Marc Guehi

gdm

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

There is no way Villa do as well this season. All the traditional teams will be stronger and they'll struggle with the extra CL games.

I really thought they'd kick on in the summer, obviously FFP has strangled them too. 

1 hour ago, gdm said:

How do you know ?

Just looks like we have resigned ourselves to the fact we won't be able to shift miggy so have stuck the funds towards Guehi instead. 

Loan with an option will be our hope for the right winger position now. 

Still not fully understanding this transfer. I get the need for a CB, but a RW is much bigger need. I dont think its opportunistic either was we are paying a club record fee for someone if Botman was fit wouldnt start for us imo.

4 minutes ago, TRC said:

Still not fully understanding this transfer. I get the need for a CB, but a RW is much bigger need. I dont think its opportunistic either was we are paying a club record fee for someone if Botman was fit wouldnt start for us imo.

My opinion on this is that they need someone in this season due to the Lascelles and Botman injuries, long term we also need a Schar replacement.  By buying Guehi we are doing both and not taking up a squad place with someone who may be surplus to requirements in 1 or 2 seasons time

Edited by simonsays

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

Reading way or should that be watching too much into what Howe said in the presser was happy with how our free flowing scoring was but must do better in defence. Also said aim was try and get miggy back to his self from 2 years ago. To me that seems they happy we score enough but conceded too much so if we only going for 1 more player I can see why the club think it's a defender. 

Most of our CBs are 30+ nearing the end of their contracts, with two out with long term injuries. I’d say a new CB is vital. Imagine a Schar injury. 

2 minutes ago, simonsays said:

My opinion on this is that they need someone in this season due to the Lascelles and Botman injuries, long term we also need a Schar replacement.  By buying Guehi we are doing both and not taking up a squad place with someone who may be surplus to requirements in 1 or 2 seasons time

I understand that, but we are buying a guy at his absolute peak price, a year early. We could buy a 22 year old CB and get him up to speed over the course of the season playing back up to Fabian. Then Kelly and Burn play LCB until Botman is back.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That's some 4D chess there, mind.  Not sure Palace are that Machiavellian - why would a player need proof of a bid to decide what the release clause in their contract should be?

The noises from the player's camp suggests he wants the move, we're onto our fourth bid, and Palace have basically stated their asking price so that we should try and meet it.  

To see that they are not locking themselves into staying at palace with an unrealistic amount.  

I agree what I said is a bit of a stretch.  Something just feels off to me.

13 minutes ago, TRC said:

I understand that, but we are buying a guy at his absolute peak price, a year early. We could buy a 22 year old CB and get him up to speed over the course of the season playing back up to Fabian. Then Kelly and Burn play LCB until Botman is back.

Would that 22-year old be good enough to be a regular for a team pushing top 4 this season?

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would that 22-year old be good enough to be a regular for a team pushing top 4 this season?

As a back up to Schar? I would hope so. Are Murphy and Miggy good enough for a team pushing top 4? Hall, Kelly, Schar, Trippier is a solid defence. Our right wing is an abomination.

Just now, TRC said:

As a back up to Schar? I would hope so. Are Murphy and Miggy good enough for a team pushing top 4? Hall, Kelly, Schar, Trippier is a solid defence. Our right wing is an abomination.

And yet we scored nearly 100 goals last season

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Exactly. We can’t just tread water and make do until Botman is back. He might not be the player he was, or it might take him a while to get back to full fitness. I think it’s pretty important we qualify for Europe this season to keep hold of the likes of Gordon/Isak/Bruno.

Just now, JJ7 said:

Exactly. We can’t just tread water and make do until Botman is back. He might not be the player he was, or it might take him a while to get back to full fitness. I think it’s pretty important we qualify for Europe this season to keep hold of the likes of Gordon/Isak/Bruno.

Yeah, don't quite understand people including Botman when looking at potential line ups. Think he should be discounted from half the season, and even then there's no guarantees.

Its not just their appetite for risk, its the mentality of a player if he's on the brink,of a move he won't want to get injured 

29 minutes ago, TRC said:

Surely the plan is for him to succeed Schar.