AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Newcastle United (25/08/24)

BlueStar

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Performance to match the general mood around the club currently. Feels like everything has just stagnated.

Highlights we desperately need players to freshen the squad 

There’s no team cohesion to our press, not sure what the players are being asked to do or whether they’re just not implementing it but Bournemouth aren’t being hounded when they’re on the ball which should be our identity out of possession 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Stale is the perfect word for where we are as a club currently imo.

Same players, same style method of play, but without the the energy or momentum that made us successful. It's early says so I don't want to jump to conclusions but it is definitely a worry.

We could really do with two proper signings and Tonali turning up like a player to shake things up.

Worth reminding everyone that we would have been 1-0 up had Gordon been arsed but it's ok lads, keep going after the same players. :lol:

I think Gordon is the biggest let down here, his running and guile is non-existent, whatever is going on there needs to get sorted ASAP, once he's in the mood it opens things up for other players.

We're almost at full strength, this is worse than when we had half the team out.

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Effort from Joelinton once he was robbed was abysmal. Lost it in a dangerous position and just jogged back despite them getting bodies in the box. By the time the ball ends up in the net he's STILL 6 yards outside of the box. At this level that's borderline disgraceful

He’s the one I’m most disappointed in this half. Just gave the ball away time and again and showing no fight whatsoever. We play like this with Joelinton out injured and you’d say we’re missing his aggression. That was Longstaff-esque from him.

Joelinton and Longstaff look vulnerable on the ball. Murphy does some good work, but he's wasted a couple of good situations. The limitations of our midfield are being exposed, but we're hanging on in there.

As long as Isak is around, there's always hope.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's a competitive league. Bournemouth have skillful players with a good manager. They have a CL level striker they've just dropped into the side. This is my real concern with the transfer window - everybody is looking to move forward and improve - you can't afford to stand still.

A dirty part of me really wishes Bruno's release clause was met and we were able to do a refresh with 4-5 signings. At the moment it just looks so.... stale.

As Pep once said, you constanly have to change the team. Even if that means that some sacrifices has to be made. Not sure if that includes selling Bruno, mind. It's pretty complicated, isn't it.. But, it's too early to jump to conclusions anyways.

Edited by Erikse

Just now, Mattoon said:

I think Gordon is the biggest let down here, his running and guile is non-existent, whatever is going on there needs to get sorted ASAP, once he's in the mood it opens things up for other players.

I'm not sure why we've decided to play him up front and not on the wing

I’d take Murphy off, put Barnes on the left and switch Gordon to the right telling him he’s got 20 mins to show he wants to be here. 

I’d also replace Longstaff with Willock and tell them to get their fucking finger out in the middle. Too slow and not strong enough on the ball.

This is why you need to add new players every season, a couple of better players freshens the team up, and give the existing players a boost.  We have to do that in the next week, or we face this kind of stale lifeless performances a lot more.

Just now, STM said:

Worth reminding everyone that we would have been 1-0 up had Gordon been arsed but it's ok lads, keep going after the same players. :lol:

Which is a worry in itself- he was the same last week 

2 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Taking Hall out has taken away technical ability down the left, as for being more solid defensively Kelly failed to stop the cross anyway.. and are we playing Real Madrid away or something to be making a ‘defensive’ change??

Once again refusing to play Barnes - Gordon is clearly rusty as hell with no pre season… why the need to play him no matter what his condition? Yes he’s been great, but you paid £40m for someone to challenge him… this playing players no matter what the form/condition is detrimental.  

Lastly, I’m sorry but Joelinton is a (good but) limited midfielder, he lacks nous and technical ability and someone like Billy Gilmour should have been brought in to add a more settled midfield passing pattern of play. 

Don't think we can bench Gordon until the transfer window is shut... Can you imagine the noise it would make if we did.

It got written off as being caused by the injuries, but this was the standard away performance all last season, from the start. 

No structure, massive gaps between attack and defence, no intensity. 

There is no excuse for the latter now. Where has our press gone? Where are the bodies driving up the pitch when we turn the ball over?

Nobody is breaking their neck to run beyond the ball, it's all static and lethargic. When Joelinton lost the ball for the goal, aye it was shite by him, but he had no one to pass to. No full back bombing on, Gordon jogging himself into being marked, midfield stood static. If you play with no bravery as a team, you'll lose the ball like that time and time again. 

Big changes needed in the second half and in away games going forward. 

Really disappointed by lack of guile and fluidity going forward. Isak and Bruno doing ok. Kelly tidy and safe. Murphy must have had three times as much involvement as Gordon who just isn’t on it; for whatever reason. Can and must do better all round. 

God I hate this place. Shit tight looking pitch with always 5 swamping us in midfield. Pitch looks beautiful but the ball bounces around us like it's Tynemouth beach. 

Players look like they've ran the great north run first

It’s the same old problem of a lack of technical ability in midfield and on the wings, so we struggle to keep the ball and we shit the bed whenever we’re pressed. If we’re not able to play at 100mph we’re in trouble.