Marc Guehi

gdm

Just now, Pilko said:

Of those you've listed, Schar is getting on and we should be signing his long term replacement about now. Burn is 32 as well. Lascelles will be out for half of this season and is into his final year. Krafth is also into his final year and will presumably play the Paul Dummett emergency cover role this year.

There's only Botman and Kelly who are potential "long term" players for us in the CB position. The movement you allude to probably comes at the end of the season where you'd imagine we definitely shed Lascelles, probably Krafth and then you have Burn and Schar also out of contract. It's a good move to be bringing in some strength at CB and next year you'd imagine we add another young one, unless the academy can come up trumps for us.

All valid - but the impatient fan in me just wants to see us with a great winger on the right with the squad we already have, the dividends it could reap this season would pay itself back if we get top 4 or a, *easy now*, cup.

I was equally bemused when we got Gordon instead of a LB when we did, but I was proven wrong. I hope I'm proven wrong again and again and the club keep playing chess while I'm playing checkers. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Chelsea don't need anymore CBs.

Arsenal don't need anymore CBs.

Man City don't need anymore CBs.

Man United might do depending how serious that injury to their new kid is but cant see them spending again in that position.

Liverpool maybe, but Guehi wouldn't get in ahead of Van Dijk and Konate so he'd be foolish to go there.

Spurs maybe, but again they have two CBs in Van De Ven and Romero who will expect to be first choice and then Dragusin as back up. 

Villa would the one who could do with a CB if Diego Carlos leaves as it seems he may well do and I'd not be shocked if they were to go in for Guehi if they have the funds to do so.

You'd imagine that puts us, right now, in pole position for him but things change quick and all it takes is Van Dijk, Maguire or one of the City CBs to get a big move to Saudi and then he'd be offered UCL football and a bigger wage no doubt. That would make it much harder.

Chelsea always need everything.

Would really like him here but not sure he's a £60m+ player. Hopefully won't leave a debilitating hole in the budget if we do pay that much.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Would really like him here but not sure he's a £60m player. Hopefully won't leave a debilitating hole in the budget if we do pay that much.

He's as good as Botman, plus English tax, and now a regular international. That's a good price all things considering and it's only due to him not signing a deal.

Just now, Chris L said:

wonder if this is actually just been leaked out to the media to try and make milan speed up an agreement for thiaw? 

Unlikely as Ornstein is usually on the money but you never know 

IF this happens we probably will have to overpay, yes. Having said that it’s also a statement that you get for the money when it comes to reputation imo. Especially when thinking “going forward”. It would show that we mean business. Both for present players and top quality targets, purples or top draw youngsters. 

Jesus Christ this is an out of the blue development. Perfect signing really. 

Just now, Ikon said:

IF this happens we probably will have to overpay, yes. Having said that it’s also a statement that you get for the money when it comes to reputation imo. Especially when thinking “going forward”. It would show that we mean business. Both for present players and top quality targets, purples or top draw youngsters. 

He’s also exactly the type of defender we need

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

He’s also exactly the type of defender we need

Very much agree! Buy it nice or buy it twice. 

13 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

This would be insane. Wow.

So the Tosin (free) + expensive RW plan might now be expensive Guehi + keeping Almiron?

Why are people so quick to just throw out random guesswork. We’ll bring in a winger I’ve no doubt about it 

Any chance this is a smokescreen to show Milan we're not putting all of eggs in the Thiaw basket - trying to twist their arm over the fee?

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Who do you prefer to him as an example?

He’s not available obviously but I think Konsa is a better player and a similar one. Not the right age but Anderson too.  He was poor last season apparently but I was impressed with Aguerd in his first season. I don’t pay a lot of attention to other teams CBs in the main - Funnily enough outside of Palace and Real.  

Might be controversial but I prefer Joe Gomez too.  I like my central defenders big, strong and tall. Seeing your CB easily outjumped is so painful.  I used to think Schar was weak defensively in the air but he’s a bit of a monster now.  So who knows. 

I would prefer someone not well established in the PL tbh.  I’d never heard of Bruno before he joined so there’s lots of quality out there that I don’t know about.  

I do like Guehi. Talented player. But if he costs £40m+… I feel like our super SD could find us better value for money