Marc Guehi

gdm

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

£70 million?!

No chance surely.

By then we'll be on our way to getting both Botman and Lascelles back.

If he's fortunate maybe £50 million at best, and only if we think we can get in ahead of other teams by doing a deal then.

I think there's a chance everyone waits till the summer and he'll start seeing £35 million bids as he will be on a free In a year.

How much do clubs add to the price of players in january, though? Like 30%? Wouldn't be surprised if Parish thinks that the mid season factor evens out the price drop from the 1,5 year contract. Judging by his dealings this summer, I'm not convinced that he will be desperate to sell in january.

I'm not necessarily saying £70m, but around that. That also includes prices like £65m.

Edited by Erikse

20 minutes ago, Erikse said:

How much do clubs add to the price of players in january, though? Like 30%? Wouldn't be surprised if Parish thinks that the mid season factor evens out the price drop from the 1,5 year contract. Judging by his dealings this summer, I'm not convinced that he will be desperate to sell in january.

I'm not necessarily saying £70m, but around that. That also includes prices like £65m.

I'd be surprised.

The way he's talking he's already seemingly trying to generate interest.

If he sticks to that sort of money, no one will go for it I don't think. 

I think Parish cares too much about his image to lower it by more than 5m or so. It would be humiliating to accept a lot less than he was asking for just a few months ago. If Guehi doesn’t sign a new contract then Parish has cornered himself.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I think Parish cares too much about his image to lower it by more than 5m or so. It would be humiliating to accept a lot less than he was asking for just a few months ago. If Guehi doesn’t sign a new contract then Parish has cornered himself.

Going to be more humiliating next summer as the price only drops further and further from here.

It was legit crazy the offers he turned down from us this summer.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Going to be more humiliating next summer as the price only drops further and further from here.

It was legit crazy the offers he turned down from us this summer.

Your looking at it the wrong way Kaka, what Parish cares about is being in the premier league; if they keep Guehi and don’t get relegated he’s won for another year regardless of how much less they get for him. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Your looking at it the wrong way Kaka, what Parish cares about is being in the premier league; if they keep Guehi and don’t get relegated he’s won for another year regardless of how much less they get for him. 

Really? Surely they need to bring in money too? Obviously if selling Guehi means relegation, it's a bad decision. But you never actually know that. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Really? Surely they need to bring in money too? Obviously if selling Guehi means relegation, it's a bad decision. But you never actually know that. 

Palace don't seem to be a club that needs to sell especially with the fees they got this summer.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

They're not really at threat of going down are they? I don't see that at all.

The manager and team is far above that in my opinion.

They also managed to get in Chalobah and Lacroix who are plenty good enough. Chalobah is a good, solid Prem experienced defender. Lacroix is of a decent calibre, and is well known by the manager who has worked with him previously.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yea but he doesn’t need to risk it because the downside is much more than what we are offering. If he doesn’t get relegated and sells for 50m In the summer Parish has played a blinder. 

Just now, El Prontonise said:

Palace don't seem to be a club that needs to sell especially with the fees they got this summer.

If you have a player that isn't looking to sign an extension and is therefore a depreciating asset, for most clubs, you want to get good value for them.

Turning down £70 million and possibly then losing him on a free down the line is just really bad business.

If Guehi doesn’t sign a contract extension and is still at Palace in the summer he won’t be going for anything near £50m in my opinion. Will be in the £30m range. We’ve already seen how cagey teams are about spending money, it’s potentially only going to get worse unless regulations change. Chelsea may be fucked by then, Man City may be in trouble too with their legal case. Save for a KSA big bid then Guehi could hold at around £50m in January but it’ll be a lot less in the summer 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

If Guehi doesn’t sign a contract extension and is still at Palace in the summer he won’t be going for anything near £50m in my opinion. Will be in the £30m range. We’ve already seen how cagey teams are about spending money, it’s potentially only going to get worse unless regulations change. Chelsea may be fucked by then, Man City may be in trouble too with their legal case. Save for a KSA big bid then Guehi could hold at around £50m in January but it’ll be a lot less in the summer 

Agree completely.

It should be added that he has had a few shaky games already this season and even the best professional in the world could lose their motivation after being strung along by their owner like this. It’s clear that he was told that the move was going to happen I think and now Parish is doing damage management. An injury or lack of form and the value takes another hit. Parish might have helped save his ‘alpha’ imagine but he’s cost Palace massively 

14 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Our likely chance to get him was for a daft fee.

No chance one of the Sky Six doesn’t offer him a shitload more money next summer when he’ll be available for a vastly reduced fee

Which is why I hope we don't go back there in January unless we KNOW Guehi wants to come here. The cartel clubs will be waiting for his price to drop, then they'll wait until Parish comes to them cap in hand requesting they give him an audience for around £45-50m. Our chance of getting him was always to pay a premium, and while it might still be possible in January, it would be dumb to make the same mistakes again.

6 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Funniest thing is Palace fans would prefer getting 30m from Liverpool over 70m from us

I do enjoy how they're happy to cuck themselves for the sly 6 now that we're the big bad wolf. Silly cunts 

21 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

What little extra do you think we refused to pay ?

We can't compete with Chelsea on wages, recent trophy wins or being based where he already lives. It's a madhouse there, but the odds were stacked against us as soon as they came in.

If more money and staying local is his preference over regular starts and a more stable environment then that's his prerogative. But I think it also means he's not a player with an attitude that fits with the current NUFC ethos.

As a simple fan, I don't know specifics, but several sites suggest Lloyd Kelly is on more money than Tosin. I'd imagine it would be similar. Targett is supposedly on big money too. I suspect had someone warned "in two months time, we'll be scrambling to pay the same wages and 70M on top to get a CB", more effort would have been made to get Tosin over the line.

