Bournemouth vs. Newcastle United: 25/08/24 @ 14:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, Yorkie said:

Seen Hall omitted from a few teams. Did he really have a stinker at the weekend then?

He just didn't look ready, making some naive decisions that put us in danger. Meanwhile Kelly came on and was so calm and assured, so it just seems like the obvious change to make.

Hall still made the clearance off the line and at times looked good though.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Seen Hall omitted from a few teams. Did he really have a stinker at the weekend then?

No he didn’t. Personally I think it would be much worse to be dropped for such a straightforward fixture. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You don't drop a player bases on 1 bad performance. Who are these people ffs?

To be honest, he made a few mistakes but he also did some good stuff with the ball, not to mention the goal line clearance.

But aye, let's just drop him.

I would just aim to have experienced, former AFCB player IN Kelly at LB to keep us super tight. Give him some much needed full match time in a familiar place. 

If it was up to me, our first away match of the season at a place we haven't had much joy under Howe...Id play Trips, Krafu, Burn and Kelly for this one. And then assess fitness for Forest and Spurs. 

12 hours ago, WillDanceForChocolate said:

Another interesting one. Given the Howe connection, I have a suspicion there was some massaging of the fixture computer results to make this our first home match of the season since it's the game where we'll be celebrating 125 years since we were founded. The precursor to the club is even older but that's the official date for this version. I doubt it will change anything that happens on the pitch but for those who are travelling, there might be a few extra things going on given our American owner's love of the razzle-dazzle.

I wouldn't read too much into our first match since we fielded an odd line up due to illness in the camp and no fit or available senior striker. I suspect we'll be a bit more orthodox on Sunday. If we do play like we did against Forest you'll obliterate us but I think and hope we'll be a very different proposition. I don't have any insight on Evanilson apart from his signing feeling about as out there as a Brazilian international striker playing in the English leagues in the 1980s before the Sky money arrived. Not impossible, just highly unlikely. Incidentally, why did you sell Mirandinha? His goal record for you looks alright according to the stats.

If you're going to target something then just aim to bang in loads of crosses. Our keeper looked very shaky on them most of last season and that continued on Saturday. There's some deal in the works for us to get Mamardashvili on loan but that may come to nothing since we're only the third party in a deal between Liverpool and Valencia.

How's the feeling about Howe these days? And do you think there is any truth in the rumours linking him with the England job? Got to be honest, if he did take the job it would be a huge source of pride given his connections to my club. I think I read something about him having less allies in the board room because Staveley and someone else had left. Media nonsense or something in that?

Let's hope for a good match either way. Both teams like to attack so it should be entertaining at the very least.

If it now turns out to be a boring 0-0 you can blame me.

I remember many years ago being in a micropub on Poole Harbour, 'Arry was an occasional visitor I was told, and the barman showed me a betting slip at understandably crazy odds, that he'd just placed for Eddie Howe to get the England job at some time. AFCB were in the third or fourth division at the time.

FWIW I really like your little stadium and it's a great away day down there.

I am intrigued to see how we set up. Last season we just didn’t seem to have any sort of plan on the road, a lot of it down to injuries and availability of players in fairness. Hopefully we are back to our 2023 ways 

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Just the usual. Bit shaky one v one albeit I thought he got better as the game went on.

Looking at Bournemouth’s lineup from the opening game they only had one new player so you’d expect them to be fairly similar to how they played last season where we were obviously shite. Both teams will have it pencilled it in as a game they can win as the attacks are both far superior than the defences so I think it’ll be a decent game.

I wouldn't be benching Hall on the basis of his Southampton performance. He did really well in pre season and deserves more than 70 minutes before he's cast aside. Kelly will get his chance to play and stake a claim against Forest 

I’d still start Hall but he did lose 7/7 duels and was dribbled past 3x more than anyone else on the pitch against Southampton. I wouldn’t be surprised if Eddie sat him out for this one.

15 hours ago, Conjo said:

Much rather we stuck with Hall at LB and *gasp* committed the cardinal sin of playing a left footed player at RCB.

The way teams set up with players cutting in from the right onto the left foot, it might actually not be to much of a bad idea

15 hours ago, Kanji said:

Pope, Tino, Krafu, Burn, Kelly, Long, Bruno, Jow, Murphy, Isak, Gordon

That starting 11 has to be one of the weakest in the top 8

Cant wait to have a few more fit players coming back  , along with a couple of new signings 

PSR - Is really really slowing us down 

I know we are growing year on year , but that gap doesn’t seem to close (much)

Plus point is that our manager is very good at improving players.

lets hope this week is the turning point / transfer breakthrough 

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Why on earth would Howe change the clean sheet back line? 

Bar the obvious.

I just wonder whether without Schar he might fancy  more experienced options in defence and a better header of the ball at left back. So I expect to see Kelly at left back and, fwiw, wouldn’t be surprised to see Trippier start instead of Tino. No fault no blame just using our options. 

16 hours ago, Conjo said:

Much rather we stuck with Hall at LB and *gasp* committed the cardinal sin of playing a left footed player at RCB.

When did it become out of fashion? I was very surprised to see Kraft come on ahead of Kelly. 

Would have been absolutely fuming if they scored at the end after Kraft tried to play a quick free kick at the end which got intercepted. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I just wonder whether without Schar he might fancy  more experienced options in defence and a better header of the ball at left back. So I expect to see Kelly at left back and, fwiw, wouldn’t be surprised to see Trippier start instead of Tino. No fault no blame just using our options. 

Possibly, but can't see Howe making three changes to the back line. Like most managers, he likes consistency in defence.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Think we might see horses for courses with Hall and Kelly all season. 

Hope we include Burn in that. Surely games where Kelly LCB and Hall LB will be better.

7 minutes ago, CPL said:

When did it become out of fashion? I was very surprised to see Kraft come on ahead of Kelly. 

Would have been absolutely fuming if they scored at the end after Kraft tried to play a quick free kick at the end which got intercepted. 

I think Howe has always preferred a right footed CB at RCB and left footed CB at LCB. Not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't he mention something about that back when we signed Burn? He's been true to this set up since we first signed Burn up until the point where injuries forced him to play Schar at LCB for a period last season.