Marc Guehi

gdm

1 minute ago, RS said:

I’m thinking Longstaff could do a job in that position and we save a lot of money. 

Joelinton played CB for 10 minutes in one of the pre season games, maybe with should try that if this offer is turned down as well :lol:

1 minute ago, duo said:

It's like he's ourvonly target for the position and we don't have a back up 

Howe alluded to something like this in a recent interview. That at elite level the pool of players you look at is pretty small.

13 minutes ago, sempuki said:

He'll be "unaware" but "hopeful" as in the usual script.

"You're asking the wrong person"

4 minutes ago, duo said:

It's like he's ourvonly target for the position and we don't have a back up 

Think it's more the fact he's our clear first choice CB and we're prepared to go the extra to do it. We're just not used to this. Ashley would have moved on to a St-Etienne centre-back for £5m at this point. 

I wonder how many bids usually get put in during a transfer process, like in general. But aren’t often leaked/made public.  

Like, I can’t imagine most signings (between any club) only have 1 bid before it’s accepted. Could it be “normal” for transfers to have 3/4/5 bids before it gets accepted? But not made public like this one seems to be. 

Surprised we've gone that high - if I was in charge I'd have walked away. Crucially though, the people who actually are in charge know what they're doing :lol: so if they think he's worth that and we can afford it then I'm all in. He really impressed me at the Euros, would give us top-class cover at CB and between him, Botman, Hall and Tino basically sort our backline for the next 5+ years. Real statement of ambition too.

Only thing questionable for me is this mail journalist leaking is clearly doing so for the benefit of Palace.  Hope it’s not all a game for Palace to show their fans how big and hard they are by keeping him 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Leaks all from Palace, they are desperate for a bidding war. 

Can't see any team needing or wanting a £65m+ CB at present apart from us. That still won't stop Chelsea mind.

I know Man U are renowned for wasting money and paying massively over-inflated fees. But reading the article, mentioning Wan Bissaka at £50m was the outgoing transfer record for Palace. Wow.

Makes £60m’ish 5 years later for Guehi seem like a good deal. 

Just now, Fak said:

Can't see any team needing or wanting a £65m+ CB at present apart from us. That still won't stop Chelsea mind.

They have to try and maximise the sale mind, this is the last chance and literally peak value for them. 

I think Guehi is very good mind, but I do question this transfer, it’s a bit like the Barnes one for me.

Seems like such a lot of money but it's probably because we're just not used to being that club. 

He's only 24 and his stock is already pretty high. The thought of him playing alongside Botman, potentially for years, is pretty delicious. I'm sure we have other targets but there's clearly a mindset within the club that this can get done and that he'll make a huge difference to the side. I'm all for it. I think he'll be class.

1 minute ago, Andy84 said:

Only thing questionable for me is this mail journalist leaking is clearly doing so for the benefit of Palace.  Hope it’s not all a game for Palace to show their fans how big and hard they are by keeping him 

I liked the idea - can't remember if i read it here or elsewhere - that Parish's appearances last week were to both project that kind of strength for the fans and to request just a little more from us to get it done.

Now that we have,  he can do the old "well we just can't turn down that kind of money" routine.

Feels like we're buying him on eBay. Those in the know at the club must have been quietly fizzing when Maguire went down injured and he got called upon as first choice at the Euros.