Newcastle United 1-0 Southampton (17/08/24)

Disco

19 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Look at Gordon there. Just gave up. Bit weird to see him like that.

About time someone told him to calm down and stop sprinting constantly. Great work by Eddie.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

That's one of Gordons biggest strenghts being hard working. Should definitely not try to coach that out of him like :lol:

While he's hard working, he's hard working when pressing. He's not hard working when tracking back.

However, it may be tactical that Howe leaves him spare for a counter attack.

1 minute ago, STM said:

While he's hard working, he's hard working when pressing. He's not hard working when tracking back.

However, it may be tactical that Howe leaves him spare for a counter attack.

I do feel it's the latter. As his defensive positioning was particularly narrow yesterday too, leaving Hall noticeably exposed. I feel that it's an element of 'risk' that we're willing to deploy certainly versus lesser teams in favour of increasing our threat on the break to score.

Edited by Heron

Just watched the replay of the game... What a massive massive effort from the lads. Thought we understandably looked rusty, Gordon especially in that opening half, and Barnes looked more a Championship player than a 50m pound one. All in all though how can you possibly be anything but chuffed at that result? Statement win from us down a man, and we look like we'll be much more of 22/23 newcastle than 23/24.

Also: Thought Longstaff looked much much more effective, more like his usual self, which is a fantastic sign

Edited by Upthemags

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

What for? I haven't seen the whole game 

Barging Gordon down not long before Schär's red. Should have been a yellow, Pawson didn't even give a free kick. Later on (caveat that he might not have done it if he was on a yellow) he got a yellow for blocking Isak after he'd embarrassed him.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

What for? I haven't seen the whole game 

Might be forgetting something that KI is referencing but there was a blatant yellow on Gordon that wasn't given before the blatant yellow on Isak

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Enjoyed Isak giving him some after the incident too.

That was my main takeaway, the fact that the full team immediately decided to rattle the fuck out of him

57 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Enjoyed Isak giving him some after the incident too.

Was more forceful than what pole-axed him from Schar, as was the shrug from Schar, as was the initial fould on Schar by the cunt.

We lacked cohesion before the sending off. No doubt we had a plan for with and without the ball but the players were just that 5% off that makes all the difference.

Once Schar walked we became very determined and once they fucked up, and to my mind they were always going to fuck up at least once, we pounced. After that and especially after half time every move, every decision and every effort became dedicated to that one plan. That kind of made it easier for us. 
I know EH likes to get the ball forward asap and is not in favour of possession without clear fret but I do feel there will be times when it would be handy if we could just keep the ball for a bit, even if it’s just to stop the other team having it. 
I mean, stats said we had 16% possession yesterday, not sure if that’s just the 2nd half but that is atrocious any way you cut it.

I don't know if it's been discussed, but I wonder if this injury prevention expert has had some influence on the level of intensity of our training sessions? Let's be honest, apart from heroic defending we were a non existent entity compared to our usual selves. Even before the sending off we struggled to even complete two passes. 

Edited by Pancrate1892
Spelling

10 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was more forceful than what pole-axed him from Schar, as was the shrug from Schar, as was the initial fould on Schar by the cunt.

Obvs wouldn't condone it but if Longstaff had hit the deck when Brereton pushed him (after THAT tackle/exchange) maybees the slimy wanker would've got a 2nd yellow

One of my biggest takeaways from Saturday, by the way, is just how much we miss Trippier when we have the ball. He dictates the tempo down that side of the pitch. Love Tino, but he doesn’t quite have that control of the game.