Marc Guehi

gdm

Just now, The Prophet said:

Potentially more competition mind.

Probably. Tbh I would go shop abroad, maybe go for Lacroix or something. What we can’t do is spend the rest of the summer playing Parish’s game.

Just now, Kimbo said:

Probably. Tbh I would go shop abroad, maybe go for Lacroix or something. What we can’t do is spend the rest of the summer playing Parish’s game.

Aye. I think the Anderson situation means this won't drag on too much longer. Hopefully enough cash left over to secure a winger too.

5 minutes ago, Zero said:

They are asking 70m pounds + add ons

As I said this is fuckin insane

But that's the price of going after an England intranational with their prime years ahead of them off the back of a successful tournament. It's always going to be silly money in that circumstance.

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I think it's becoming harder and harder to establish a useful benchmark.

Between inflation and PSR, transfer fees are all over the place, and the scope of 'value' is so much wider now. When £20-30million was the very upper limit to transfer fees, it was easy to differentiate a £3m player from an £8m player or a £10m player from a £15m player. But these days - when the baseline is always in the tens of millions - a difference of five is almost impossible to interpret.

Previous generations to me would probably say the same about the front end of my example, because transfer fees have consistently inflated over the decades. But I do wonder if it's ever been quite this difficult to define talent by a transfer fee. 

If we can afford to pay £70m for him and the bosses consider it to be worth it, then my instinct is to back that call; however, I'd be concerned about us being held to ransom. 

Without getting too PSR-y, basically the value of a pound coin is meaning different things to different clubs more than ever before. Which is making player pricing much more erratic e.g. Gordon was worth eight figures less on June 30th than he was on July 1st. We knew that and Liverpool knew that. It's not just that one quality of player is worth 30% less than another quality of player, it's that individual players are going up and down, occasionally even day to day.

Meanwhile there's now more sense in us selling Almiron for £10m (I'm not saying it's a slam dunk case) even if that's seen as cheap, because we're a cash rich, PSR poor club and that sale immediately unlocks a £35m transfer kitty for a deal we may have lined up. But that would be less true for a cash poor club, who would need to value him more highly because they need to fund other signings somehow.

PSR, combined with transfer windows, is incentivising many clubs into periodically behaving like Leeds United in crisis mode, before the reset button gets hit and normality resumes. The only real alternative is to have a ridiculously higher income than your peers, or not get as close to maxing out your PSR budget as possible because you don't mind giving your competitors who do an advantage.

So it's near enough impossible to talk in traditional ways about how much a player is worth in a steady sense, because one month their club might be in liquidation mode, and the next they might be rich. It's more like buying fresh fish from the docks - lots of moving parts, and what's a good deal now can be a very bad deal a few hours later...

Oh look at that, I became too PSR-y.

Edited by 80

3rd bid was rejected on Tuesday wasn't it? Sky are canny pathetic these days.

Either way, this is just boring now. Roll on Saturday when the actual football is back. What will be will be in the transfer market. Can't wait until its shut!

4 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But that's the price of going after an England intranational with their prime years ahead of them off the back of a successful tournament. It's always going to be silly money in that circumstance.

Which puts into question the validity of signing someone at peak value, inflated by coming off a decent Euros, with an English premium, and not having the deal done before first game of the season.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

£70m. Get fuckin real man 😂

I imagine we’ll be very frustrated with how this is going, we’re now two days from the start of the league. We’ve had three bids rejected which are out in the open and they’ve obviously leaked it at their side. We have a player who won’t agitate for the move. I’m not big on hypothetical fantasy land but there aren’t that many great signs here other than if we just want to go big and endanger ourselves in another window 

18 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Jumanji? 😂 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

The last England international central defender in their prime to move after successful tournament cost £80m.

and everyone would agree that Man U overpaid, why would we do the same thing?

Aye, there’s no question it’s a ridiculous price to pay, but if Eddie thinks he’ll be a good fit and he’s your first choice, everything will be done to bring him in. Otherwise your plan-B will hopefully be brought in very quickly. 

Still a couple weeks to go, but if anything happens with him it’ll probably be by tomorrow or moving on to the next target with all the negotiating that’s took place so far. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

I still feel like it’ll get done, a lot of posturing from both sides and a lot of noise from the media but we are still on the table so we’ll be confident we can do it.

Not ideal waiting til next season for a lower price when there could be alot more competition for him.

Edited by Nine

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Yep... as I've said he's been openly talking to his friends about it (his friends including some of our squad).

Agent AG10?

12 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Yep... as I've said he's been openly talking to his friends about it (his friends including some of our squad).

Likely part of the reason we are pushing so much to do the deal.

Be really unfortunate if it ends up meaning we can't get a right winger in though.

Guess we'll see.

If that last offer was £60m and they've turned it down it's time to move on. Just daft at this point and not really worth what they're asking, as much as I think he's a good player