Marc Guehi

gdm

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That Steve Parish quote and video is really off putting.

Would actually like us to go and get someone else now.

They can keep him and try and get him to sign a new contract or get far less for him next summer.

"Superstar money" for goodness sake. Leave him to it man.

I somewhat agree, not the most professional approach spouting off to Sky, but he's protecting his asset and what he values the player at. We'd want the same for our star players.

He does look an absolute gobshite, though. Like a character from Peaky Blinders. :lol: 

Pretty much what I'd want us to say if someone bid for one of a players and we didn't need to sell. They can value him at whatever they want.

They'll give him a new contract to make him happy and limit their exposure next year.

Move the fuck on

Edited by Hhtoon

Thing with that Parish interview is that he was clearly at some sort of event when asked the question, wasn’t as if he held a deliberate press conference.  And what’s he really meant to say? Go no comment ? What sort of message would that be to Palace fans, his customers.  It was PR, and pretty good PR at that for his club.  If we’re still at the table it’s probably close, need to just wait and see.  Maybe payment structures, upfront payments etc etc. 

Just watched that video and yeah I’m inclined to agree with moving on now sadly. 70m (if that’s what they want) is too much for me. We’ve made our 3 bids, they don’t think it’s enough, move on to other targets. 

Palace are well within their rights to bleed anyone for every penny they can for one of their prized assets. If they want to deny themselves an incredible financial package in favour of keeping their player, that's entirely their prerogative. 

Seem incredibly tough to deal with and I get the vibe that they don't particularly want to deal with us specifically after the Freedman stuff. 

Just now, Andy84 said:

Thing with that Parish interview is that he was clearly at some sort of event when asked the question, wasn’t as if he held a deliberate press conference.  And what’s he really meant to say? Go no comment ? What sort of message would that be to Palace fans, his customers.  It was PR, and pretty good PR at that for his club.  If we’re still at the table it’s probably close, need to just wait and see.  Maybe payment structures, upfront payments etc etc. 

Fair points. 

15 minutes ago, Nine said:

Who is a lot of these players?

5 goaaaal keepers.

Foooouuur left backs, some of the Longstaffs, two of the Mileys, one Miggy Almilron, and an Emil Henry Kristoffereeeer Krafth!

Edited by BottledDog

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Have we not already walked away and that's the reason why he's mouthing off now.

Yep, if what he says is true, its unlikely to be news to our lot and he's simply trying to save face.

fwiw, we did get the first salvo off in the moral/PR battle of who jilted who by saying we were also "looking at other targets".

I get the feeling it's a case of one upmanship with Parish and Palace. Their fans already think the move isn't a significant step up and so they want to have our pants down.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Palace are well within their rights to bleed anyone for every penny they can for one of their prized assets. If they want to deny themselves an incredible financial package in favour of keeping their player, that's entirely their prerogative. 

Seem incredibly tough to deal with and I get the vibe that they don't particularly want to deal with us specifically after the Freedman stuff. 

I think if we’ve gone in with a genuinely fair offer (in our view) with add ons that increase the amount and they’ve still said you can feel you’ve gone as far as you can. I agree Palace can rightly try and bleed us for every penny and they not going to just hand him over but there’s a tipping point isn’t there. They might price him out of a move and end up losing money. Someone else might come in and give them 70m who knows. I guess the point is if you feel you’ve offered a fair amount for the player and haven’t taken the piss and they still say no you eventually have to walk away.

Return in June with a £25m bid!

It’s a shame as he’s a CL ready player but as others have said you can’t force Palace to sell. They cashed in on Olise already so it’s hard to negotiate with a side already sitting on big money.

Difficult decision now whether to risk going into season a CB short or whether another top level CB can be sourced. Important not to dilute quality  

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wonder where we go from here, just over 2 weeks until the window closes and the squad is arguably weaker than it was at the end of the season.

Well the deal isn’t exactly dead yet, but it does seem unlikely now. I still think we’ll sign a CB and RW by the end of the window as well have other targets. Still 2.5 weeks but clock is ticking for sure.

2 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Return in June with a £25m bid!

It’s a shame as he’s a CL ready player but as others have said you can’t force Palace to sell. They cashed in on Olise already so it’s hard to negotiate with a side already sitting on big money.

Difficult decision now whether to risk going into season a CB short or whether another top level CB can be sourced. Important not to dilute quality  

While I’m desperate for us to sign a RW, we’re royally fucked if we get an injury to Schar.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Wonder where we go from here, just over 2 weeks until the window closes and the squad is arguably weaker than it was at the end of the season.

IMO the squad is much stronger than the end of the season.

Strengthened in defence, striker and GK, which were key gaps.

IMO this is the best squad going into a season in 20+ years. From last year Hall and Tino are now integrated. Gordon is better. Tonali and Willock due to return.

(Clearly I also hope they add at least one CL level talent to the first team but the squad is getting better)

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

While I’m desperate for us to sign a RW, we’re royally fucked if we get an injury to Schar.

You worry too much. We'll be somewhat inconvenienced at worst.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Got a lot to do.

53 minutes ago, andycap said:

If we did bring Guehi in for say 65 million. we'd not make that back I can tell you in the future if we'd looked to sell. 

That doesn’t really matter though, say he signed a 5 year deal, £13 million a year, after 4 years only £13 million left, if we sell him for 40 it’s still 27 profit at that point for FFP purposes

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I agree it would be a massive risk, Liverpool had that year without CBs and it was a disaster for them. But it might be ran. 

Fuck him, if he's not prepared to put a transfer request in then he's not allowed to play in our rocket powered floating £5 billion super stadium that's about to get announced, not to mention the chance to wear Ginolas away top.

Yeah, my thoughts haven’t changed through everything I’ve been told. Parish’s quotes are just some public brinkmanship to try to eek out some more money from us or another club. Still expecting it to happen soon, and still expecting us to make a big push this week to make it happen before Friday.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Yeah, my thoughts haven’t changed through everything I’ve been told. Parish’s quotes are just some public brinkmanship to try to eke out some more money from us or another club. Still expecting it to happen soon, and still expecting us to make a big push this week to make it happen before Friday.

Or to make it look like he drove a hard negotiation to the Palace fans.

Edited by Skeletor