the amount of opposition players taken out the game by a pass. I think in time Lewis Hall (who I'm still wary of defensivly) will absolutely kill that stat.

You are right that the stats lack detail. But equally - they lack detail for every other player. His heading stats are similar to Schar. Schar’s defensive heading has long been one of his weaknesses.  We can talk about all the statistical metrics known and unknown - but we all know that.  

There’s nuance but like.. Andy Carroll was/is good in the air. In a team built to his strengths - you would fancy him to target Guehi for example. 

You can compare any passing stats of Guehi to his partner Anderson or our lads.  The penetration of his passes isn’t particularly impressive. 

And again - this is based off what I’ve seen primarily. Likewise, Hall passing stats are impressive… because Hall is an impressive passer. Highish volume, highish accuracy, high progression. You can see boshes passes through the lines. 

I think the bigger point is that our recruitment team may be prioritising other stats, potential, attributes on and off field.  

10 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I’d prefer a price point 50-55m with 10-15m achievable bonuses

I think this is the type of deal that we will end up doing, if we are to get him.

Msg from a Palace season ticket holder friend of mine, for what it’s worth:

“Gutted you are getting Guehi. He is quality.”

They’re more upset with this than Olise going it seems 

1 minute ago, PRL said:

Msg from a Palace season ticket holder friend of mine, for what it’s worth:

“Gutted you are getting Guehi. He is quality.”

They’re more upset with this than Olise going it seems 

Not at all surprised.

He's quality, and he seems a really class act too.

They'll be fine though. Have seen some of them in pre season and they look good.

That new manager is great, and a nice pot of money will allow them to continue to recruit well and support him further.

Edited by KaKa

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You are right that the stats lack detail. But equally - they lack detail for every other player. His heading stats are similar to Schar. Schar’s defensive heading has long been one of his weaknesses.  We can talk about all the statistical metrics known and unknown - but we all know that.  

There’s nuance but like.. Andy Carroll was/is good in the air. In a team built to his strengths - you would fancy him to target Guehi for example. 

You can compare any passing stats of Guehi to his partner Anderson or our lads.  The penetration of his passes isn’t particularly impressive. 

And again - this is based off what I’ve seen primarily. Likewise, Hall passing stats are impressive… because Hall is an impressive passer. Highish volume, highish accuracy, high progression. You can see boshes passes through the lines. 

I think the bigger point is that our recruitment team may be prioritising other stats, potential, attributes on and off field.  

Agreed 👍 

Presumably the club has a limit on what they think he’s worth and if CP insist on more than that I would suppose we switch to one of the bigger names, i.e. Silva or Diomande if either Sporting or Benefica will entertain us at that price point.

I would think the alleged £65M would get either of those clubs to the negotiating table.

Silva certainly damaged his reputation at the Euros. He was generally awful. Would’ve pissed off the Benefica boardroom no end. 

There’s certain premiums involved which make it a huge fee. From our point of view the one that makes it worth it is the high probability of success. Considering we can’t afford to miss with our signings like the ESL

clubs can, we probably think it’s worth overpaying for a sure thing. A player like Thiaw might have a high ceiling and look better value, but it could go either way really.

38 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I don't really know what TCD has done so wrong on this, I disagree with him a bit, I think he is a good buy will improve us and unfortunately a lot of money is what a 24 year old england international centre back costs. I think he's perfectly valid to point out two areas where he is not quite as good as should be, I think if that is true there is still an overwhelming case for it, I'd love us to buy a complete Virgil Van Dyke or John Stones type but those are at this point very rare and even more expensive, our best bet is spend on a known quantity which will improve us now and then buy cheap younger prospects whom could either become that player or whose sales will fund buying that player. 

Guehi is 24 now, VVD was 24 when he left Celtic for Southampton. 

Guehi is a top player, a top 4 player. He should start in all Premier League backlines except maybe Arsenal and City. If we want to be in the top four consistently, we need players like him. Sixty million is a fair price for a top-four player.

I think the price tag is fair enough. If we end up paying something between £60M-£70M for a proven 24yr old CB who could realistically be first choice for the next 6+years then I'm all for that. 

Also considering his age there's no reason you can't give him the longest contract possible to spread that money. 

Man U just paid £60m for a highly rated prospect. In this day and age I don’t think the rumoured price is too unwarranted for an international CB. Arguably our best player at the euros too. 

24 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Guehi is 24 now, VVD was 24 when he left Celtic for Southampton. 

Guehi is a top player, a top 4 player. He should start in all Premier League backlines except maybe Arsenal and City. If we want to be in the top four consistently, we need players like him. Sixty million is a fair price for a top-four player.

Good to mention that. He’s a level below a fully fit Konate for me. It’s awhile ago now but he was £35mish from memory.  

A lot of the fee is English and euros premium. Most of all proven in the PL. 

If we have the funds to also strengthen RW then great. 

Didn’t think Ben White was worth the  money but he’s proven a top player (at RB).  

Edited by The College Dropout

This is what happens when you have a well-run club. You get a sniff of the deal, then jack shit else until it's done. The waiting game turns everyone into lunatics with 1000 word posts on the potential of Marc Guehi's progressive passing growth. 

(I hope we sign him, he seems v good at football)