Marc Guehi

gdm

It did reinforce the point that if Guehi had pushed for the move the deal would have been done. He really wasn't that fussed, probably happy to come if the deal was agreed, equally happy to sit on his contract running down, knowing he'll get a bigger payoff the closer it gets to expiring.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It did reinforce the point that if Guehi had pushed for the move the deal would have been done. He really wasn't that fussed, probably happy to come if the deal was agreed, equally happy to sit on his contract running down, knowing he'll get a bigger payoff the closer it gets to expiring.

Aye, suggests to me he wont be coming here at all now. 

40 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think that was our only chance of getting him - he'll have bigger clubs after him in the next two windows - for me, nailed on as VVD replacement at Liverpool with him a free agent in the summer.

1 minute ago, Tross said:

Close the thread. Boring.

I agree let's just shut this down now. It will always be a reminder of this less than ideal transfer window.

Hopefully we're lining up alternatives for January or next Summer. If Guehi wants a Sky Six move, let him be.

From that Mail article:

Indeed, the sporting director of one side interested in Guehi has indicated that only a fee of £30million or below would tempt them.

Just to give an idea of how much his price is plummeting, with him now approaching that final year.

31 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Doesn't mean he didn't want to come though, just was basically in a win-win situation where if he didn't get a move now he'll get a slightly better one (for him personally) later.

It means he wasn't that set on it either. It was said a few times in the last couple of weeks in the transfer window that he needed to push a bit more, but he never did. That's not a criticism, you can perfectly understand why he was open to everything but committed to nothing. For me though, I always thought that meant he would end up at Liverpool or another cartel club once the price starts dropping. Look elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

It means he wasn't that set on it either. It was said a few times in the last couple of weeks in the transfer window that he needed to push a bit more, but he never did. That's not a criticism, you can perfectly understand why he was open to everything but committed to nothing. For me though, I always thought that meant he would end up at Liverpool or another cartel club once the price starts dropping. Look elsewhere.

Yeah he’s nailed on for Liverpool 

Whether he comes here or not, his value will never come close to what they could have got this window ever again. Guehi will likely have a good choice of clubs provided he doesn’t get injured but Palace are the main losers here. We’re losers for chasing him so long. Guehi, not really a loser or a winner really

Gordon’s price will plummet if we don’t get him to sign a new contract 

We have left ourselves in a ridiculously poor position in terms of contracts this year and next 

we could be left with only Lloyd Kelly and Botman as centre backs 

Dan Burn

Krafth

Lascelles

Schar 

all have 10 months left 

Same with 3 of our keepers !

Could be left with Pope (who only has 22 month left) and Greek keeper !

Huge decisions in the next few months in terms of contracts 

Edited by JonBez comesock

4 minutes ago, Zero said:

It does look like we have been used as leverage by the Guehi camp

How so? He isn't in a hurry to sign a new deal and didn't move to another club. By all accounts he was interested in the move.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

How so? He isn't in a hurry to sign a new deal and didn't move to another club. By all accounts he was interested in the move.

I would say he is interested in drumming up interest and hence he is able to ask for much higher wages from all parties as he is now a “70m rated” star

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

I would say he is interested in drumming up interest and hence he is able to ask for much higher wages from all parties as he is now a “70m rated” star

He'd have been able to demand higher wages regardless. His stock grew considerably during the Euros.

For me, one insinuation in that article which might just be how I read it first time, wasn't about Guehi's own desire to come here or not, it was about our negotiating tactics. Essentially somehow showing Palace our cards and allowing them to then demand what they wanted.

Having heard that Howe had put all their eggs in Guehi's basket, Parish used the information as a leverage to stick to his high price.

Of course, you can read that several different ways and I doubt it was like that.

Perhaps he just guessed right if it was the case it was Guehi or nothing, perhaps he had information from somewhere other than the negotiating team, or perhaps it was nothing of the sort like it was reported.

In general, I am leaning towards the whole article being a lot of nonsense.

2 hours ago, Zero said:

No he isn't. If he was worth £70m someone would have paid that for him.

If anything this window cemented the fact that he isn't.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

From that Mail article:

Indeed, the sporting director of one side interested in Guehi has indicated that only a fee of £30million or below would tempt them.

Just to give an idea of how much his price is plummeting, with him now approaching that final year.

Absolutely bonkers we almost coughed up 70m