Some of the "seven year contract" thing at Chelsea is about giving players lower wages, so the assumption about them should not be that they are still paying everyone the famously high wages of Sterling, Chilwell etc. It doesn't sound like their recent signings are getting anything like as much. Obviously NUFC aren't in London, but I would say we are now more stable than Chelsea on the field and have performed better than them for two seasons. A good run under Poch got them to finish above us last season, but Poch did it playing his way and not the official Chelsea way as dictated by their DoFs. The big picture for several seasons now at Chelsea is that better players than Tosin have seen their careers stall, if not crash and burn. By contrast, most players we sign have seen their reputations greatly enhanced. If potential signings need to be told this, we should be making it as clear as possible.

Ah yes. The old ‘Lloyd Kelly is on £150k a week’ line, again :lol: 

Don’t the salary sites, that seem like total guesswork. Also have Targett going from something like £30k a week at Villa to £100k a week with us? Why would we do that?!

The same way as I can’t imagine we’ve tripled or quadrupled Kelly’s wages to come here.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Don’t the salary sites, that seem like total guesswork. Also have Targett going from something like £30k a week at Villa to £100k a week with us? Why would we do that?!

The same way as I can’t imagine we’ve tripled or quadrupled Kelly’s wages to come here.  

I can't find it, but Kieran Maguire did a piece on how they estimate stuff and in a nutshell it's nonsense.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

The Targett stuff is hilarious. Anyone with a modicum of understanding of football finances knows essentially a Steady Eddy back up left isn’t going to be on 100k ffs when as you say he was on 30k at Villa.

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Can ya paste the relevant bit? I don’t want to give DM clicks 

Conspiracy theories, four-hour long talks and a £75million price tag - the Marc Guehi transfer saga was an exhausting one.

In the eyes of many, Crystal Palaceemerged victorious from the arduous affair as they successfully resisted Newcastle's advances for a player handed the Eagles captaincy over the summer.

In the fullness of time, however, Palace's refusal to sanction Guehi's exit may yet bite them in the backside. Financially, at least.

Having kept the 23-year-old, Palace are now expected to begin the dance of persuading Guehi into signing a new contract. 

Any offer would include a big pay rise for a player who emerged as one of England's stars of Euro 2024.

It would also very likely include a release clause of between £60m-£70m.

But all the early indications are that Guehi would have reservations about signing an extension. Palace have certainly been offered no assurances that he is currently willing to do so.

Guehi is in a strong position. With under two years left on his deal, the prospect of securing a money-spinning Bosman transfer is on the horizon. Why would he give that up?

At a cut price fee, many of the Premier League's top clubs will view Guehi as a golden opportunity.

Manchester City, for example, have already checked on how Guehi's future may develop.

And ultimately, the centre-back's desire to play Champions League football will emerge as a pivotal factor in how Guehi evaluates his future. So, too, will playing for a team in which he is a regular.

If the option of joining a club that presents him with the chance of fulfilling those ambitions arises, then he may find it too difficult to turn down, no matter how attractive and lucrative a free transfer may seem.

The price at which Palace would be willing to sell Guehi will also be key. A deal of around £50million would be optimum for Palace next summer.

But with the possibility of signing Guehi for nothing now a valid negotiating tactic, who's to say clubs would be willing to pay that much?

Indeed, the sporting director of one side interested in Guehi has indicated that only a fee of £30million or below would tempt them.

Keeping Guehi, though, is viewed as the club's main triumph.

By the end, there was an general sense at Palace that Newcastle never really gave them a decision to make, although certain figures at St James' Park believe the south Londoners never intended to sell.

The second and final official bid tabled by Newcastle for the England international was worth £55million plus a further £5m in add-ons.

The Magpies, however, did communicate, on three occasions, their intention to make improved offers - the highest landing at £65million plus £5million.

But it is understood those verbal offers never transitioned into formal bids, primarily because Palace never signalled that any of them would be accepted.

A deal worth £70million was still short, albeit marginally, of Crystal Palace's valuation, which was set at £65m + £10m.

There were indications in the final week of the transfer window that the two clubs had found a middle ground.

But then Palace centre back Chadi Riad damaged his medial collateral ligament in a Carabao Cup tie against Norwich.

The injury, coupled with Palace's decision to sell Guehi's long-term central defensive partner Joachim Andersen to Fulham for £30million, signalled the beginning of the end for Newcastle's pursuit.

Palace didn't budge on their price. Newcastle didn't fold.

Palace's valuation may have seemed excessive. But at the very heart of the club's sky-high valuation was the player's refusal to push for a move.

Advertisement

If Guehi had made clear he wanted to leave then chances are that he would be a Newcastle player today for a fee less than £75million.

Indeed, Mail Sport has learned that Newcastle sporting director Paul Mitchell, who was leading the swoop, traveled down to London to meet chairman Parish in the middle of August with a view to closing the transfer for a player Eddie Howe had expressed was his one and only central defensive target.

The meeting lasted around four hours. By all accounts, Parish left the meeting more determined than ever to resist Newcastle's advances.

Having heard that Howe had put all their eggs in Guehi's basket, Parish used the information as a leverage to stick to his high price.

Palace were also aware of an emerging political narrative behind the scenes at Newcastle.

Howe wanted to see if Mitchell could deliver what he wanted. Mitchell, working on his first big transfer since his appointment, wanted to prove he could.

That Newcastle chief executive Darren Eales entered into negotiations during the final days of the window offered further intrigue into a political picture on Tyneside that will continue to simmer.

Of course, none of that concerned Palace or Parish, who, after that face-to-face meeting with Mitchell, gave Newcastle the magic number.

Advertisement

That number was never matched. Mitchell and Eales have their reasons as to why Newcastle didn't cough up. Howe has his views.

Palace, though, have Guehi.